So What did Santa bring you?

Santa brought me new tires on our main car - $800+.

However, the week before, one of his elves brought me a second HK P7 - this one with that plum colored slide and a 4 digit serial number

Referring to a Rem 66 from a p1 post:
I bought one in the late 70s and have only shot it 20-30 times.

My son took my Dads 'old 22' to the range when we had Boy Scouts here on an exchange, Welsh Scouts. Several of his buddies brought 10/22s and had trouble single loading. He enjoyed the 'old 22' and said it will "really shoot."

Our scouts supplied guns/ammo and the Welsh scouts shot as they wanted to. they dont get to do that at home.

Only gun my Dad ever owned, a Western Auto special, from the late 30s I guess.

As far as Santa, he didnt do me too bad. Only a few bills.

A chess set from Italy, wool socks, a "fishing" lamp, a C.S. Lewis Bible and um . . . oh yeah . . . a Beretta Pico.

Life is good.
Prof Young

A green plaid JC penny flannel shirt and a LL Bean Chamois Shirt.

Owned the same Bean shirt long ago and wore it out. i.e. One of the warmest long sleeved shirts made.

Why go into debt to give stuff that people have to pretend to like?
If they have to pretend to like it, you're giving the wrong stuff.
And, conversely:
If you have to pretend to like it, they're giving the wrong stuff.

I am notoriously difficult to buy gifts for, due to my very specific tastes/desires/wants. Yet, people find a way...

I got an RCBS Rock Chucker Kit. My middle son got a Red Ryder which he's slept with it since opening it...

Now if it were warmer than -11 with wind chill, he could get out and shoot it more.

And I just need to get some dies, tumbler, calibers, trimmer, powder, primers, bullets, time....

An Anvil... nothing gun related, I haven’t been doing much with the guns this year. Should’ve asked for gun stuff because anything is available now.

I got the best Christmas gift. Nothing.

Why go into debt to give stuff that people have to pretend to like?
It may sound sappy, but it's not the money. The best gift I ever got was a bath robe my wife made for me our second Christmas. We were both students and didn't have a lot of money. I know she put a lot of thought and effort into it (her sewing talent usually maxes out at hemming pants). I wore it until it literally fell apart.

Wife gave me money (per my request as I'm trying to get into leatherwork and need money for tools... but don't know how to tell her what tools I need). My Son gave me a BAD lever for an AR and Cabela's gift card. Oldest daughter gave me a Lens Pen (of which I really have a need for, twas a good gift).

On another note, oldest daughter (13) got her first "her" gun given to her. It was an AR15 build, and we just finished a range trip to test it out. She is one happy young lady.

I asked for and got a few new books for Xmas

The not so worth while, was the recommendation of Hatcher's Notebook...

Dry read..not my cup o tea....expensive

Re-gift option for sure cuz will never read it a second time

I appreciate who the author was and his grand pedigree... BUT I am a practical modern fire arm guy and a lot of the pre Viet nam war info was just stories to me

I did read it cover to cover... lots of good poop for guys with an interest in the development and history of all things firearm related

And I must admit...to be confident in what we READ Now ----MUST be tempered with the HISTORY...if for not other reason than to call BS to modern assertions that are NOT supported by Absolute fact

So my brief review is Hatcher's Notebook.....is a Must read... ONCE....for the real history......BUT will not stay in my personal library

Black CZ P10C, pistol brace for my HK SP5K, and about $150 in gift cards to my local gun club, a nice Suunto watch, and got my WWII French road map framed

Primers, projectiles, a rotary media-case separator, and flip up sights for my AR. Plus a few other needed but non-firearm related items.

My youngest just started working at Harbor Freight and gave me a spotting scope that he bought with his first paycheck. A HF spotting scope is nothing to fawn over, but his pride and excitement over giving it to me made it seem somewhat Swarovski-ish in quality. We used it yesterday when we were pre-hunt checking the smoke poles at the shooting range and it worked just fine. :)

Aside from that I got some of Mom's special nut-ball cookies to bring home and some candied pecans from a buddy's Mom. Couldn't ask for more!

Both boys got a USA made Buck rubber handled fixed blade, a USA made PH1 Schrade and Little Finger... those were tough to find and pricey but well worth it. Both got quality cold and warm weather camo hunting rain gear and orange pack vests like dear old Dad's.

This was only their second year that they both chose to indulge deer hunting. Oldest took his first last year and youngest took his first this year so they're properly hooked and needed proper outfitting.

Ran across a couple of Nikon Prostaff 2-7x shotgun scopes NIB for $75 each and just couldn't say no. So they both got Weaver bases, quick detach rings, and a set of the TruGlo steel vent rib clamp on sights so that they could still use the shotguns once the scope was detached and the base stayed installed. Those went in their stockings and now they have optics on their turkey shotguns like I've always used.

I spoil them I know, but it's a selfish thing because that's what I get my real kick out of at Christmas.

added....
Oh! I did buy myself a Christmas present. Picked up one of the Yildiz pistol grip 12 ga. camo shotguns at Academy Sports and topped it with one of the Weaver Kaspa 1-4x with quick detach rings.
I know I know... Turkish?!?!?
It is a darn light and slick handling shotgun and the glass is awesome, so we'll see if it pans out.

Last edited:
My fiancee got a Walter p22 in angel(tiffany) blue with a stainless slide.

Its funny, Santa must have grabbed my credit card earlier today though because all of the sudden I had a charge for a Bear Creek Arsenal AR15 in 7.62x39 :D

I got a Safariland 6378 holster that adapts to my TLR1. Wonderful for the winter months CCW. Also got a $25 visa gift card that I used to buy one of those safety levers that covers the release on the holster for my academy. I was looking at the hood protector, but I like this little lever guard. It keeps the holster looking original, you can't tell it is there unless you know, and it addes the extra level of safety. At my academy the instructors will randomly try to take your gun (red trainer) from you. So this will be a wonderful add on to my holster.

Girlfriends parents got me a bore snake to use in the academy as well. Oddly enough I always thought they were kind of a joke. Until one night working the jail I got tasked with cleaning my Sergeant's duty gun. All we had in the armory was bore snakes. I snarled and used it anyway. To my surprise they worked amazingly! Even with this thing being dirt nasty it had his barrel all good and clean!

Along with the bore snake a Bushnell flashlight. I bought myself a UC35 Fenix, so this one will be an extra I keep in my patrol bag.

Then two pairs of ASP handcuffs. One chain and the other hinged. Both laser engraved, courtsey of my father and his buisness, with my last name on the arms of the cuffs.

Santa brought me a Tipton Gun Vise and a Wheeler FAT torque wrench. 10 yr old son got a Rem 870 20 guage. Both sons (10 & 8) got fishing tackle also.

Back