Speed Strips? More Like Slow Strips- Help

Orionegnr,

That's a great idea, I'll have to try the blindfold method.

Well you guys helped figure out what I'm doing wrong. Instead of holding the cylinder all the way out during reloads, I've been trying to keep it partially open... Here's what I mean.

The way I was doing it before..

44f6cd6d-a999-6aaa.jpg

The new method..

44f6cd6d-a9ce-81a3.jpg

The cylinder is more stable and easier to line up with the rounds. I think this might be the answer to my problems. Thanks for all the advice.

Edit:

I feel kinda dumb for not figuring this out a while ago. With the cylinder all the way out it's harder to manipulate and keep steady. Oh well, thats what practice is for.

Last edited:
Maybe you should consider something like this:

5roundspeedloadersafariland.jpg

For me, speed strips are only speedier than trying to load from a jumble of rounds loose in my pocket.

Secret agent man,

I'm guessing that holster is worn small of back? I don't know if I could comfortably carry one revolver back there, let alone two. Very cool rig though!

Speed Strips are a whole lot smoother than loose rounds in your pocket or a dump pouch. And a whole lot easier to carry than Speedloaders.

Oops

In my previous post in this thread, I left out something important. A left handed shooter transfers the revolver to his right hand to open the cylinder and clear the brass. The gun is then returned to the left hand and loaded exactly as a right handed shooter would load it. If using speed strips, load two at a time in the chambers furthest away from the frame.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret.

There's probably nothing wrong with your technique or your speed strips. The problem is your brain - you are trying to load a revolver using a semi-automatic brain.

When we grow up in the semi-auto world, how are we taught to load our magazines? To the fullest capacity, right?

Think about your revolver. You have a 1 five-shot gun, right?

WRONG! You have 5, one-shot guns. How many rounds do you need to stop the bad guy? HINT - The answer is 1.

If you are in a SHTF situation and you use all 5 rounds currently loaded in the gun, why would you want to waste precious time trying to jam another 5 in there? Get one round in, quickly, efficiently, and effectively. Close that cylinder, and keep pulling that trigger until she goes boom, and make that one shot count. Rinse, and repeat.

You may also benefit from some private training. I offer private lessons here in Richmond and could show you a proper grip for reloading scenarios.

Looking at the pictures I think the problem is that you are reaching around the frame of the revolver to hold the cylinder. Instead wrap you fingers around the bottom of the frame "through" the window opened by the cylinder swinging out.

You can get your index finger and thumb to pinch and steady the cylinder. Along with the 2-2-1 method this will help. Google Mas Ayoob and the Stress Fire system to see pictures. I recommend the book.

Back