So where's the gun control debate?

because for every sentence of "gun control" (aka taking away your guns) there is a video of democrat funded roving gangs of criminals attacking innocent people, burning down buildings etcetera where the police are prevented from gaining control by the democrat leadership.

Even if Biden wins the only realistic gun control measure with any chance of going through in the foreseeable future is Universal Background Checks. Some in the Democratic party would like to see more, but it isn't going to happen.
you're in Georgia and look how close you were to getting a democrat governor due to that sort of apathy. Vote.

They have allowed it for so long because it is the law. The Supreme Court did look at the issue, and ruled. Since Miller, no case against the NFA has been brought, or made it to the high court.

In a nutshell, the Miller case was over an unregistered sawed off shotgun. From what I've read, Miller was a poor moonshiner, who got raided when he wasn't making moonshine, and all the Feds found to bust him on was the sawed off shotgun, which, under the then new NFA 34 was not legally registered. When it went to court, the defense claimed the NFA did not apply because the gun was a militia weapon. The court agreed and tossed the case.

The Fed govt appealed, and neither Miller or anyone representing Miller showed up. The Supreme Court ruled that "since they had been shown no evidence" that the gun was (or could have been) a militia weapon, they reversed the lower court ruling.

The effect of this was that ALL provisions of the NFA were considered to be valid and Constitutional, and that is still where we are today.

The point here is not whether or not a certain law SHOULD be in effect, only that ANY law can be in effect, if the Court does not rule it unconstitutional.

We have a LOT of "bad" laws that are valid and legal, only because they have never been ruled on, OR have been ruled on and found (somehow) to be Constitutional.
I know about Miller, it's a case that absolutely should be revisited or reviewed, but I don't know if it can be. How a tax on a right like owning a firearm based on specific features is constitutional makes no sense and, I'm throwing things at the wall here, but I'd have to think that tax alone would invalidate the entire NFA or at least parts of it.

With 5 (maybe 6) conservative justices on the bench now, hopefully something can be done by SCOTUS to do just that because relying on Congress to change the law is wishful thinking. Congress never alters previous laws regarding the 2nd Amendment, they only make new laws restricting it.

FOPA:
The Act also contained a provision that banned the sale of machine guns manufactured after the date of enactment to civilians, restricting sales of these weapons to the military and law enforcement. Thus, in the ensuing years, the limited supply of these arms available to civilians has caused an enormous increase in their price, with most costing in excess of $10,000.

We gave up new manufactured machine guns for Safe Passage, a Registry Prohibition & FFLs got some breathing room. In order to get back basic rights and appropriate restraint of federal agents/agencies, we gave up a class of firearms to a restricted, high priced, diminishing pool. Seems like a hollow victory there.

And several states don't obey the safe passage law and the solution that's been told to people has been don't drive to those states.

Such a great trade off.

Tis a sad fact of life that our system of government has a great number of flaws and often they don't work in our favor. Everyone is happy to ignore them when they do benefit us, and whine endlessly when the shoe is on the other foot, (or WE get the other end of the stick :rolleyes:)

The Hughes Amendment which closed the civilian machinegun registry was added with the intent of it being a poison pill. There was even some sources at the time who said it wasn't added in accordance with proper procedure, but the chairman declared it passed and part of the bill, anyway.

Moot point now, but I believe it.

Since our President lacks the power of line item veto (that many state governors have) signing a bill into law is an all or nothing matter. While you or I might not agree with the decision (particularly NOW with decades of experience with the results) Reagan choose what he felt was the greatest good for the greatest number and signed it into law.

Was it a good thing? Depends on your point of view. If you're someone who wants to own a legal machinegun and can't afford the cost, then you probably don't think so.

If you're someone who gets saved by the FOPA despite everything an anti gun state does trying to convict you, or a dealer who doesn't go to prison for simply making an error writing down a number, then you probably have a different opinion.

Always remember that those of us who want and are or would be full auto enthusiasts are a SMALL portion of the gun owners in this country and most of them have been "taught" that machineguns are bad, and dangerous long ago, and are being "taught" today that semi autos are just as bad...

And, sad but true, because we elect our government, we get what the majority chooses, for good, or ill. The alternatives are worse.

The Hearing Protection Act is somebody's hallucination that a suppressor is necessary for hunting.
"...nation could be under draconian rule..." You're already under that. Between The Donald's BS(the guy repeats his lies after being caught lying) and unelected civil servants being allowed to make law by regulation with no elected rep input, you're there now.
Like AMP says, any "debate" about firearms laws would be a "poison pill" for them.
"...and found (somehow) to be Constitutional..." Or found unconstitutional by the US SC like Illinois' firearms laws and promptly ignored by the Illinois politicians.

The Hearing Protection Act is somebody's hallucination that a suppressor is necessary for hunting.

No, that’s not it at all. The HPA is the reality that suppressors have been used in very few crimes, and reducing noise from firearms is the good neighborly thing to do. Lots of people in rural America have a safe place to shoot on their own property, but often choose not to so as to not be a nuisance to neighbors. Many European countries that allow private ownership of firearms more less unencumbered encourage or require the use of a suppressor instead of regulating it with unneeded paperwork and taxes. And it could actually prevent hearing damage, especially in indoor ranges where double ear pro (inserts and muffs) is really needed to protect hearing. Many indoor shooters do not bother with double ear pro. HPA would be good law, and keeping suppressors at their current status is silly.

Others have already pointed this out but I'm surprised suppressors aren't required so as to drive up the cost of the weapon, making it less available.

The old argument that poachers would not be caught and men could do murder without the sound of the shot giving them away was, and always has been pablum for the feeble minded.

Guns are not the only way, just the only way that makes significant noise. Remove that, and well, then criminals with guns become just as difficult to catch as criminals with knives, axes, and bows & arrows! Oh the horror!!
we shall all be helpless at the mercy of the soundless evil!! :rolleyes:

Along with the fact that some of us believe that the NFA 34 was just passed to make work for Treasury agents needing a job after the repeal of Prohibition, is the story about how the original drafts of the NFA included handguns along with machine guns and sawed off guns, and didn't include silencers.

Supposedly someone convinced those pushing the bill that if handguns were included it would just be too much and would never pass, so they removed the handgun provisions and replaced them with regulation of "silencers" instead.

No one living today knows with certainty the real truth and no documents tell us the back room deals and conversations that played politics back then, so who's to say what really happened.

No matter how it came about, the law is what we have to deal with today, no matter if it is not based on logic or valid assumptions.

Also remember that when the law was new, failure to register and pay the fee was a TAX matter, and not a criminal one. That came about decades later...

No one living today knows with certainty the real truth and no documents tell us the back room deals and conversations that played politics back then, so who's to say what really happened.

That's pretty much true today too. That's why I've advocated for body cams on our politicians as well as our police. :D

HPA is also important for home security. Why do most people own a gun? For home/self protection. If you ever need your gun, it's most likely going to be at home, and shooting indoors is going to be VERY loud. As many people that have CCW, that's just a small number compared to how many have a gun on their nightstand.

The HPA hunting angle seemed weak to me. There's fewer and fewer hunters each year. Besides, hunting deer, it seems that loud noise almost calls them in. Fire a bow and every deer within 30 miles runs the other direction. Shoot at 1 deer with a rifle and I swear, it seems a few minutes later, more deer show up to see what's going on.

Body cams on politicians?? what are you trying to do, shut down the govt??:rolleyes:

Even if somehow it became the rule, I think you'd find that vital footage would be "lost" misfiled, kept under review until no longer useful, or simply "too corrupted to obtain useful data".

There's a reason people don't want certain things of the record, and because of that, they will find ways to keep things off the record.

Apparently not too many here have attempted to obtain LEO body cam recordings. They sometimes act like you’re asking to pull their molars.

I once suggested to a SWAT that his sniper rifle be fitted with one of those scopes that records the shot. It runs continuously so you have some seconds of action leading up to the shot. Talk about pulling teeth.

One of the problems with bodycams, dash cams and gun camera footage is, even if the entire thing from start to finish and beyond, is on tape, you're only seeing ONE point of view (the camera's).

What the viewer sees isn't the whole picture, and that whole picture may be needed to fully understand what happened.

And, since that footage MIGHT be evidence, neither the prosecution nor the defense is going to just happily give that out to the general public.

And then there's the whole problem with what gets done with said footage BY the public (specifically the news media).

Anyone remember the Rodney King riots??

Anyone remember the press constantly showing "the brutal beating of an innocent" man via 15-20 selected seconds of a minute+ long video?

That did kind of skew the public perception of the actual events...:rolleyes:

So Supreme court nominee - Federal judge Amy Barrett - has been known in the past to support removing a federal law against possession and ownership of firearms for people convicted of a felony --- But only for felons convicted of a non violent felony --- Yet she still supports the law that restricts convicted felons from voting.

Now her support for the right to own and possess firearms for felons convicted of a non violent crime might look good on paper --- But does a federal judge have the right to make the determination that the convicted felon has committed a non violent offense?

Veering back on topic the debate topics for Thursday's (10/22/2020) Biden/Trump debate have been announced.

The commission announced last Friday that the last debate will have six topics: Fighting Covid-19, American families, race in America, climate change, national security and leadership.

So gun control isn't listed as a topic in this debate either, although as I've pointed out before Biden DOES have a rather lengthy list of gun control measures on his site. (And once again, if you're going there for the first time you'll get a page requesting a contribution to his campaign. Just click on "X continue to joebiden.com" and you'll get to his gun control page.

https://joebiden.com/gunsafety/

Huh. Typing up my last post (above) I just had a sudden urge to go out and buy (another) Ruger .22LR semi-auto...wonder why? ;)

Maybe, kind of like May the fourth is Star Wars Day, October 22 could be Ruger Day.

Back