something $500 and under?

Ok, i went to my local shop and they offered me a deal on two guns that are in the caliber that I have decided on, the 243 Winchester. They had a Ruger American Gen 2 for $580 out the door and I would use a small pistol to trade in to make up the price over the $500, or they have the CVA Scout stainless threaded for $380 out the door. Which would y'all get if these were your choices? The only Savage's they have are in 30.06 and they kick too hard plus it's over 500 with scope.

Well, it doesn't matter to us. It matters which one you want? Do you prefer hunting with a single shot, or a bolt action? Do you have a scope, or do you need some of the $500 for optics and mounts?

How much actual trade in are they giving you on the pistol?

I don’t know if it’s a gen 2’thing or not but my .35 whelen model is quite heavy, has a much heavier profile barrel. I was actually a little dissatisfied as cvs claims it still is a 6 lbs rifle. It’s definitely more like a 9 lbs rifle, it also came with a threaded muzzle. I still wouldn’t recommend it on the recoil front.

5.7FN

I gotta comment on that.

The 5.7FN is not a deer round and likely only a moderate varmint cartridge. Interesting, yes. New and different, yes. Is the Sub 2000, light, novel and portable yes. Tremendous, no.

Ammo suitable for hunting with a 40 grain bullet (the best is likely the Speer Gold Dot) is listed at 1800 fps, (pistol?) and I'd give it 2300 fps from the 16" Kel Tec folding carbine. Might do more, but it doesn't matter. That is not "tremendous speed" but more like .22 Hornet speed. The Hornet was introduced pre-WWII. It has been used to take the tiny deer of Europe and the little antelope in Africal, but comes up short as a deer round in the 'States. The super light 28-30 gr projectiles in the FN are faster, and gain perhaps another 200 fps from the carbine, again an estimate. It still does not matter, it does not turn the 5.7 into a deer cartridge, and makes the FN 5.7 a varmint cartridge at best. The fact that it was developed as a PDW in a funky sub gun matters little in consideration as a sporting round.

It'd be a hoot on running 'jacks, softer to shoot than a .223/5.56 (but way more expensive) and really different.

2wheelwanderer said:
The Winchester is the only one with bids. The rest end in 1-3 days with zero bids.

All I was stating was most of your picks pushed the OP over his spending limit. The OP stated they only had $500 to work with in their first post. To me the post meant $500 was the top limit, not I've got $500 plus taxes, shipping, and fees.

The Rem 788 is $449 minimum plus $40 shipping. What's the OPs tax rate? An additional $10 in tax puts him at $500. Then there is probably another $25 minimum for transfer fees.

Husqvarna ready to go in .308 Used field rifle but these were great rifles! $540 with shipping
Again over budget without taxes and transfer.

The M670 Winchester $495 start! Way over budget with taxes, transfer, and $55 shipping.

The XPR would put the OP at $430 if he won it for the next bid. Then $55 to ship, that's $15 for taxes and transfer to stay in budget.

I'm not saying you didn't pick rifles that wouldn't be nice to own. You just picked your choices and what you thought were close enough to the OPs budget, while most were trying to stay under. The OP now has stated to get a $580 rifle he needs to trade in a pistol to afford it.

What about a good used Savage 110 in .223 or .243?
These have a great reputation for accuracy and there are plenty of parts available for later upgrades (stock, trigger, etc.).

Ok, i went to my local shop and they offered me a deal on two guns that are in the caliber that I have decided on, the 243 Winchester. They had a Ruger American Gen 2 for $580 out the door and I would use a small pistol to trade in to make up the price over the $500, or they have the CVA Scout stainless threaded for $380 out the door. Which would y'all get if these were your choices? The only Savage's they have are in 30.06 and they kick too hard plus it's over 500 with scope.
Either is a good choice in my opinion. I don't have experience with the Ruger Gen II, but have seen reviews and it is solid and accurate. I do own the two Scouts I mentioned and they are shooters. With the threaded barrel, you can tame the recoil. What I love is they are short and handy, but you still get the benefit of a 20" barrel.

Well I went and looked over the guns real good. The shop came down to $330 for the CVA Scout but still $580 for the Ruger. I bought the CVA and gonna use the money left for ammo and a nice return gift for the wife.

Back