Some M1 Garand questions....

My 'guru' has the thick book where every Garand component's serial number can be traced and dated. It has quite a variety of lists with long numbers.

I don't know the title or when it was published, but he found that my SA action and barrel were from the last production run in '55.

Maybe a few of you guys have it, or the CMP stores have copies used by the staff?

Southron:
Based on your info, for my second Garand I'll try to acquire an H&R action, whether with an LMR barrel or not.
Hopefully you guys count your blessings, as many of you were 'into guns' for a long time, and have a son or daughter who enjoys them.

My grown, young son has had limited exposure (in college when the gun bug bit me...very hard). Taking the M-1 to the river today could help (real fun). He has only used it once, to make paper holes at the range.

Last edited:
I plan on visiting the North store in August. Any info on the day restocking takes place there.........also, since the NM's are ongoing, does that present any issues?

I looked at dozens of Garands over the past 5 or 6 years. Most originated from the CMP and many had parts swapped around to make them "correct" with a hefty price increase. All had one thing in common, they were half worn out. I wanted a good shooter so i kept looking. Last month I found my rifle, originally from CMP, it has rebuilt by the "grandguy". A new Kreiger barrel, assembled with all new or like new components, re-parked, new furniture, etc. While it did lose some of it's mil-surp flavor it's looks and shoots like a new rifle at slightly over CMP service grade price.

DSCN0869.jpg

DSCN0865.jpg

DSCN0888.jpg

My M1 is the CMP special grade. It basically has a new barrel and stocks. It is really nice quality. Also I have always heard that the springfields are the best. Not sure why though.

I have cut and pasted the descriptions and prices from the CMP sales page so you can see what I think would be your best option.

The HRA and Springfield, Service Grade Specials are $895. They are basically New Old Stock rifles tha have new stocks and stock metal added. These are as close to original issue rifles as you are going to find. Everything is new looking on these. BBLs show no wear at muzzle or throat. The two SA Service grade Specials I bought are very accurate and reliable.

If you want the new manufacture criterion bbl then go with the 3rd one listed.

Hope the information helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RM1HRASSP M1 Garand, Service Grade HRA (Harrington & Richardson) Special.
Allow 30-60 days for delivery.
HRA collector grade metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks and handguards and associated hardware are new manufacture. NOT original HRA manufacture.
$895
S&H $22.95 per rifle

RM1SASSP M1 Garand, Service Grade Springfield Special.
allow 30-60 days for delivery.
SA collector grade metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks and handguards and associated hardware are new manufacture. NOT original SA manufacture.
$895
S&H $22.95 per rifle
Special Grade M1 Garand

ITEM # DESCRIPTION PRICE
RM1SPECIAL M1 Garand, Springfield Special
Allow 30-60 days for delivery.
M1 Garand Springfield Armory receiver. New production stock and handguard set with CMP cartouche, a new production barrel and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. See photos below for more detail. $995
S&H $22.95 per rifle

Back