So what is the minimum caliber for deer in your state?

globemaster3

One thing I've learned through being in the USAF and reading posts on this board is how different hunting can be in different states.

A recent post on another thread about someone legally taking deer with a .17 HMR peaked my interest.

So, what is the minimum caliber for whitetail in your state?

Legal firearms for hunting deer during the
buck season shall include:

a rifle using centerfire ammunition.

a rifle using .25 caliber or larger rimfire ammunition.

a muzzleloading rifle, with or without scope, and
muzzleloading pistol of .38 caliber or larger.

a handgun using a straight-walled case of .357 magnum
cartridge or larger or a bottle-necked case of .24 caliber or
larger (see page 5). A Class A-1 handgun stamp is required.

a shotgun loaded with solid ball ammunition.

In WV

Any centerfire rifle or handgun. Muzzle loaders must be 45 cal and 20 guage shotguns are legal. Archery must be 45 lbs.

Georgia

Ohio's minimums...

Shotgun season: .410 shotgun with slug or .357 revolver with 5" bbl.

Muzzleloader: Muzzleloading rifle only using one ball per bbl - .38 cal.

No rifle hunting allowed for deer.

Here in Indiana

Any gauge shotgun (slug or sabot only)
Cartridge rifles must fire a projectile of at least .357

There are very strict requirements for minimum and maximum cartridge case length.

Muzzle loading pistols have even more strict requirements.

Recent changes in MN rules. Now allow 223 and the 30 carbine as legal deer hunting cartridges. I'm not sure if the 22 Savage High/Power is now allowed or not? I personally think it should be allowed. But then. I don't make the rules.

No rifle hunting allowed for deer.
What would be the reasoning for this? Does anyone explain the legal reasoning behind why?

Cartridge rifles must fire a projectile of at least .357
So .38 special is legal but a .30-06 is illegal? Can anyone elaborate as to why?

Many heavily populated states, or areas within some states do not allow rifles because of the fear of stray bullets traveling great distances. They all approach things differently. Some areas close to Atlanta are archery only. In some states it is shotgun or muzzle loader. Some allow handguns, but not rifles. Others allow rifles, but only in handgun chamberings.

And the kind of discovery that JD had is why I wanted to start this thread.

IL is shotgun slug only with 20 ga minimum.

Great replies so far! Let's get all 50 states covered!

And the kind of discovery that JD had is why I wanted to start this thread.

And for education purpose's, this is a good thread indeed.

Different states have different hunting laws/regs. for different reasons such as the reason jmr40 posted.

Population, as well as a state that is mostly divided into smaller tracts of privately owned land (say 30-100 acres) and many of these tracts of land have at least one dwelling on them usually results in a high concentration of hunters in a small area compared to some of the 1000 acre spreads out West.

A bit off topic and do not want to get into a discussion and veer thread but worth mentioning...

...the very same reason there is sometimes very different styles of hunting done in different locales. Something some need to realize before they start mocking/ridiculing long range hunting, stand hunting versus stalking, hunting over food plots etc.

Sooo...thanks for the thread globemaster3. ;)

Interesting thread

It used to be .22 center fire or larger with expanding type bullet of 60 grns, Handgun that developed at least 350 foot pounds at 50 yards. or a shotgun 20 gauge or larger using a slug.

Back in the Clinton gun ban years they tried top make it where no .22 cal rifles were allowed. It was being used as a ploy to eliminate the .223 because it's a military load. Hunters raised hell with the Conservation Dept for trying to be Politically Correct and they rescinded the law before the season started and allowed ALL center fire rifles. All center fire handguns with the exception of 38s and 9mm. and shotgun slugs 410 and up.

Funny how laws WILL change if enough people complain.

in MO

Oh forgot, muzzle-loading season ,now called Alternative Method season. 45 cal or larger rifle, 44 cal Cap-n-ball pistol or Centerfire pistol, and a certains varieties of spears ,bows and large caliber Airguns.

Last edited:
Back