Some bad news

Gunslinger

Early this morning my wolf, as discussed in "what kind of dog do you have?", got out and was killed. She was hit by a car after making it out to the highway. I certainly can't blame the driver as it *is* a highway and drivers can not be expected to avoid every animal that wanders unto the road.

Ordinarily I'm not what one would call the emotional type, in fact there are those that would describe me as hard hearted. However I am soft hearted when it comes to my dogs (and the wolf).

This is not firearms related but I wanted to let ya'll know since you are my friends and I probably will not be posting for a few days. I'll be back to my usual sarastic self in a couple of days.

Moderators please feel free to close this thread.

Gunslinger

Hi Gunslinger,

I'm so very sorry to hear the news. My sincerest condolences to you and your family.

I'm often characterized as heartless by those who do not know me well, but I got very rattled when my Collie died of kidney failure several years ago.

There's just something about a dog dying or losing a woman you love. It softens even the toughest of us.

Take care.

- Anthony

My sincere condolences, Gunslinger. I am just finishing up reading Jack London's "White Fang" to my son. Our yellow lab, Pete, lays on the bed with us as I read. I think my son and Pete both understand the story. It's always very tough to lose an animal. Get another wolf puppy soon.

------------------
Safe shooting - PKAY

The loss of a close friend or family member is hard to overcome. I too consider the dogs a part of the family as well as close friends. Condolences on your loss.

------------------
(!)

Gunslinger,

Im very sorry to hear about your loss...it took me 9 years to be able to have another dog after I had to put mine to sleep.

Gunslinger;

My DEEPEST Sympathy!! Probably the most inteligent and best non-human friend I had was my wolf hybread. (70 wolf, 30 dog). She developed and extreamly bad case of hip displasia to the point where she could hardly walk. I had to put her down.

Some might find this barbaric but I'm not one to put my responsibility on others. She was so close to me that _I_ felt I had to be the one to put her down. I took her to a river where we would go and run. Let her fun and played with her for a couple hours.

At the end I walked her into the woods, called her to my side, petted her while mentaly saying goodbye and gave her back to nature. It was the hardest single shot I've every had to take. I sat with her for at least another hour, I don't remember exactly how long, until I was calmed emotionally enough to drive back home.

My thoughts are with you.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

I've been lucky enough in my life to have had three dogs I considered human. The loss is exactly like the loss of a family member. Wish you the best Gunslinger.

------------------
TJS

Gunslinger... I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I can think of nothing more wonderful than having a soft heart for family and friends (and lets face it, dogs and pets can be both). If our hearts weren't so soft, the ones we love wouldn't be able to mold them so easily, and fill them up. We look forward to seeing your sarcastic self when you are back on the boards.

Gunslinger my prayers are with you and your family. I have three dogs that are "my children" It's very hard when we lose such a loyal and faithful campanion.

------------------
Tiro per divertimento, tiro per la sopravvivenza

Gunslinger my condolences. I lost my dog two years ago and it still hurts when I think about it. Reading this thread brings back memories.

Just remember you gave her a loving home and a good life.

Back