So where's the Alliant 2400?

why you threw in 300-MP as one of the Alliant powders in your “cache”

Long time no talk Sevens.

Because I use 300-MP for my 44 Marlin. I use a .431" Everglades 240gn JSP. It's the only slug that rifle will shoot straight and seems to like 300-MP.
Although I don't shoot these in my 44 revolvers (I have - it's brutal on this old man's hands), it's still technically a handgun cartridge.

So yeah, if I went all Alliant (and I'm seriously considering it), I would reluctantly dump the W296 and pick up 300-MP for both rifles. I already did the 300-MP work up in the Henry - works great. But I've been using W296 in the Henry since I got it (2018, I think?) and I don't really see the need to change. Simply put: I just like the way it shoots; you know, "if it works . . ." Not only that, I have an emotional connection with W296 - been using it since 1985 - from the first time I tried it. It's a "one trick pony" but it sure does that one trick really well. And it also smells good at the range :).

. . . described 2400 as an "old man powder".

Yeah, I suppose it is. Ironically enough, it's not old to me. Despite being a handgun loader since 1984, I first tried 2400 in March 2016. Great stuff. Like just about every Alliant powder, it's energetic, ignites easy, and can be downloaded (within reason, of course) for a wide range of uses.

And as I get older and less tolerant to recoil, 2400 seems to be the right choice for my full-throttle (to me) 357 Magnum ammo (as described in post #14). 44 Magnum is already a lost cause however :p. I'm now loading 200gn (as opposed to 240) slugs with modest charges (nowhere near max) charges of AA#7 and BE-86 for the top end of my recoil tolerance. I do keep a few 240 grainers with 2400 (if I can find more) just for the novelty of it. But I won't shoot more than a cylinder's worth per range trip. When you hand starts to tingle, that's nature telling you to stop now or get nerve damage.

As for magnum primers: Back in 2017, I did some testing with 158gn/357/2400 using both mag and standard primers (CCI's 550 & 500). I got more velocity with less signs of pressure using standard primers. Standard primers seemed to be the best of both worlds. 2400 ignites easy. Just doesn't need a magnum primer. At least, as my experience tells me.

Yeah my 44mag is the only cartridge I need LP magnum primers for because of the H-110 . Id love to scrap the LPM primers all together.

Still looking

I guess I'm bringing a zombie thread to back to life; but it's only been three months, and it is my thread :p

Yeah, I'm still on the lookout for Alliant 2400.

Checking my local sources continues to be a bust. I've checked a few on-line sites to no avail. But I don't know every place to look.

If anybody has seen 2400 for sale on-line from a reputable distributor, feel free to let me know. If I'm going to pay hazmat, it might as well be a 4# container. 4# would be my preferred size anyway.

Brownells is out of 4# containers, but has 8# containers

Thanks Unclenick. I've considered getting an 8#, but that might be more than I need. Haven't ruled it out though.

I do have loaded ammo w/ 2400 for most of the warm season. Not too desperate just yet.

Yeah, it's a fair quantity if you aren't Elmer Keith. Over 3000 44 Mag full power loads. Probably the kind of thing you want to have someone to split it with, assuming you have an empty 4lb container handy.

It's not just 2400, but all of Alliant's powder seem to be in short supply and expensive when found. It's a particular problem for me as the majority of my preferred handgun loads as well as a couple rifle loads were all worked up with Alliant powders. Up until recently, I could load almost anything I have with 2400, Unique, Blue Dot, or Reloder 7 but I'm not willing to pay $50+ per pound to do it. I wonder if Alliant being a subsidiary of Vista Outdoors, which is currently going through a bit of drama in regards to being bought out, has anything to do with their limited availability and price.

. . . the majority of my preferred handgun loads . . . were all worked up with Alliant powders.

Me too, basically. I could craft all my handgun loads with Alliant propellants - Bullseye, BE-86, Power Pistol, 2400, and 300-MP. And in a pinch, I could dump BE-86 or Power Pistol; and 2400 or 300-MP - and have it down to just three propellants. I wouldn't do that though.

I currently don't use Bullseye because I have 8#'s of W231; but when the time comes to replenish my fast stuff, I could well get Bullseye instead.

I have N-310 and AA#7, but am phasing both out (may be a year or two to exhaust my supply).

I use W296 for my Henry 357, but could just as easily move those loads to 300-MP. Right now, I only use 300-MP for my Marlin 44 Mag lever action. Even though I only use W296 and 300-MP for lever rifles, I still consider them to be pistol powders.

Sorry, that was a brain drift. :p

Alliant Supply and new data are having issues

I like Alliant handgun powders, but have old supplies to last years.
When available now the prices :eek::p

Back