So what is the minimum caliber for deer in your state?

Co. requires a .24 caliber. And you cannot hunt varmints during a regular big game season with anything larger than a .22 center fire if you do not have a current unfilled tag for that big game season. Guess they figured out the party hunters. Once the regular big game season is over the larger calibers are legal for varmints & fur bearers.

Couple of guys I know got a nice fine for not using a smaller caliber to shoot prairie dogs during pronghorn season a few years back.

Not sure I understand the reasoning for that. Is it to prevent guys from claiming they are varmit hunting when they are in fact trying to illegally big game hunt.

Not sure I understand the reasoning for that. Is it to prevent guys from claiming they are varmit hunting when they are in fact trying to illegally big game hunt.

Yes. Similar law in NY. You may not use a center fire of any kind for hunting other animals during deer season unless you have a deer tag and the area you're in is legal for rifles, not even at night.

In Maine, a .22 magnum is the minimum allowed for deer. I didn't see any minimum for bear or other animals, but would hope hunters would use something with more energy for bear.

If I had my .22 magnum and saw a legal deer within 100 yards, I might shoot it, provided it presented a good angle to the vitals. However, I wouldn't deliberately go hunting for deer with .22 Magnum. A .243 Win is my minimum these days.

In Virginia it's .24 caliber, as I recall. I just know .223 is NOT legal. Doesn't hugely matter for me, as I have nothing in between .223 and 7.62x39. I would most likely use 8mm Mauser or 7.62x39 with PRVI Partizan soft points.

IL is shotgun slug only with 20 ga minimum.

Not totally complete. Shotgun 20 or 12 gauge slug, muzzle loader (45 Cal or larger) or handgun (357 Mag or larger mag caliber). No hollow points or full metal jackets.

Jim

No hollow points or full metal jackets.

IL DNR Hunting Info Sheet states:

"Non-expanding, military-style full metal jacket bullets cannot be used to harvest white-tailed deer; only soft point or expanding bullets (including copper/copper-alloy rounds designed for hunting) are legal ammunition"

"Expanding bullets" means hollow points. :)

In AL, its any centerfire rifle or handgun, some areas require a 4" or longer barrel on handguns, or muzzle loader .40 caliber or larger.

Back