speed draw par time...?

Koda94

from 7 to 10 yds whats an appropriate par time for drawing and firing a hit on target*?

Beginner, intermediate and advanced?
from concealed or open carry?

my google-fu isn't strong for me tonight. The best I can find is a 2 second par time from the "press-six" drill on pistol-training.com on the third string of fire...
http://pistol-training.com/drills/press-six

Im just looking for a simple draw and fire one shot on target baseline.

*note: not certain what target matters?

Competition, 1.5 seconds and less. Conceal carry should be the same. The average person can cover the distance of 21 feet(7 yards) in 1.5 seconds.

I consider myself beginner - intermediate and my fastest time has been 0.65 seconds. I can do with regular consistency 0.75. The fastest I have seen in person was 0.45. These mind you are all at competitive events, knowing the drill.
Being surprised on the street would be double or triple that, would be my guess. Situational awareness would be the limiting factor and decision that #1 threat, #2 lethal threat, #3 need to draw and shoot would take longer for this old guy to process than the actual draw and fire
Just my opinion

more interesting is your Bill Drill time. draw and fire 6 on target as fast as you can. target is 8" circle. have to get all 6 in the circle. you can read your first shot time off the timer as well as your total time and all splits.

my first shot is around 1.4

target at 7 yards.

At Gunsite par for two rounds center of mass (essentially in the "A" zone) from the holster at seven yards is 1.5 seconds. That's in the basic class. In the intermediate class it's also 1.5 seconds but with the addition of a side step.

Define 'concealed carry'.

See if it's in the appendix position, concealed, and you fire below eye level you can draw and fire very quickly. I've done it in less than one second, including reaction time, using a IPSC target. From behind the hip, again concealed, it's a bit slower.

But people who shoot maybe a box of ammo every few months practice and almost never practice drawing it might take 2 to 3 seconds.

Deaf

Competition, 1.5 seconds and less. Conceal carry should be the same. The average person can cover the distance of 21 feet(7 yards) in 1.5 seconds.

Is that from a standing start? Take's me about 40 min to do 21"! :-) I've heard for years that while speed matter's, more so is getting out smoothly and on target. Obviously the quicker you can do it smoothly the better off you are. I think it would probably pay to be aware of what's going on around you. I suppose a guy wanting to steal you lunch money might be hard to ID at 21" but he'll probably also be eyeballing you before he starts the attack.

more interesting is your Bill Drill time. draw and fire 6 on target as fast as you can. target is 8" circle. have to get all 6 in the circle. you can read your first shot time off the timer as well as your total time and all splits.

my first shot is around 1.4

target at 7 yards.

That's interesting. If someone come's at you and can make it in 1.5 sec and your reaction time is 1.4 sec, you don't have to aim! I don't practice with speed. Buggered on it years ago when a couple guy's I knew shot themselves in the leg doing quick draw.

Six shots sort of makes me think the gun is a DA revolver, so don't get in the habit of emptying your gun at the first threat. Clicking the heck out of the second BG (or six misses) has no effect.

Jim

I have found that practice and training speed is one thing, pucker factor speed is another.

Well then one needs to 'train' with an electric dog collar I guess! Or someone behind them with an airsoft gun and zaps them now and then.

Deaf

One and a half seconds is pretty close to normal time to draw and fire when you are expecting it. When you are surprised then add on three quarters to one additional seconds.
I takes your eye 1/20 of a second to see the problem and about a half second to begin a reaction.

Draw and accurately fire 1 shot into no more than an 8" target at 5 yards...1 second is pretty good. Top guys can do it in the .5 to .6 range after some warm ups (mind you, not quick draw with hammer slapped SAs which is half that) but are typically in the 1 second range in competition. Beginners in the 3+ second range and intermediate in the 1.5 to 2.0 second range. My 15 year old is under 1 second consistently. He went from 2 seconds to 1 second in about 3 weeks with some dryfire practice.

But take those same folks to a FoF course and give them airsoft, draw and hit from surprise is in the 1.5-3 second range for the top guys. It is 5+ for inexperienced folks, with an associated significant decline in hit percentage. Skilled shooters rarely lose the hit percentage by anything significant.

I did a Tueller drill with a dummy mounted on wheels on a pulley system at a practical shoot. I was second in line so I only got to see one person run the drill before I went. I was openly carrying my Glock 43 in an IWB holster (meaning no cover to sweep away).

The guy who was pulling the dummy purposely tried to distract me by asking if I knew the drill. As soon as I turned my head towards him, he took off. Fortunately, I had a friend filming me running the drill so I could analyze my performance. It was the first time shooting the Glock 43 and I was pretty happy with it.

I reacted pretty quickly to him taking off. By the time he got 2 steps away, I had the gun clear of the holster. While the iPhone allows me to scroll through the video slowly, it only shows time in one second increments. I was able to draw and fire 2 shots within 1 second, then I side stepped and made a headshot in less than a second. The dummy had moved nearly half the distance by the time I got the first shot off.

Breaking it down into frames (iPhone records at 30 frames per second), my first shot occurred about half a second from the draw. I can count 7 distinct frames between my first and second shot, which works out to .23 seconds. The 3rd shot, which involved a sidestep took another .5 seconds. The dummy was about 6 feet from my position when I took the last shot.

My first 2 shots were a little high and left of center. There were 4 inches apart and hit the area between the right pectoral and right shoulder. The second shot was right above the ear.

While I'm sure I could have done better, I was pretty happy with my reaction to the guy taking off on me unexpectedly. It was also my first time running a drill like this. It was also the first time shooting that gun so point of aim may have been off slightly. Overall, not bad for a first attempt. By the way, this was somewhere between aimed fire and point shooting. I picked up the front sight and did a double tap, and then picked up the front sight for the head shot.

Last edited:
Hbhobby those are definetly not beginner to intermediate times. Those are M- GM times. congrats. MarkCo captured it well. Bill drills will not help you draw times much but will help your shot to shot times and help you understand the rhythm of you gun and get you into the zone. Dont focus on how fast you can move your arms, focus on how quickly you can pick up your front sight on the way to the target. It's important to come out of the holster with a good grip. Use your thumbs as an index for your front sight.

from 7 to 10 yds whats an appropriate par time for drawing and firing a hit on target*?

What's the target? What holster? Any concealment? Are you including reaction time or just actual time to draw and fire?

2 seconds is quite a long time, like react to the buzzer on a timer and draw then two to the body and one to the head of a humanoid target in less time at 7 yards, with normal gun game gear.

Then there is the very impressive almost unbelievable speed of the late Bob Munden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5WjkI5FuP0

Last edited:
I have yet to see anyone who has not practiced regularly, be able to produce a video, or on demand at the range, make a sub 1 second draw and accurate hit on pretty much anything other than contact distance.

It is kind of like the folks who say they shoot 1/4" groups all day long with their Rem 700, but it always seems to be too windy or their video recorder did not work.

In 1981, before the days of race guns and speed holsters, most of us in our IPSC club could respond to the buzzer, draw and fire from an open-carry holster in around one second. IPSC Major loads. 7 to 10 yards. All 1911s.

The best I could do on the Steel Challenge "Double Trouble" was 1.3 seconds. I've seen Chip McCormick and a few others do it in 1.03.

Perfect scores for "El Presidente" drills: I've seen numerous 5.0 runs with old-days 1911s and IPSC major ammo. I've done 8.0 with hardball GI loads; 1911 with a trigger job and MMC sights.

I was a Class B shooter. Middle of the road, I guess. :)

Back