Some questions about my new Mauser

read through my Linseed oil thread for some suggestions from the guys here. I think I remember Tung oil as one of suggestions. when I first got mine, it smelled like Neatsfoot oil; that oil I used to put on my baseball mitt as a kid when it was new and I wnated to break it in.

FWIW, I would not use a product like Old English. ;)

I got boiled linseed oil and an accomnanying solvent (think as paint is to paint thinner), at my local Mom & Pop hardware store. neatsfoot oil, AFAIK, is to treat leather not wood. I was just using that as an example of what my rifle smelled like.

I am sure there must be something for wood treatment that smells like neatsfoot oil, what it is, I don't know. :)

What about tung oil?

And I just bought a new Mosin Nagant for 100 bucks at the range. Century arms refurb. Its got cosmoline all over it. Should I just use plain old gun solvent?

Just looking at pictures of other people's guns with cosmoline and it doesn't even look like my gun has any. The only thing that seems greasy about it is the wood (flakes of something keeps coming off). Here are some pictures.

This thing (what is it?) seems covered in cosmoline.
n9200898_37251712_8063.jpg

Here's the magazine. Looks pretty clean to me.
n9200898_37251713_8371.jpg

And the bolt (not dissasembled), also looks pretty clean to me.
n9200898_37251714_8684.jpg

So, is it actually cosmoline free?

To clean old cosmoline off your pistol try a big spray can of WD-40 (with the plastic tube nozzle) and an M-16 cleaning brush. Works great... :)

Milspec

Its not a pistol and I don't even know if it has cosmoline on it. Again, its from Century arms and they may have taken the cosmoline off.

Edit:
I took the bolt and magazine apart last night and there isn't any cosmoline to be seen. I also cleaned out the barrel and there wasn't any in it (although it was still plenty dirty).

Anyone know what's on the wood that's coming off onto my hands?

Last edited:
Its probably cosmoline (smells petroleum like), but its only on the wood. Can I steam the cosmoline out of the wood?

grease

yours looks clean cosmoline is a very heavy grease.dark brown in color.
that bottle is an oil and cleaner.the 98 looks good. :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Then What is on the wood and what can I do to keep it from coming off on to my hands? I've wiped it down pretty well with a gun cloth, but it still isn't clean.

when I fire my Mauser at a high ROF at the range, it bleeds something, at wood on the top of the front of the barrell. I just try to rub it back in with my gloved fingers (Winter and all that :) ).

it smells like 60 years of history. I like it. :D

FWIW, your Mosin looks great. no worries there.

I am not convinced you have a Russian capture.
Is there a number stamped in the left side of the butt os the stock? can you post a picture?
Is there an "X" stamped on the receiver?
Are any metal parts electro penciled with new numbers?
Can you check the various numbers on the gun and do any of those numbers match other numbers?
Can you check the proof marks (Little eagle with a WaA and number) and let us know what some of them are?
Laminated stocks do not require oil. The only time I oil one is when I remove the Russian Shellac from and RC and whatever I use, Lacquer thinner, acetone etc dries the wood near the surface and so I put some BLSO on it. The laminated wood holds the resin which gives the stock its weather protection.

Wulfmann

Back