Speer 6.5 mm Hot Cor

kilotanker22

Picked up some Speer 120 grain Hot Cor for my 6.5 Creedmoor. A steal at $5 a box.

Anyone here ever use them for deer hunting? 120 too light? Probably be firing them around 2900 fps

Probably work fine. The HotCor bullets I've used in the past need to be driven pretty fast to expand, but 2,900 will likely do the trick.

The 260 was designed for deer hunting with 120 gr bullets. No reason they wouldn't work out of any other 6.5 chambering. The 6.5 CM was designed to be able to handle heavier bullets easier than 260, but there is no law saying you can't shoot lighter bullets too.

That's what I was figuring. I was able to get 2920 out of 130 grain bullets so I assume 2950 is not unreasonable.

For deer with this rifle I would personally like the myself to 300 yards

I shot 148 hot cor at app 3050 fps for many years in the 7 mag. The bullet was absolutely devastating on Whitetails. I quit shooting it because they got so hard to find. I shot 35 to 40 deer with them. Never had one not exit. Never lost a deer with them. Never had an exit wound smaller than a quarter. Most were about the size of a half dollar.

Last edited:
I'd love to get this answer too.

I have used those in a 6.5X55 and they didn't hold together and penetration was poor on deer, but at the lower velocity of the CM they may be good.
Please let us know.

We hunted with them from 1976 until about 2007, then they got hard to find around these parts. Everything that was hit was a one shot kill between me and my Dad.

Speer does not recommend muzzle velocities greater than 2900 fps.

If your velocities are higher, they recommend the Grand Slam or the Mag Tip. I know they still make the Grand Slam, but not sure about the Mag Tip.

Speer does not recommend muzzle velocities greater than 2900 fps.
I don't shoot many deer at the muzzle. I never had one fail and many were well above 2900. The Grand Slam is tough, but has the aerodynamics of an Elephant.

I don't shoot many deer at the muzzle. I never had one fail and many were well above 2900. The Grand Slam is tough, but has the aerodynamics of an Elephant.

I have never shot one at the muzzle either. I never had one fail in the 30 years or so that we used them.

BUT, you use them however you want, but usually when you use something outside of its design range, don't blame it, blame yourself.

I was just stating what Speer recommends, nothing else.

The Grand Slams were not developed to be a long range bullet, so who cares what the aerodynamics of it is?

Now, everyone cares.

That's just a silly phase we're going through.

Millions of people still shoot the .30-30 and big bores and lever guns, and at least that many don't consider that a round designed for 1,000 feet or even yards matter unless they are hunting in long range settings. Here in the woods of missouri or in many other forests a high ballistic coefficient is no more necessary than the chamomile mango sugar scrub foot butter (for men) that I notices last week as I sought out "bad boy bay rum."

Mark my words well, grasshopper, sometime in the future there will be a huge drop in popularity of needle pointed creedmoor style and bows will have continued growing, and when the self-ranging and auto compensating scopes come out they will sell well, but the demand for high light gathering glass might exceed the demand for long range specialty.

"...120 too light?..." Not for deer. Lots of lighter bullet weights in smaller calibres used for deer. It does appear that Speer doesn't make a 120 anymore though. Silly people quit making my 90 grain .243" FMJ's too.

Now, everyone cares.
I don't.
You are on the isle of Antiquity. Seriously, the fact that Speer sells very few of them is evidence that most shooters now care. We now can have bullets that, expand well, stay together, penetrate, and have a high B.C.

I don't really shoot past 300 much. I am capable and have on plenty of occasions. The only reason I bought these bullets is because they were cheap ($5 a box)

I also bought several boxes of 129 grain Interlock Spire points. Seeing that Speer does not make these anymore. When I run out I will just continue to shoot the eldx and game changer bullets I have.

Wait....
Did Wyo just B slap the Manbun?
Seemed akin to comparing velocities of the 6.5-300 Weatherby to 6.5-223. :D

At least that's how i took it. ;)

My own take on the Hotcor is as thus.
While i have not had the oportunity to try them on game, they have been accurate bullets in my rifles out to 600 yards.
While i'm shooting 7mm, 130gr, i have learned not to shoot steel silhouettes that are anchored with the 7mm Rem Mag out to 200 meters.
Looks like you drilled a 1/2" hole through the target. :rolleyes:

I had a very accurate 145 HC in my 7mmRM. Loaded it to 3160 and it was a BOMB. Last deer taken eviscerated a 150# buck at 160 yards and blew the right ham on the ground. Speer advises any Hot Cor bullet be kept below 3000fps. I've got some 120 HC that are accurate in my 260, but I load them to 2800.

Back