So, what is acceptable accuracy with a handgun?

So I guess my real question is this,,,
What benchmark of accuracy should be their goal?

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor course you need to get 16 of 20 rounds in a 6" group at 15 yards. Most important is the group. If they are creating a scatter gram its hard to help the shooter. With a group you can move that easily.

I have them start with a T/C on a bipod with a scope. Hitting the bulls-eye early is an advantage to the instructor and exciting to the new shooter. A few shots with that and I can correct the trigger pull then move on to all of the other mechanics.

I don't really care where on the target they hit after that, we just concentrate on the group concept. Keep the same point of aim don't try to move the bullet to the center of the target. Just keep drilling the group and they will improve quickly then adjust the sights according to the group created.

I also try to keep them on the long sight radius pistols so 4" is short. 5" or greater gives the new shooter a better chance. I have a few long barrel pistols. 8" 357 and 44 mag, 7" 22, 6" 1911 and the T/C is 14".

For combat accuracy it's a torso target at 5 yards. Again the group is the critical item.

rtpzwms
NRA Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun Instructor

Thanks for the comments gentlemen,,,

Yeah, self defense shooting is not the goal here,,,
The goal is simply to get them shooting,,,
And not to frustrate them into quitting.

Thanks for the 6" at 15 yards for NRA Basic Instructor,,,
I think that's what I will set-up from now on.

The handguns we use mostly are:
  • Ruger SR-22 in 3.5" barrel
  • Ruger 22/45 in 5.5" barrel
  • Beretta Neos in 6" barrel
  • S&W Models 18 and 63
I do agree that groups are more important than bullseye,,,
When I was an archery instructor I preached that.

Once a student started grouping their arrows,,,
It was simply a matter of adjusting their aim point.

So, 6" targets at 15 yards it is from now on,,,
I have some 6" spinners that I can use,,,
The "clang" should be good feedback.

Thanks my friends.

Aarond

Here's a neat trick for helping to develop their shooting skills, for archery and shootin' irons.
Begin with large balloons at a distance they can easily hit and burst them.
Then sneakily reduce the size of the balloons a little at a time until they start to have trouble.
That will determine their capabilities and provide good fun to boot.
Betcha' both you and they will be surprised with the results.

To hit what you need to hit with regularity at a pace consistent with that need. Self-defense means shorter ranges and quicker shots than hunting or bullseye shooting. Even can plinking usually requires more accuracy at longer ranges but at a slower pace

Back