Speaking of Straw Purchases...

I don't believe anyone who has posted in this thread said the "straw purchase" law was a good law

No, I meant the hoops the guy has t ogo thru to get a gun, those laws. Having to ask permission from the state (Now that sounds communist to me) to be able to own the thing. Those laws are what Iam speaking of, the straw purchase law is a good thing if it is indeed a straw buy. I can say one shop in Bellevue was shut down due to the owner selling to prohibitive people. I am all for keepiong guns out of the wrong hands, but these two guys were not prohibitive in that respect.

I would like to see the laws be level in all states not these individual laws for each state, makes it confusing.

Did I mention the director of IT here is also a student at chreighton for his law degree? :) Seems Iknow a lot of lawyers..... most are great folks.

I never asked permission from the state to buy a firearm. Made sure I had the money to buy it went down to the gunshop and pointed in the case and tell them I want that one. The nice person gives me a 4473 to fill out, I hand her my ID to verify it is me. Five minutes later after getting the ok from the background check she hands me back my ID and takes some cash from me completes the sale and I walk out the door with my new firearm. At no point during that period did I have to ask the U.S. Government or the State of Texas if I could buy the firearm.

To the best of my recollection did I not have to jump through any hoops....

However, your mileage may vary by state.....

Last edited:
Eghad said:
...To the best of my recollection did I not have to jump through any hoops....
We have a few hoops here in California. But they're pretty manageable, especially when compared with some other States. I can't say I like them, but they haven't kept me from acquiring plenty of guns. I can't think of anything I'd like to do with a gun that I don't have a gun I could do it with.

And even if the rules are a nuisance, they are what they are. One can understand them and accomplish his purposes in accordance with them. If he tries to do things in some other way, he risks adding complications to his life that he might not enjoy. I can't really see any good reason to risk getting tied up in the legal system, especially when there are fairly simple ways to avoid it.

In any case, our system gives us ways to try to change those rules if we don't like them. But in the meantime, one is well advised to understand and follow those rules.

Yup California law seems to be based on moving the goals every so often. I see you guys in California are getting organized and are starting to take on the anti gun forces. Keep up the good fight and one day you guys will have what you want.

Is there a spot where a guy could make a donation for the legal funds in California. I am not a rich man but I could kick in a few bucks to keep the fight going.

Eghad said:
...Is there a spot where a guy could make a donation for the legal funds in California. I am not a rich man but I could kick in a few bucks to keep the fight going....
That's very gracious of you. Any help would be appreciated. We have an uphill battle.

The California Rifle and Pistol Association and the Calguns Foundation are doing excellent work here. Either one merits, and would appreciate, any support you could give.

On behalf of the gun owners of California, thank you for thinking of us.

Well the way I look at it we are all in this old tub together. Might as well stomp out that nonsense in other places so it don't spread back.

Back