speedloaders+gp100 ?

tog

hello there, been hiding about for a while
got a ? or two
does anyone make speedloaders for the ruger redhawk in 44 mag?
do they make speedloaders for the gp100? (thinking about getting one of these the kgp 141

how much smaller is the kgp141 than the redhawk?
my redhawk fits perfect, and i like the grips that come wit it, ( iam big boy, recoil not much a problem for me) want to know if gp 100 will fit hand and if i should replace it for my nightstand gun instead og glock g21 which i really like and has never failed me, but i tend to not get out to shoo very often so worried about springs in mags and leaving it sitting for a while?
wat you think?

Ruger isn't dumb :).

The SP101 eats from speedloaders made for the S&W J-frame 5-shot .38Spl/.357 revolvers.

The GP100 eats from six-shot speedloaders made for the S&W L-frame sixguns such as the 686, or the Python .38/.357.

The Redhawk/SRH uses S&W N-frame speedloaders. Not certain, but I think the .44Mag speedloaders will also feed .45LC and .454Casull ammo too.

In any case, unlike Taurus, Ruger always makes sure there are speedloaders available for their DA defense-caliber guns.

HKS SPEEDLOADERS

My GP's use HKS.

My 41 Redhawk uses HKS.

My 44 Redhawk uses HKS.

My 45 Redhawk needs some other speedloader, because I haven't found one yet (haven't really tried too hard; the 44 gets so hot during long IPSC stages I'm pretty sure the 45 will be even worse).
(HKS may have one for 45 LC, the one used for 625.)

Suggestion: try Pachmayr Decelerators on your GP100. Might fit you good.

Hi Tog :) I have a KGP-161 and find that the HKS sppedloaders work really well. They hold the cartridges firmly in place, and seem to be well constructed (guess I won't know till I break one haha). If memory serves, I think Safriland makes a speedloader for different Ruger models. Their speedloaders are set up to more or less "inject" the cartridges, as opposed to a twisting release mechanism.

On the subject of grips: I replaced the stock grips on my GP-100 to Hogue monogrips. I like what they are made of and I like that they cover more of the backstrap since I have big hands. What I don't like about the Hogue's is that they are thinner and they also have finger grooves that don't fit me well. I haven't installed Pachmayr's yet, but held some in a shop, and I like the way they feel. They don't have finger grooves, and seem to be a little heavier (I feel this extra weight might help balance out my 6" barrel.)

I think I will opt for the Decelerator in the end, and when I get it it may be from here: http://www.shooterssupply.com/Smyrna_StoreFront/asp_storefront/FrameSet.asp
They seem to be having a sale on what I want.

Take Care,
Rhyno :p

EXPERIENCE

The Decelerators have mild grooves, but they seem perfectly placed for my hand, allowing a 'high' DA-style grip that enhances quick follow-up shots (think IPSC/USPSA).

Gottem on my Redhawks too.....
Enough clearance for HKS speedloaders!

HKS #29 .44mag speedloader handles 454 Casull ammo just fine. Just now checked. Don't know how well would line up in gun tho.

Sam

C.R.Sam

I'll run down to the shop safe and check if my 45 Colt rounds (that fit? in my HKS 44 speedloader) will line up in my 45 Colt Redhawk!!!!!

That would decide for me which gun I'll use at our December (snow) USPSA match.......

WHOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES THEY FIT!!!!!

HKS #29 holds the 45 Colt cartridge, and it fits PERFECTLY in my 45 REDHAWK!!!!!!!!!

C.R.Sam, thank you from the bottom of my (cheap-bastard) heart!
Thought I was gonna have a SL Variant 10-loader bill someday.

-------------------------------------------------

'now ALL my handguns are competition/carry handguns!"

This is scary. Can't have speedloaders that fit guns that I don't have. And I have some 5 round .44mag loaders too.

Guess that means that I have to get two .454s and two .45s.

Sam....so many guns, so little sense.

BEST PART

Now at our December (snow) match instead of the 9x21 (already loaded ammo), or one of my 9x19 Witnesees, or the 1911 or the GP's, I'll be shootin' my 5.5" stainless (snow don't bother it) 45 Colt Redhawk.

Wonder what load I'll use..........bet it makes IPSC Major (lesseenow, 300g XTP-HP at 1309fps is 392,700; that makes Major).
Hmmm.......maybe I should tone that down a bit, or we'll never find the plates.
255g LSWC at 800fps.....ooh, that makes more sense!

WESHOOT2--why don't you just go out and BUY some .45 LC "Blazers"...wouldn't even hafta' worry about pickin' up the empties in the "Whiteout" conditions in the "Great White North"....mikey357

Jim March be da Man. He sowed the seed that led to all this tryin.

Haden't been for him, I'da never thunk to try.

Sam

I KINDA LIKE THE SOUND (BUT NOT THE NOISE) OF SUPER-MAJOR (KINDA LIKE SUPER-SENIOR)

No one on this thread ever needs to ask why TFL is the best or why I spend so much time here; thank you Jim and Sam.

mikey357, I manufacture handgun ammo, and although I personally think CCI Blazers are a great value and often prove to provide the best accuracy from many individual guns, the cases are TRASH and should be treated as trash, not just left on the ground.

I had read somewhere that .44Mag N-frame speedloaders fit the .44Mag Ruger Redhawk/SRH. And I knew the cylinder bore centers had to be identical between .44Mag and .45LC because gunsmiths do conversions of the former to the latter all the time :).

The only remaining question was whether or not the .44Mag speedloader holes for the rounds were sloppy enough to hold .45LC/.454 :D. I suspected they had to be, because the rims on the 45s are narrower which is probably making up for the fatter shell bore. The total rim diameter on .44Mag and .45LC are probably right in the same ballpark?

DON'T KNOW THE TECHNICAL CRAP

But they FIT !!!!!!!!!!!!
Just means I gotta make sure I bring the right combo's, or just bring'em all.

Yeah, I like that better.

Hmmmmm.......41, 44, or 45? (Still getting HKS's for the 357 Redhawk, but not as urgent due to its 7.5" tube.)

Weshoot2: the Redhawk .357 *has* to take the same speedloader as an S&W model 27. Or 28, which is the same thing.

Reasoning: The S&W 27 can be converted to .44Mag, in which case it becomes a 29. That means the cylinder bore centers and barrel hole in the frame location are identical.

In the same fashion, a .357 Redhawk can be retrofitted to .44Mag. Although due to their recent rarity, that's unheard of now. So again, all the centers are the same.

So the cylinder centers on the 27/28 are identical to Redhawk .357. And they're both sixguns.

Same speedloader. I'd bet good money on it.

Jim March

I knew about the 357 Redhawk/M27 loaders, but I have no real urge to use the 7.5"er in IPSC (will someday, promise LOL).
Slow draw.

Thanks again!

Back