Speer 6.5 mm Hot Cor

I had a very accurate 145 HC in my 7mmRM. Loaded it to 3160 and it was a BOMB. Last deer taken eviscerated a 150# buck at 160 yards and blew the right ham on the ground. Speer advises any Hot Cor bullet be kept below 3000fps. I've got some 120 HC that are accurate in my 260, but I load them to 2800.
In the creedmoor with the 22 inch barrel I am probably gonna be in the 2900 range. Besides I will probably have them all shot up before hunting season rolls around.

I bought a sporter rifle to hunt with in 6.5 creedmoor. And a Remington 700 5r gen 2 for range and target work. Haven't settled on what bullets I am gonna use yet for which rifle. I have 5 or 6 different bullets in various weights
right now. I try to use bullets that are ok to hunt with in all my rifles even if I don't intend to hunt with them.

Last edited:
"Did Wyo just B slap the Manbun?
Seemed akin to comparing velocities of the 6.5-300 Weatherby to 6.5-223.
I think Wyo oughta clarify himself! That sounded like he was scoffing at my manbun rifle...."

Huh?
What are you guys talking about.
I only said I'd like some feed back on that bullet too.

I never mentioned anything else.

???????????????

The 120 hot core isnt made anymore so when I am out there wont be any to be had. I may indeed get some Gold dot though.

Right now I have a bunch of 143 grain eldx and 129 grain interlocks. Plus so far The best shooting bullet for all 3 of my 6.5 rifles has been the 130 grain Sierra Tipped game king. They are more expensive than the interlock though. So I will probably load the 129 grain interlock for my deer rifle chambered in 6.5 since I have so many of them. I may just use the box of 120's I have and move on from them. Or get some 120 grain Gold dot in the future as mentioned earlier.

Wyosmith, I don't really need these 120 grain Hot cor bullets. And I can;t get any more of them. If you want the box that I have. Cover shipping costs and they are yours.

...The Grand Slams were not developed to be a long range bullet, so who cares what the aerodynamics of it is?
Well...

As a matter of fact (according to the SPEER ballisticians) the new .264/140 gr. Grand Slam has a BC of 0.498.

$0.28/bullet, not counting the Rebate.

Got a lifetime supply for my 6.5x55mm Swede.

Red

Last edited:
Well...

As a matter of fact (according to the SPEER ballisticians) the new .264/140 gr. Grand Slam has a BC of 0.498.

I believe their website may be in error. For years Speer has claimed a B.C. of 0.498 for the 140g HotCor, not the GS. Now their website shows 0.498 for the GS and 0.405 for the HotCor. I believe they likely have those listed in reverse.

Back