Spirit of confrontation

LASur5er - I like it when I clock out and I know it's pau hana, but getting clocked out is never going to be acceptable. I think I ended up venting coz the majority of the situations I find hostility in, I have restraints (i.e. lawsuits, "civilized" behavior" etc) so even though I know pretty much what's the best way to take 'em down and disengage fast, it's everything leading up to that point that is so damn hard for a dumb keiki like me to read.

In this age of people going violent at the workplace (i.e. Xerox shooting) it's so much more important to figure out when them bad apples go coocoo ... wish things were simpler.

By the way senpai, your Japanese is pono :) No worries. My pidgin is about as rusty as (insert crap firearm of your choice here.)

fubsy - If I flamed on you then I am very, very, very sorry. I've had the utmost respect for your posts from day one. I'm not really proud of my family history in the way that it reflects on me. If the communists had left things well alone my dad's family would have carried on being silkweavers, my mom's would have been minor gentry. My uncles would have chased water buffalo in the fields, ridden motorcycles, done all those bucolic things we take for granted. Really makes me wonder how quickly people forget just because the Soviets are gone ... communists are still around. We pay for short memories.

fubsy, there's not much translated in the way of military texts, compared to what's out there ... try to get a hold of:

(1) "The Seven Military Classics of Ancient China :Wu Ching Chi Shu (History and Warfare)"
by Ralph D. Sawyer (Translator), Mei-Chun Sawyer (Editor)

(2) "Three Kingdoms: A Historical Novel. Abridged Edition [ABRIDGED]"
by Kuan-Chung Lo, Moss Roberts, Luo Guanzhong, John S. Service

The first will make you completely up to date on pretty much the majority of classical Chinese military thought ... the second is the only readable translated edition of the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" I have ever been able to find in English. You'll enjoy both. I grew up with the second ... it's like the Tales of King Arthur for Chinese kids ... Chinese politicians even today quote the people out of it, take their sayings and assume their roles.

I'm thinking of the implacable knight Zhao Yun as I write ... the centeredness he had in all his life. fubsy, thank you so much for reminding me of what's important.

everyone, thank you for your wisdom. try to get hold of the two books above when you can. You won't regret it :)

Dragontooth 73,
I was teaching a class in utilizing 'chi for daily living in one of the local community colleges.
This was the first time I taught this kind of class instead of self-defense or a martial arts class, so the type of people were generally older folks, who had more of a live and let live attitude towards life....sheeple type?
So we were doing meditation to relax everyone, when someone felt a spider on her calf. She gently picked it up in her palm and put it down on the mat. I felt that we needed to go into moving meditation, so I asked a very nice, gentle looking lady if she would move the spider out of the way so that it couldn't get hurt.
She eyeballed the spider and splattered it on the mat with one stomp of her foot.
turned out that in that class we had more people that had a hidden tiger inside of them and they needed someone to give them a way to bring it out. Most of them signed up for the self-defense course that was offered the following semester.
Dragontooth 73, thought you might get a little laugh out of this story. (You have that tiger inside of you.)

LOL

My mom's grandma is a seer. You know some ob dem wahines hab dem kaula (prophecy) powers ... my mom predicted all of my 17 motorcycle crashes. I'd come home and she'd already know, whether I was hiding a bleeding leg or if I didn't have a scratch on me. She just knew.

My grandma, she knew when I was born coz she saw a dream of a tiger cub jumping into her lap ... straight she makes a call to Japan, says "he's born, isn't he?"

I wish I had that inside of me, awake.

People often mistake "politeness" for "fear" or "lack of spirit".

When a red-headed, freckled, mean-as-a-striped-a$$-snake little girl moved from Chicago down to Georgia as a child, she had a hard lesson coming about the Southern mindset: A Southerner will be polite to you right up to the point where they are mad enough to kill you. I came home with a couple of sandlot black eyes before I completely grokked that lesson. Now I espouse it myself; I find it nice and civilized, as well as helping with the element of surprise should I ever actually have to take a swing... ;)

------------------
"..but never ever Fear. Fear is for the enemy. Fear and Bullets."
10mm: It's not the size of the Dawg in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!

Exactly. If the situation seems to be escalating, I typically get more and more polite, to the point of being genteel.

Tamara, what shop do you work from? I used to go to Bernie's in Norcross, but now usually go to Dave's Gun Room, since I moved.

Hey I thought this thread was dead ... lol

There's a continuation to my story though. Another thread. About to post latest developments ...

Wait ... on second thought no ... I shouldn't mention names even if I do get :mad: ... moderators please close the other thread per request. Mahalo'z

[This message has been edited by dragontooth73 (edited November 09, 2000).]

Dunno if this is actually warranted, but don't let the low folks of this world get you down... There's plenty of nice folks out there.

And, worse comes to worse, if the SOB hits you, make sure that you have witnesses, so that when you get up off the floor (you _WILL_ be on the floor - make it look darn spectacular), and dial 911, the SOB will go directly to jail. Just don't hit the sucker back, or make any move at all that is threatening toward him. That's going to be the hard part.

The hard part about self defense isn't whether or not you can hit the target. That's usually fairly easy. It's the "shoot/don't shoot" time that's a real nut cutter... Does one go "full blown paranoid" (some folks call it condition _fill in the blank_) when confronted with an "almost" threat while walking down the street, or does one just keep moving?

BTW, dude, 17 motorcycle wrecks? Could I suggest a different means of conveyance? (grin)

[This message has been edited by Bogie (edited November 10, 2000).]

I walked away from every one =) I used to race in Tokyo so it wouldn't have been messed up as, say, if I'd done it in LA. Smaller bikes rule in narrow streets. 250s, 400s are the weapon of choice.

I personally went with a 50. Reasons: light, cheap. Not the best thing for serious straight-run drag races, but in daytime traffic? Unbeatable for weaving in and out.

Oh and as for the work thing, I had my resignation "granted" after a manager made a borderline racist crack on wednesday. Funny as hell, now I have to walk in there today and in 2 weeks to collect my overdue paychecks. Buggahs all of them. But now I've got free license to beat the @#$% out of all the rats and I'm going to watch them run :)

Sheesh. Methinks you gave up too easy... Go by the nice store, and gitcherself one of those little tape records. Get the tape kind rather than the digital kind. Have it in a shirt pocket when you go to work, and know which button to press to have it turn on. If you don't have any shirts with button flaps, go get one. I recommend the ones that Browning makes (wearing one now).

Sue their asses.

"I hate Illinois Nazis." - Jake Blues

Back