Speer shot capsules for .44 Magnum

I'm hoping that means you are going to undertake to test all the ideas, while we sit back and sip a good quality aged whiskey and nod approvingly.

The core stripping I referred to would be the capsule accelerating to spin while inertia kept the shot from following it. At muzzle exit, the greater mass of the shot would slow the lighter capsule much more than the capsule could add spin to the shot. It would be in proportion to their relative moments of inertia around the spin axis.

The term 'core stripping' comes from the phenomenon occurring in some jacketed rifle bullets where the copper jacket is accelerated so rapidly it slips over the lead core, failing to bring it fully to rotational speed. When such a bullet exits the barrel, the core is spinning more slowly than the jacket is, dragging the jacket rotation down while the jacket spins the core up less.

"I'm hoping that means you are going to undertake to test all the ideas, while we sit back and sip a good quality aged whiskey and nod approvingly."

It all depends on whether I find something better to do because the most time-consuming thing was measuring, cutting, and taping the old rolls of exam table paper to make the 30 x 35" targets. Counting all the holes was another issue, especially when my wife interrupted me at hole #46 with a question that made me forget which number I had just counted......

especially when my wife interrupted me at hole #46 with a question that made me forget which number I had just counted.....

Use a multi color pack of magic markers. Circle or "dot" each hole, change colors every ten holes. Not foolproof, but if you lose track, you don't have to go all the way back to the beginning. ;)

44AMP, that's a good idea. I found a wife-proof solution, though. I ignore her and count out loud and she gets the idea. Taking a swig of that good aged whiskey, then keep counting, also makes an impact.

Back