Solved My 9mm Bullet Base Bulge...

@jetinteriorguy:

The Lyman Multi-expander dies I mentioned in the post before yours has the hollow tips with that same Lyman M profile that NOE and several others have adopted. But I don't know about the compatibility with the Lee die, specifically. The Multi-expander comes with its own die body. This eBay photo shows all the parts. The row on top shows the powder-through expanders. The lower row is a set of adapters for the different expander plug diameters.

I get there same thing when loading. Actually I get it loading most all my pistol rounds.

I like it as it prevents bullet set-back. I load a lot of .40S&W. Doesn't take much set-back to really spike pressure.

I think you’ve sent me down this path before and they aren’t compatible with using Either the Pro Disc or the Auto Drum from Lee. I’m not even so sure drilling out the NOE expander would work with a powder through die. I’m going to check with NOE and see what they say. Also their .41 plugs jump from .408 to .412 which I don’t think would work well with.41mag.

I'll have to look in the basement. I think the Auto Drum has the same threads as the Perfect. I have a Multi-expander die, but I think from memory that you are correct that they don't match.

I'll have to look in the basement. I think the Auto Drum has the same threads as the Perfect. I have a Multi-expander die, but I think from memory that you are correct that they don't match.
I’d appreciate that. I have a die body from my .357 die set so I could check it. But I’m just not sure that it would mechanically activate the measure. I’m really surprised given Lee’s propensity for innovation that they don’t just make the expanders this way, or at least offer them as an accessory.

I believe that Lyman uses the same die body for all of the expanders and based on this the Lee is a larger diameter and different threads so they won’t directly work in the Lyman body according to my .357 die. I suppose I could just quit being so lazy and set a die up in my single stage and expand as a whole extra step.

Back