speedloaders

HKS and Safariland are the two biggest manufacturers of speed loaders. For actual speed of use, the Safariland are the best. You may need to use different grips on your gun so that they fit without binding on the loader. I use HKS when hunting, simply as a means of carrying extra ammo...they aren't quite as fast. When I was shooting major competition I used Safariland exclusively. Neither brand is that expensive and it comes down to personal preference.

I have used HKS speed loaders for decades without any problems in terms of execution and reliability/durability, so they are the ones I "prefer"-but with this relevant caveat: I've never used Safariland units. Maybe it's time I give them a try-though familiarity and experience with HKS units over the years will make a switch to Safariland difficult, if not unlikely; not to mention the fact that I already own dozens of brand "X" speed loaders. :)

If you can find one, Longwitz SL Variants are the best, made in Germany.

Spring loaded, secure and very fast.
I found five for my Ruger security six on the big auction, and one for my Ruger LCR's.
Average price was 35.00 each, but I've seen them go for over 80.00 each!:eek:

For carry, a Safariland CompII. For competition, ("Bubberized") JetLoaders.

JetLoader2.jpg

I've only ever used HKS, they can be had for 8 bucks or less.. Last one's I bought I got from a gunshow 3 for 20$

quality is fine on them.. probably better faster ones but the HKS loaders are pretty sturdy.

Just make sure it lines up with your cylinder so it's a good drop in.
also watch out for grips, sometimes they get in the way and require trimming.

I prefer the Jet speedloaders..in my K and L frames.../ they don't make them for N frames for some reason...

In my N frames I've gone to Star loaders..

another HKS user. I use them in my S&W 642 .38, my rossi circuit judge in .22lr, my Taurus 94 .22lr and Taurus 627ss tracker .357

v-fib

Those SpeedBeez L-2 posted about are a take off on the old Dade Screw Machine loaders which were popular around the police PPC matches I attended in the mid-1970s. They didn't hold up well to rough handling but for smooth, clean reloads under the generous time limits of the NRA PPC course, they were the bees-knees. (slight play on words intended)

I always told my students the Safariland or HKS were the best choices for social used (self defense). My preference these days are Moonclips. I use them for 45 ACP revolvers and the 7-shot L-frame I just acquired.

Dave

Safariland Comp IIs.

They hold the rounds firmly and they don't wiggle around. The push to release is very fast and sure. I think they are better and faster than HKS speedloaders. They seem to load more sure with less chance of fumbling and bumbling, not to mention jumbling.

I used HKS for years... and if I am using speedloaders, that is my go-to. I picked up some speedstrips (Tuff, I believe), but not something that I like.

Now, I converted my 642-1 to 9mm. Now, doing S&W moon clips. Very happy with them, as .38s in HKS speedloaders are a lot longer than 9mm in moon clips.

I am debating converting my 629-1 over to moon clips... but unsure. I like them, but the costs of the machining and then a BMT loader (I only use them with moon clips) is a lot more than just dealing with HKS speedloaders.

I may do a R8 or something similar... which I'll probably get a few speedloaders and moon clips/loader.

Unless you're shooting competition, you won't really know which are the best. Go to a shoot and see what the pros/top shooters are using and then you'll know which are best. Unless you're shooting where speed counts and the difference is 1/100th sec between winning or losing, they're just something to carry shells around in. I can tell you from experience, HKS are not the fastest. I do use them for carrying shells around in when I'm deer hunting. They're faster than fumbling around in your pocket looking for shells to reload, they're cheap, and durable.
Note: Moon clips are faster than anything if you have a gun you can use them in. Ask Jerry M. why he uses them.

I have both HKS and Safariland. For duty use I used HKS. Easier to get out of the speedloader pouch and almost as fast to reload. Ah, for the fun days of DA revolver shooting.

Back