Speer 10mm 200gr Gold Dot in Clear Ballistics Gel

That velocity seems to stir up the old "might as well carry a .40 S&W" argument. Underwood and possibly other companies load this weight in 10mm up to a reliable 1250fps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFUAmIgR918

Yeah, lower recoil is nice but it also provokes the same argument. I like .40 S&W. I use it to do .40 S&W sorts of things. If I was going to spend the cash on a 10mm pistol and ammo, I'd want it to do 10mm sorts of things.

Yep.

That's why for years the hardcore 10mm fans have said: if all you want a 10mm pistol for is to shoot only (or mostly) '40-level' loads, DON'T get a 10mm. Get a .40 pistol and be done with it.

Why waste your money on downloaded '40'-performance from the more expensive 10mm case? Just stick with the .40 cartridge.

And although you can load or find 10mm ammo topped with all the same bullet-weights as the .40S&W, where the 10mm really shines - velocity-wise - is in its ability to push the 'heavy-weights' very fast ... starting at 200gns and up.

Especially with the advent of 'Glock-friendly' polycoated hard-cast slugs (slick to feed, and no leading up the barrel). You can load 220gn 10mm HC slugs to 1250fps, and 200gn HC slugs to 1275fps.

Try doing that in a .40 pistol and you get a hand-grenade. :eek:

This might sound ridiculous but I have a sentimental preference for 1250 fps. From my pocket gun in .327 slinging 85-grain projectiles to a woods gun in 10mm slinging 200-grain projectiles, I'd love to one day have the same velocity standardized at different weights between my handgun calibers. :)

Cosmodragoon:

Heh. I have something similar for 1000fps in 158gr .38spl/.357mag and 180gr-240gr .44spl/.44mag.

1000fps plus a hard cast LSWC for critters or a soft LSWC-HP for personnel.

Versus critters, hard & fast enough to penetrate length-ways through anything I am likely to encounter. Versus humans, at the sweet spot for soft LSWC-HP effectiveness. Both without full-magnum recoil.

That velocity seems to stir up the old "might as well carry a .40 S&W" argument. Underwood and possibly other companies load this weight in 10mm up to a reliable 1250fps:

Unless the pistol you own and like to shoot is a 10mm. Then this ammo gives you the ability to carry your 10mm as a self-defense pistol with ammo matched to the task.

Not every 357mag is loaded with full power ammo all the time...same deal

Really, for woods, XTP round because it won't fall apart like other rounds due to its construction for not expanding as well as the HST or Gold Dot.

But for personal defense, there really isn't a 10mm round better than a 9mm HST. It hits at exactly 16" and is one of the biggest expansion rounds in 9mm.

The HST bullet is just better than a hot road Gold Dot that goes past the maximum inches but still with equal expansion. What is being accomplished at that point?

Last edited:
Back