So You Have a Flawless Running Semi-Auto? IISHOT1000 2009

I gladly share my prep and cleaning for the match.

First I field stripped my Glock and hosed it down with brake cleaner.

I then used a bore brush, a few patches, and some Hoppes#9 on the barrel. Scrubbed all the internals with an old tooth brush.

3rd, I sprayed everything down with light coat of RemOil, put one very, very small drop of CLP on the striker spring, then put a small dab of grease on the rails and the locking lugs.

I think the grease was Castrol.

Then I reassembled and packed her away.

Magazines used:

Ruger P95: Factory 15 rounders
Browning HP: Factory & MecGar standard capacity mags & MecGar 20 round mags.
Kimber TLE/RL: Wilson 47d mags
Springfield .45: Chip McCormick 10 round mags. The mag that repeatedly failed was a Wilson Combat 10 round mag.
Glock 17: Factory non-drop free standard capacity
Beretta 92FS: Factory standard capacity
Beretta PX4: Factory standard capacity

Not to complain but considering my background in statistics, it is not a reliable test because each gun did not use the exact same ammo type. Having different brand ammo in different guns has an effect on the outcome.

But I did like seeing the results anyhow, it's kind of what I expected it to be in that order! :)

Given that not all guns will run equally well on the same ammo, demanding the same ammo be used for all guns would invalidate the testing as well unless you have already shown it to work in every gun first, in the test, the previous test, and any guns to be used in subsequent tests.

So you have a problem there with demanding only one be used. Similarly, it would all need to be from the same lot, which isn't going to happen either. Then what do you do if the chosen ammo brand and model aren't made in all the calibers being tested?

Yeah I realize that, and I also now understand that everyone supplied their own ammo and guns for a combination they thought would be most reliable. What I had in my mind was not what actually happened. :o

Someone asked a question on another forum and I put this together to answer it. Basically this combines the results of both matches in one place.

The entrants split into 2 neat groups. Guns with 5 or fewer malfunctions and guns with readily identifiable issues that had lots of malfunctions.

Here's a brief rundown of the guns with 5 or fewer malfunctions from the last 2 matches.

• Four guns experienced 0 malfunctions. 2 Glocks, 1 SIG, 1 Colt NRM. 2 using Blazer aluminum, one using Blazer brass, one using Winchester ammo.
  • Five guns experienced 2 malfunctions each. 2 1911s, 1 Glock, 1 Ruger P95, 1 Springfield EMP. 2 using WWB, one using UMC, one using S&B, one using Blazer Aluminum.
  • Two guns experienced 3 malfunctions each. 1 Glock 20, 1 Kimber TLE/RL. One using Blazer aluminum, one using a mix of ammo--mostly Blazer aluminum, a little PMC and some UMC.
  • One gun experienced 5 malfunctions. A Beretta PX4C using WWB. All failures were failures to feed with a single magazine.
In the above guns, the first malfunction was encountered, on average, at round 373.

Here's a rundown of the guns with more than 5 malfunctions from the last two matches. You can see why we stopped allowing reloads after the first year.

In the guns below, the the first malfunction was encountered, on average, at round 20.

• 10 malfunctions (29 projected--entrant left match after 7th of 20 stages)--Springfield .45--Blazer Brass. 1 bad magazine caused consistent failures to feed.
  • 18 malfunctions--Beretta 92FS INOX--Unknown ammo, probably reloads. 2 Safety accidentally engaged racking slide. 2 Failures to feed. 14 Failures to lock open on empty.
  • 21 malfunctions--Glock 21--Wolf ammo. 15 Fail to feed, 4 fail to fire, 2 fail to lock back
  • 22 malfunctions--Browning HP--Blazer Aluminum. 18 Failures to feed, 1 failure to feed last round in magazine, 2 failures to feed first round in magazine. 1 trigger reset failure. All failures to feed experienced with MecGar extended magazines.
  • 25 malfunctions--10-8 1911--Reloads. 24 Fail to feed (most on the first round of the magazine), 1 "Other" (obstruction from target splatter that caused a stoppage), entrant shot match one-handed due to pre-existing injury
  • 34 malfunctions (85 malfunctions projected--entrant left after stage 8 of 20)--Colt Combat Elite--Reloads. 33 Fail to fire, 1 fail to feed.
  • 49 malfunctions--Beretta PX4G--800 reloads, 200 factory. 26 Fail to feed, 11 fail to lock back, 10 stovepipes, 1 Double Feed, 1 "Other" not described. Owner wants it noted that it ran clean on factory ammo.
  • 50 malfunctions (59 malfunctions projected--Disqualified on stage 17 of 20 due to reaching the match malfunction limit of 50 malfunctions.) --Glock 22--Blazer Brass. 45 Fail to Extract, 3 fail to fire, 1 Stove pipe. Gun was heavily oiled.
  • 50 malfunctions (67 malfunctions projected--Disqualified on stage 15 of 20 due to reaching the match malfunction limit of 50 malfunctions.) --Wilson Combat CQB--Reloads. 24 Fail to fire, 24 fail to lock back, 2 fail to eject.

magazine issues.

The magazine that caused me so much grief was a wilson combat 10 round. the others were Chip McCormick which were 10 rounders also.

I have since run 125 rounds through the wilson magazine and had no issues on the fourth or first round? Go figure

Jmac

Back