• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Something annoying about the search function

jimpeel,
Not sure how or why it worked for me. I found it pretty much by accident. I was typing the message and happened to click on the cursor and voila. It held the text.

yep -just tried it again

yped the message. clicked on the cursor - hit the back arrow, then hit the foreward arrow and the message held.

Hal (7000?)
9000. (if you mean the 2001 one)(anyhow, that's not my namesake.) ;)
Hal as in Hal Jordan - DC comics flying fool super good guy turned bad then turned good again. :)

Anyhow - strange cause I tried it on two different 'puters and logging in from two different locations and had the same result. Current 'puter shows the same version exploder as yours.

*sigh* microsoft - - what can I say. They sure do go out of their way to make life miserable for people at times. I stongly suspect you might have some other program installed that's "stepping on" the IE. I see a lot of that day in and day out. All 4 of my work 'puters run extremely "clean" - meaning I don't have anything installed except microsoft approved (look for the flying window symbol) software.

jimpeel - What is your stored page refresh setting?

You'll find it at:
Tools -> Internet options -> General -> Temporary internet files -> settings

Mine is set to 'automatic' and it seems to work as required. (Same IE version with XP.)

Hal

9000? :eek: Guess that shows how much attention I was paying. :)
Anyhow - strange cause I tried it on two different 'puters and logging in from two different locations and had the same result. Current 'puter shows the same version exploder as yours.
Which result? Mine or Mal H's?

It doesn't appear that IE's refresh setting has anything to do with it. I tried setting IE to "never" refresh pages, and it still hasn't saved the text from advanced search keywords when I hit "back" from the results page.

XPPro, IE6.
My settings are same as Mal H's.
Even so I can't go back and return. I just C&P from notepad/wordpad/word.[like I have to for school on-line discussions - except Moodle( tm)]
I piddled with mine...went back to automatic.

Dumb Question: I am using the free version of Zone Alarm - this have any effect?

FWIW I also have NAV 2003 Pro Anti-virus, the free AVG anti- virus and the free Ad-aware .

I'm still learning, I figured it had to do with proprietary Win/IE. Just learned to breath through clenched teeth and swear under breath.

The Linux stuff and all I've played with ...if I didn't have to have this set-up for school...
Still giving Firefox serious considerations...

Hal

Hmmmmm. I guess that leaves out version and sp#s.

Okay, here is what I have running while I am online:

Guidescope graphics suppression

NAV 2003

12Ghosts pop-up blocker

PestPatrol ad/spyware blocker

CookiePatrol cookie blocker

MS Messenger

Okayyyyyyy!

Curiouser and curioser, Alice.

I tried turning off all of the things that I listed above. Guidescope uses a proxy server so that was disabled.

I rebooted and tried a message. Hit "back", hit "forward". message gone.

Now here's the weird part.

I typed another message, hit "back", hit "forward". Message was still there.

Turned on all of the things listed above but did not turn on the Guidescope proxy server.

Tried a message. Hit "back", hit "forward" message gone.

Did it again, message was still there.

Re-enabled the proxy server.

Tried a massage. Hit "back", hit "forward" message gone.

Must be Guidescope and the proxy server.

Still doesn't explain why the message is gone the first time and there the next when the proxy server is turned off, though.

I think we've burned enough keystrokes on this one.

Thanks for the help, guys.

J

J,
hmm, guess it's an anomoly of IE for the message to disappear since that seems consistant.

The proxy's cache probably inerfere's with the browser's cache. I'm just guessing here since it's been years since I played with a proxy, and then only briefly. (IIRC it was Wingate or something)

Anyhow, looks like you found the culprit.

Back