So you are retired?

I started toting back in the 1960s, although not all the time. Shot IPSC for a few years, back in the early 1980s. Got a CHL when Texas first began the system.

Now I'm 82, come July. The only change is in what I carry. I've gone from a Lightweight Commander to a 642CT, with a NAA .22 Mag as a backup.

I'm mostly a stay-at-home. This area is very low crime, from my standpoint. Mostly in the part of town where I've never had incentive to go at night. My social hangout is at a gunsmith's, and he's young and healthy. Wears my LW Commander. :D

So now you are the guard dog of your dwelling for the daylight hours. ALWAYS CARRY when you are not bathing or sleeping! Make sure you take care of your "Honey Do's" to please the lady if she is still working. But in your retirement, you are also doing some driving around town, shopping, buying cool things in your favorite Sports Store, and meeting your friends along the way.

I'm retired....and still tired. I'm now scheduling CCW classes with my NRA training. I'm remaining active in my social avenues, and using my time in a fun way. Find something useful to do in home and community, and stay concealed carry in the eyes of the law at all times. The criminals and mental cases around us are nervous!

Carrying concealed handguns, and being prepared to use them should trouble rear its ugly head is a full time job. You might be retired from other jobs but you never retire from that job as long as you carry. And indeed there are some people that take their job to the grave.

I once read that on your 60th birthday the probability of your being chosen to be the victim of a crime rises to the levels of probability for young females.

My 2 cents - 60+ changes can come quickly and require big changes in your thought process and life style. Requires serious thinking !
I occasionaly use a cane and researching that , for a number of reasons I now have a KABAR defensive cane . Somewhere apparently you can find instruction in serious use And you do have a better cane for normal use !
Pistols - I favour big stuff but a friend has a Ruger 380. I was pleased to see how well it is designed .Nothing sticking out like safeties ,mag release , etc.Edges chamfered or rounded .Extended mags available for those who have large hands .Nice to see such a well designed gun.

Someone "sort of" hit the relevant nail above.

Bad guys have a say in this matter too. They don't care whether you're retired or not, and they will choose the time, place, and circumstances of their attack.

If you carried and got training (or at least practice armed self-defense) before you formally retired, you should continue to train and carry in your retired life - at least when out-n-about in public venues.

True, retirement unquestionably changes the specifics of your daily routine and travels from what it was during the 40-hour+ ritual of your previous work life (unless you re-employ, as some do). But retirement itself merely begins another type of daily routine that quickly gets filled with a different set of "to-dos" .... and the bad guys are still out there.

Some real good advice in here! Where ever I can legally carry, I have my Glock 19 Gen 4 right here now. Sixteen rounds ready to go, a spare G17 magazine, and a Surefire flashlight.

I suppose for whatever the reason, some can not carry a hi-cap pistol, I feel it is required because SXXX happens is a fair way of starting your day.

For the last 10 years, I have fired a couple of 100 rounds a month, till my car wreck slowed me down, I am just about back to normal, and next match day I will shoot the qualifier.

I have two Glock 19s, set up exactly the same way, Truglow night sights, extended slide release (Glock factory model) Butt plug, 4lb trigger.

I can not feel it, holstered in a $15.00 Glock polymer belt holster. Tried the many more expensive ones, but this one weighs nothing.

Think of all those heroes who fought for America, and are no longer here, today, this Memorial day.

As a 9-year-old in my native England, they walked the streets and roads, and one day they went across the channel. And I am still speaking English, not German. God Bless the USA.

Depends on the local laws and whether you're permitted. Even then, training and how often do you practice?

I live in the woods and there are critters all over this place. I've seen bear, mountain lion (major concern), bobcat, eagles, hawks, raccoon, skunk, coyote, fox, rattlesnake (just had one with Mac 'n Cheese). Yesterday just as I was about to step outside, I noticed a snake at the threshhold. A scan of the tail told me it was a good snake (Bullsnake) and not a rattler (whew). Methinks it's same one I've seen over the years around the house (which explains why the ground squirrels disappeared). Thankfully most critters are instinctively afraid of man and besides rodents, the only thing I've killed is a rattler.

As usual, I am about to drift off a bit.

From 1960 till 1964 I worked part time as a Bouncer, at the Cavern Club (were the Beatles played, in Liverpool) 1965, just prior to immigrating to Australia, at a Night Club, the Blue Angel.

I was stabbed twice at the Cavern, and in lots, and lots of fist fights. In the old days, we started them, much better chance of winning the ones you start!

Much different now, here, and in England. Licensed, rules, training, the lot.

But one advantage it has given me, the instant start to fight, no hesitation whatsoever. It works exactly the same way, when the senses say, "Get gun" it is in my hand. This has happened quite a few times in the USA, since I obtained a CCW from Florida, when all you needed to apply was a Hunting License.

That was stopped after 911, but my Son was a Citizen then, my address of record was his house in Florida.
When it was due for renewal the last time, I was already a Citizen, so I was not stretching any points.

I will tell you, I drew, aimed, but did not fire, I had no need to do so.

The individuals stopped doing what I perceived as a threat in the first place.

I will retire in 3 years....I do NOT carry every day now....I WILL carry every
day when retired...this is only due to the fact that I can NOT carry at work
at my current employer.

Been retired 32 days...carry just like I did when working...all of the time. And, now, I almost always have my truck gun with me, also.

I'm 69 years old, mostly retired, live in a rural area with no next door neighbors and carry a 9mm Shield everywhere I go except when going to the hospital. I carry at home also, right up until bedtime. Other places that don't allow or restrict access to my sidearm, I avoid. I've never had to resort to showing my weapon but I am a good sized former Marine, still in good physical condition, and have an attitude that says I won't be trifled with. I am also careful about where I go and when as well as who I associate with.

Only you can answer whether or not you should carry. Are you willing to put in the time training to stay proficient in the use of your weapon of choice? Do you have the self-control to back away from an altercation if at all possible and only resort to using your weapon when you no longer have a choice? Are you willing to kill someone else to protect you and yours? All questions you have to ask.

What to carry? Pick the largest caliber you are comfortable with that comes in a handgun you are comfortable carrying and proficient shooting. Then at night while you are watching TV, practice taking it apart and reassembling it until you can do it without thinking. With it unloaded, practice drawing it from wherever you carry it from sitting position, standing, kneeling, down on the floor, whatever you can think of, until you know you will be able to get to it no matter what. Again, with it unloaded, practice sighting in on objects on the wall, on the tv, following your cat or dog as they move across the room, practice jumping your sights from one to the other. Work on your grip until it is automatic, you don't even have to think about it.

Now, you decide. Should you carry and what should you carry. Good luck!

There's another thread going on that is similar to this one so I guess I'll say here what I said there.

Since I can't predict when or where I'm better off just carrying every day. I will add that with the number of small, easily concealed handguns on the market there's really not a reason not to carry something.

I'm not retired, I carry a M&P40FS at work and an M&P9FS off the clock but since I spend the majority of my off the clock time at home I predominately carry an M&P9C because it's small enough to carry conveniently and I can just slip it in my hoodie pocket when I go out to walk the dog.

I'm 66 and 7 months retired. I carry either a Taurus Gen 2 IWB in 9mm or a S&W Bodyguard .380 in my front pocket, depending on what works best with the clothes I'm wearing that day.

I retired 6 years ago. I'm a few months short of 70. My S&W 629 8 3/8" is just too big so I now pocket carry my LCP. ;)

Last edited:
I am 70 this month retired at 57 with health problems. When Pants go on pistol goes in holster . I setting here with a old LTW Colt commander in 9mm on hip. I live in country . We have break ins out here and even a home invasion some times . meth ,heroin , getting bad Need money to get fix .
I will help their addiction with a 9 or 45 needle at my house.

Packed it in this past May 5.
I carry every day because it would be a shame to need a gun and not have it after all the time and money I've put in becoming proficient, learning the laws of self-defense, acquiring permits and good quality equipment

I concur, makes sense to me. I look almost my age and the years have taken their toll on the body and if I move any slower at times the undertaker will show up so:eek:, if its not on me in a holster its at hands reach when at home.
When ever possible I have been carrying since receiving my CCW in '93

Back