something $500 and under?

old fart

My Birthday is the 22nd and my wife saved and I want a deer and coyote rifle with the gift she gave me, it has to be $500 or less and no more if I am to get it by my birthday. If I don't as she says, the money goes back to her and she gets me something with it.:oops: So the only limits I have is low recoil as I have arthritis in my shoulder and sold my 308 last year because of recoil. Single shot or bolt action doesn't matter as long as the recoil is good, Thanks for any help.

Look at the Ruger American 300 Blackout rifles. You have incredible versatility especially if you're a hand loader. Even if you're not the available Factory SuperSonics are nipping on the heels of 30-30 and 762x39 and the subsonics improve upon the ballistics of a 45 ACP or 357 MAG. A used one in good condition should be about $450 roundabouts at you local gun store.

The Ruger American is my top choice, but the Gen II rifles are a bit over $500. If you can find an original they are closer to $400.

The Savage Axis is another choice.

The Weatherby Vanguard can be found for $500-$520. Maybe you can chip in the extra $20.

I'd get the 6.5CM. Recoil is between 308 and 243, but closer to 243. It'll kill anything you can kill with 308. Ammo is reasonably priced and easily available.

A firm $500 budget is a tough spot. Most everything less than $500 is junk. But there are a LOT of good choices for $550. Tell your wife I said so.

I'll second the Savage Axis. You should be able to find a combo kit with a low end (but serviceable) scope for under $500. If you want a better scope, just get the bare rifle and save up for a better scope. I've always been pleasantly surprised by how well the Axis shoots for being a budget rifle. But unfortunately, it is not as great a deal as it once was. But then again, nothing seems to be a great deal anymore.

As for caliber, I would say .243 Winchester is a great round if you are hunting deer and/or coyotes. The recoil is generally pretty mild but the 243 will kill deer quite dead.

Gunbroker! Lighter recoil I thought maybe a .243?

Savage axis $249, no cc fee. That leaves room for a Vortex scope and rings.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1063485180

I thought maybe a used rifle may save a few $$ but....
Remington 788 with rings under $500 if you send a money order. These are great rifles and I would prefer this over a new Axis or American
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1064627323

Husqvarna ready to go in .308 Used field rifle but these were great rifles! $540 with shipping.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1063927853

Beautifully scoped Winchester 670
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1064441834

Winchester XPR w/Nikon in .243
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1063735501

This is a tough one, if it were me in your position I'd probably lean towards a 7mm-08 rifle which I could subsequently put a brake and pad on to reduce felt recoil. You'll probably have more hunting versatility with it than a creedmoor. Alternatively--heavier rifles always help to reduce felt recoil. You could get your foot in the door with a savage axis 2 and upgrade the barrel later fairly easily if necessary (DO NOT buy an XP package with the throw-away grade bushnell scope). The accutrigger is perfect for hunting and will suffice even for bench rest short of having a real competition-grade trigger.

Your price range limits you to the bottom quality and entry level quality firearms.
Myself, if my budget was $500 for a new rifle, I’d be looking to buy a slightly better quality used rifle.

Look at Bud's Gunshop online. Good selection of Mossberg Patriot rifles in 243 - and I certainly recommend that round - under $500. And Bud's ships free. An oddball offering: Bud's has a sale item for $410.49, a Remington 783 in 243. Folks will choke on that rifle; it's kinda heavy and the mag well is "one size fits all". But heavy is not bad if you have a sore shoulder. I have one in 223 (wanted the cheapest bolt I could find when I got tired of chasing brass). It shoots sub-MOA groups with my handloads.

hmm...i like the 6.5 CM, and the 243 picks....or maybe consider a 6.5 grendel...recoil is even less and deer and yots out to 300 would be a no brainer...for any of the picks there

the grendel would be much more easy on a sore wing..you can get it in a bolt....or for 500 or less you could buy an AR upper and get a lower later

gona need glass for any of them....so unless you get a combo gun or a used one already set up... that has everything it might be hard to get it done for the 500 limit....but PSA and Bear Creek run sales all the time on AR uppers.. i have seen Grendel uppers on sale for $250-300...if thats the way you want to go

right now Arken has a 1-6 LPVO iirc for $199....and hooteehoo (spelling) has a deal.. coupon code for 25% off...so that gets you in there for around 150

i myself have been trying to convince me that i need a 300 ham'r.....but i dont know where the recoil is....im sure it is a bit more than a 6.5 Grendel but i wouldnt think by much...but that might be something to consider also

i like the 7mm-08 too ...but it may have more recoil than you can use...yep you can cut the recoil impulse with weight and good pad....but then you have a heavy gun to carry around for hunting...unless you go to a blind and sit down with it...i always liked a heavy gun when i was younger..and i still do...but the older i get the heavier they seem to be

lots of sales now and for hunting season coming up...and you have a few days to think on it and find a deal....watch Buds you might find something there for sure...they have used too

thats my .02...........Happy Birthday......choose wisely grass hopper...lol

p.s. and a edit

i just saw on PSA web sight .....you can get a 18" complete upper in 6.5 Grendel for $419......and they have a complete lower on sale for Labor Day for $99.........so for $520 you could have a complete rifle ...less glass....that would get the job done with ease and be very easy on the shoulder....but you might have to chip in a few bucks....but a really nice deer gun and a superb yote killer

P.S.S

lol...yeah i hate email sometimes....just looked at a Bear Creek add for Labor Day sale.....they have a 20" complete upper in 6.5 Grendel for $234 and change .....so with that and the PSA $99 lower you got the whole rifle for around $350....so that leaves you $150 for glass...lol

ok so these guys arent top shelf $1500-2000 guns but the do have pretty good reviews and the do shoot pretty well for the money

lol...OK...Ok im out....good luck....Happy Birthday

Last edited:
Maybe 6.5 CM considering it is designed as the more accurate round with good barrel life. I bought a used 243 Ruger 77 Mark II and it's been a dog in the accuracy department. It may be burnt out from the previous owner because the caliber has a reputation of burning barrels out in under 2000 rounds and the previous owner tried to free float the barrel. One day I'll probably have the 77 rechambered to another caliber like 257 Roberts or 6.5 CM. My Ruger 77s in 308 and 5.56 shoot fine but they have skyrocketed in price on the used Market. If money is always tight, hard to beat the 7.62x39 Ruger American for a general purpose short range hunting rifle in 30 caliber that you can afford to take to the range once in awhile. If you just want a light kicking centerfire, hard to beat a 223/5.56 with 1:9, 1:8 or 1:7 Twist. 22 FMJ bullets are still relatively cheap to buy for reloading. My 1:9 77 Hawkeye shoots Sierra 65 BTSP exceptionally well but doesn't impress with 68 and 75 Hornady BTHP bullets. If you can find a lightly used Hawkeye in your area pawn shops, they are good hunting rifles and might be found around $500.

2wheelwanderer said:
Gunbroker!

Every rifle but the Axis puts the OP over his budget. Even if he got the rifles for the opening bid, he'll blow his budget with shipping, taxes, and transfer fees. I won't hardly buy anything off of gunbroker.com anymore, as the prices for shipping firearms if you're an individual have gone crazy.

That'll put you in a used Axis for $330-340, and stores like Scheels will have them new for around $370 + tax. Bass Pro/Cabela's usually have deals on Savage rifles exclusive to their stores as well. That's why I didn't link any Axis rifle as you can often find better deals in the big box stores than online. The local Walmart has a closeout Savage Axis in stainless steel for $250 but it is in .30-06.

223/5.56 if you are careful with your shot, will kill deer and coydogs. they don't kick, can be light enough for an old man to carry. you can get them in at least two platforms for your price; the ar design from psa and the savage bolt design.

if you want more punch, that has been covered pretty well already ^ up there. i'll just say this, as a hunting rifle cartridge i do like the 243 it is accurate and powerful enough for anything up to elk size, and even that if you are careful where you put the slug. the creedmore in 6.5 cal is also a fine choice but it does recoil just a little more, now in the 6mm cal it's a winner too. but you may have trouble finding that one around.

if you hand load most anything can be made to work. "reduced recoil" "better accuracy" ect...

anyway there are some thoughts on the matter. hppy b day

recoil

The only 6.5CM I've shot much is bamaboy's Ruger Predator, which is tricked with a Magpul stock and big scope. That dang thing will reach way out there! It's a Gen 1 and bottom of the price range or not, it will shoot with the best of them. Factory ammo to boot. My impression is that recoil is a bit more than .243, less than a 7mm-08. We've only shot steel with the rifle, but I have no doubt it would be grim death on deer, hogs or 'yotes at any reasonable range. If you look around, the Gen 1 Predators or the standard American models are still out there.

I have now watched and shot the .243 on deer enough to form a solid positive opinion of it as a whitetail rifle, despite criticism from many old timers when I was a kid. After watching my dad in his later years and bamaboy as a youth take whitetails cleanly, I started hunting one myself. Recoil is very soft, especially with the mid-range bullets in the 85 grain range. My 20" barreled carbine gets 85 gr Partitions when I can find them, but if your deer are not to big and you can pick your shots, the Sierra 85 gr BTHP might serve as a good dual purpose slug for deer and 'yotes. In my
Dad's 24" barreled sporter, I shoot 100 gr Partitions. Again, I'd lean towards a Gen 1 Predator, as I've got some experience with the rifles in other calibers and they all shoot well.

Bamaboy took his first two whitetails with a .223 and bonded bullets, and a pal started his grandson with a Mini-14 and I think 60 gr Partitions. It can be done, but I think there are better choices. I've got no experience with the 6.5 Grendel, but I like the numbers. I'm not sure if you can find a rifle so chambered in your price range. The .300 Black is not flat enough to suit me as a varmint-'yote cartridge, but I have a bolt rifle in 7.62x39mm that likely performs similarly and is a dandy woods rifle on deer. Again, whether or not you could find an affordable rifle in said chambering is another matter. The budget bolt rifles mentioned are available and offer more than the Grendel, the 'Black or the 7.62 Soviet can offer anyhow.

@taylorforce1

The Winchester is the only one with bids. The rest end in 1-3 days with zero bids.

I always look at shipping costs and credit card fees before bidding. Some sellers really use those shipping fees to pad their profit, but the cost of shipping has also gone up just like everything else. :)

My Son just bought a Keltec Sub 2000 in 5.7. It would work great for Coyote but Im not so sure about deer. 5.7 is that recent FN caliber that is light weight with tremendous speed. Recoil is very light and the gun folds so you could carry it in a day pack and not even notice it. I enjoyed shooting it and cost is around $400 which leaves a little room for a red dot.

By the way, Happy Birthday!:D

I got my son a CVA scout in .243 last year for $329. It has a 20”’ barrel and weights 5.8 lbs minus scope and bipod. It’s super accurate and I liked it so much I bought a 25” .35 Whelen mode for $409 before coupons at sportsman’s warehouse. I really like these guns.

I got my son a CVA scout in .243 last year for $329. It has a 20”’ barrel and weights 5.8 lbs minus scope and bipod. It’s super accurate and I liked it so much I bought a 25” .35 Whelen mode for $409 before coupons at sportsman’s warehouse. I really like these guns.
I have a couple of CVA Scout rifles. They are awesome, especially the trigger. Only thing is they are super light and even in the smaller calibers, they have quite a bit if recoil. They are not threaded, either. I did send both of my barrels to Silencer Central for threading, as I shoot with a suppressor.

Back