Speed loaders for S&W 442

Fastbolt -- nice photos! Looks like you and I share another hobby too :) Now I'm geeking out and wondering how you lit those photos with the hat, but that's for a different forum I guess :)

I just found a very good price on some Crimson Trace laser grips and I'll see how those work with speedloaders. I wanted the laser anyway. I'll practice to become proficient at quick reloads in the revolver, but I don't expect I'll ever reach expert levels.

Speed strips

I carry speed strips. I personally think they are not as fast as speed loaders, but lay more flush to my body for concealment. I use these pouches:

SAM_0290_zpsmgbfofa3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

SAM_0293_zpsisuk8pbx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Speed strips
I carry speed strips. I personally think they are not as fast as speed loaders, but lay more flush to my body for concealment.

"Speed strips" (an oxymoron if there ever was one) are more comfortable to carry and are easier to conceal alright, but they are anything but speedy when it comes to reloading a revolver quickly while under the stress of a gun fight. Best to pack a bulkier speed loader so as to survive a gun fight by getting your empty revolver back in play faster. Much faster.

Never had any issues with HKS. All my J frames use either Uncle Mike's boot grips or Altamont. Do they go in perfectly straight? No Does that really matter? NO

Personally, I do not carry speed loaders. Too bulky! I use a 2x2x2 carrier on my belt as primary for reloads supplemented by speed strips.

Never had any issues with HKS. All my J frames use either Uncle Mike's boot grips or Altamont. Do they go in perfectly straight? No Does that really matter? NO

Personally, I do not carry speed loaders. Too bulky! I use a 2x2x2 carrier on my belt as primary for reloads supplemented by speed strips.

Well, the only thing that really matters is being able to get fresh rounds into the charge holes in the cylinder, after all, right? ;)

I would add, as quickly as possible.

Well, in a fast and fuzzy situation it would be prudent not to dawdle. ;)

Speedloaders are quick, but experienced wheelgunners can also be pretty quick using either strips or a belt slide that allows for grabbing spare rounds in a 2X2X2 or 2X2X1 manner.

Also, I'd not discount being able to dump empties and quickly replace only 1 or 2 fresh rounds to quickly get them into action in some circumstances. This obviously means knowing how to deftly index and close the cylinder so the next round that comes under the hammer with the DA trigger press is the fresh round(s). ;)

We used to have to demonstrate this basic skill when shooting a qual course where we had to shoot 10 rounds from our service revolvers, which required loading with only 4 fresh rounds. This was all done during a part of the course-of-fire where we ran forward from the 50yd line to the 25yd line, and then fired, reloaded and fired a total of 10rds, all within 25 seconds, using standing or kneeling and 1 or 2-handed (a rather generous time constraint, and 2-handed shooting was recommended due to the speed and 25yd distance to the target).

Or course, back in those days the practice of removing a couple of fired empties to "top off"the cylinder with a couple of fresh rounds required some skill in manipulation, too. Some guys had gun belts that had a pair of bullets in loops located just in front of their holster for that purpose, even if they carried 2 or 3 speedloaders (or had more loops on the rear of their gun belts).

Interesting thread. My own experience is that HKS speedloaders work great with Uncle Mike’s grips but those grips have been out of production for some years now. I find the speedloader hangs up on the current (or recent) OEM boot grips without trimming some material. (Never understood why they were not designed with more clearance.) I have replaced the current OEM grips on my j-frames with current OEM grips with Hogue Bantams which at first felt a wee bit small and a touch sticky but have really grown on me and work great with HKS. I used to use Bianchi Speed Strips quite a lot but found, over time, that they become brittle and can split open without warning while using them. I then checked my supply of spares and found most had become brittle. They aren’t terribly expensive but one cracking at the wrong time is not a cheerful thought. Speedloaders are faster and more durable, if less concealable. I’ve not tried other speedloaders since HKS loaders are so commonly found.

Last edited:
Also, I'd not discount being able to dump empties and quickly replace only 1 or 2 fresh rounds to quickly get them into action in some circumstances. This obviously means knowing how to deftly index and close the cylinder so the next round that comes under the hammer with the DA trigger press is the fresh round(s).

We used to have to demonstrate this basic skill when shooting a qual course where we had to shoot 10 rounds from our service revolvers, which required loading with only 4 fresh rounds. This was all done during a part of the course-of-fire where we ran forward from the 50yd line to the 25yd line, and then fired, reloaded and fired a total of 10rds, all within 25 seconds, using standing or kneeling and 1 or 2-handed (a rather generous time constraint, and 2-handed shooting was recommended due to the speed and 25yd distance to the target).

Or course, back in those days the practice of removing a couple of fired empties to "top off"the cylinder with a couple of fresh rounds required some skill in manipulation, too. Some guys had gun belts that had a pair of bullets in loops located just in front of their holster for that purpose, even if they carried 2 or 3 speedloaders (or had more loops on the rear of their gun belts).
Not to step on anyone's toes, but I've always had my doubts about whether practicing this skill should be a priority if one carries their ammo in speedloaders. Though, I suppose it could be an expedient that one might use if they only carried reloads in speed strips or as loose rounds.

It seems to me that dumping the rounds in the cylinder and dropping in a fresh full cylinder with a speedloader would be less prone to fumble and quicker under stress with eyes up looking at or for threats, than loading one or a few loose and trying to index them (again without looking).

Back