Someone tell me why NOT to buy a Canik

Thanks for the replies! I would not want to get screwed with bad warranties.

Yes, the $100 rebate on Walther products right now does bring them down considerably. I can get the 5" PPQ M2 for just over $600 that way, and it's the same as the Q5 minus a few "pieces of flair" (anyone remember Office Space?:p) and the ability to mount a red dot.

I also have an XD Mod.2 3" and have thought about getting the 5" tactical model. It's quite a bit heavier than either the Walther or Canik--not specifically a competition gun, but I already have magazines and accessories for that gun, as well as night sights I could take off the existing gun. So the Mod.2 Tactical represents my lowest-risk, lowest-cost option overall. For $150 I can get a competition trigger kit installed. I've tried someone else's gun with that mod, and it does put the trigger feel into Walther territory.

Someone said 'for competition, heavier is better.' That makes sense for recoil purposes...

But then, why do all the competition-oriented striker guns come with a bunch of cuts in the slides and other features specifically to reduce weight? Glock, Walther, S&W, etc. all cut down on weight for their "competition ready" pistols.
Where weight is located is as important as the absolute weight. In a competition firearm lots of attention is given to where the weight is located to reduce recoil effects and to steady aim.

That 20 round magazine was doing a number on my thumb...

The magazine springs on some guns can be very stiff, especially when new. This can be brutal on a thumb joint with repeated loading. Luckily, there is an inexpensive solution. Try a loading tool. I've had very good experiences with the Uplula.

http://www.maglula.com/product/uplula-9mm-to-45acp
A sore thumb? The sfx, as well as most other Canik models comes with a loader as standard stuff. I use a Uplula myself but the included Glock type loader works fine too.

A sore thumb? The sfx, as well as most other Canik models comes with a loader as standard stuff. I use a Uplula myself but the included Glock type loader works fine too.
I've never liked using those plastic loader things.

My TP9v2 has been a really decent gun, it's not a gun I love, as I don't really care all that much for striker guns, and it will soon be sold off. I would have no problem owning one of the Canik made CZ clones at all. I've shot a couple of them and with your eyes closed, it's hard to tell the difference between the "clone" and the real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I've never liked using those plastic loader things.

So you'd rather put each of twenty cartridges in one at a time; often recharging the magazine several times a day? If you actually do this more than a few times, you might start falling in love with one of those "plastic reloader things".

I have three of those “plastic reloader things” ....:D. Everyone I know that has tried the Uplula’s immediately picked one up for themselves.
As for the Canik’s, my experience is minimal. I rented a Shark a couple years ago and was impressed by it.

I've never claimed to be the smartest, but I sure can load a mag fast, and without looking. Stubborn I guess.

Back