Speaking of idiot behavior at the range . . .

At a local range, some idiot shot at a rock or something cross target with a rifle. The round came back and hit someone seriously. He tried to flee but was stopped.

Just a couple months ago I was at the rifle range, only one other guy there out of 18 benches, I was on #16, he was on #7. He shooting a 308, me a 6.5. We had both purchased the same target from the range and placed them on the corresponding spots for our bench numbers. He was banging away with his 308 bolt gun with 16 power scope at 100 yards, his pattern looked like buck shot. I took my rifle of the case, built my rest, organized all my gear while he banged away. I sat down, shot one 5 shot group then got up to go B.S. with the range master while my rifle cooled. I then came back, loaded up another 5 rounds, got onto my rifle, looked through the scope and what do I see? Buck shot all over my target, clearly larger than my 6.5 holes. I stroll over to him, say "uh hey there Bud, just so ya know you shot my target" he promptly retorts "NO I DIDNT!!" I shake my head and walk back to my bench, fire a hand full of shots, then through my scope I watch a 308 sized hole appear in my target along with a shower of splinters from the backer board right as his rifle barks! I yell "DUDE!! YOU'RE SHOOTING MY TARGET!!" He sheepishly looks over his rifle that is CLEARLY pointed to my target that is 40 feet to the right if his target and says "oh....yeah"....Then proceeded to continue banging away at his patterning board. No apology, no offer of a new target, nothing more than a sense of entitlement.
He shortly after packed up his gear, tossed it in his entirely too expensive luxury sedan and took off. My range master chuckled and said, "he wont be allowed back"

All I hoped was that his rounds made it into the berm. What a moron.

Many years ago I belonged to a Northern Colorado club range.
The details in my memory are faded,but they had nice,covered benches and an old Chevy range truck to haul steel downrange,etc.

Some vandals with guns tried to shoot the 4x4 uprights of the covered firing points in half.The bullets were going across the range,rather than downrange.

They shot up that old 1970 Chevy pickup real bad.

I don't know if they ever caught them.

This range was on a ranch.Word gets to the landowner.He owns cattle.There are questions about the lease.

And,road signs would get shot up on the hiway.

Great PR to every passing motorist.

Oh, yeah. The road signs. Almost have to laugh/cry. Every deer crossing sign with bullet holes in it. Really? What are you doing, playing "I'm Elmer Fudd shooting my deer" just so you can hear it go "clang"?

Sometimes I agree with politicians who say that some people shouldn't own guns.

About 20 years ago I caught some drunken teenagers riding around shooting road signs with a birdshot from 12 Gauge. In one night they shot more than ten signs.

Punks.

My outdoor range is free and unmonitored. It has damage to all the covers, but after a while, that stopped. People seem to self regulate halfway decently out there, don't remember any reports of serious injury or fatality. I do like to go during the weekday, fewer people, and on the weekends the Tactical Tommy's like to strut. Camo and 5.11, chest rigs over bulging guts, and tacticool rifles of every stripe, usually on bipods with giant scopes, shooting steel at 50 yards prone. :) Some very nice equipment I can't afford.
But they self police pretty well.

Back