Someone help me, here!

I do not have the case but the Supremes ruled not long ago that the term "The People" in the 2nd Amendment meant the same as it did in all the other Amendments where it was used.

Spectre, I feel the same way as you do. I am a retired LEO and have relatives that are LEOs, I sure would not want to have to take them out but if they come for my firearms. So Be It.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited May 25, 1999).]

Ladies and gentlemen, none of you know ME at all, other than by recent posts perhaps. I have to ask those with a certain bent, why in the world would you (presumably) feel free to whack ME if I came for your firearms and not stand just as ready to whack your sainted mother for the same offense? If the situation is intense and urgent enough to fire on anyone at all, then it is urgent enough to fire on ANYONE AT ALL.

Witness the Civil War; father killed son and was killed in turn by his brother. If not, we could all own slaves. If we decide to reject Spectre's attitude, we can all BE slaves.

Having said that, perhaps Spectre could have been less extreme and not as deliberately offensive to his brother by phrasing his feelings more along the line of "ANYBODY who comes for my guns is gonna eat a bullet, I don't even care who it is.", and left it at that.

For both the combatants here, 32 years with the bride has taught me that communication is the key to relationships, and likewise the saving grace after a monumental pissing contest. Hopefully the clarifications in this thread have got everybody thinking along the same lines insofar as the clear meaning of the 2nd Amendment, but beyond that ya'll might want to agree to disagree and not nuke your family. Personally, I see no threat made so long as Spectre's family did not have the intention of coming to disarm him.

And, last, somebody breaks down my door I ain't even gonna look to see uniforms, friends' faces, mothers, brothers, badges or anything else. Somebody shouts "POLICE" and I'm gonna reply "Yeah, right!" punctuated by explosions. I know police, they ain't gonna be the ones breaking down my door. Knocking has always worked fine.

Larry P.

Larry,

You make a terrific point. I have been known to lack a certain...subtlety! You'd never know I take escalated customer care calls for my day job! ;)

The whole point that I was making originally was that anyone, anyone at all that posed a certain type of threat to my freedom would be subject to punitive measures...I believe in equality under the law, and that principle applies to anyone who breaks my door down, no matter what their last name, or who their daddy is.

DC: Is it possible for you to put the Brocki post as a separate, locked thread? I would like to download and print this, without fighting the entire thread. It is the best sort of thing I've run across in a number of years.

Regards, Art

Art...

OK, gimme a few and it will be up soon

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Back