So, the worst has happened.

Answers:

1. You are justified to use lethal force because the assailant is in fact threatening you with immediate serious bodily harm with a lethal weapon.

2. After use of lethal force, notify authorities immediately and if the BG is wounded, make sure to tell 911 to send medical aid. Do not try to "clean up" the scene or move anything. From this point on, everything in the area is now evidence.

3. If I am knocked down sufficiently that I am also in pain, then I really have no other option because I can't flee or retreat.

4. "Officer, I felt that my life was in danger. I wish to speak with a legal council".

I'm going to second, third, fourth, whatever, Glenn Meyer's advice. If you've taken a blow to the head, tell the cops you're injured, you intend to cooperate, but you need medical attention NOW. Quite frankly, my plan is to ask for medical attention even if I am unaware of any injury, for the simple reason that I may, in fact, be seriously injured without knowing it. I'm also asking for a lawyer.

Most of all, shut the heck up, because your hyper-excited babbling will land you in the dock. You just shot a man . . . there's a name for that: "Defendant"

Last edited:
like the detective says in homicide before talking to BG when he has all the evidence

Either way he's all done.
If no cellphone, go and get help and definately have EMS come w/cops. It would be interesting to know if some still wouldn't want to talk without attorney presence

Posted by Rachen: "Officer, I felt that my life was in danger. I wish to speak with a legal council".

One more time, a much better idea is to

1. Say something like, "that person (or those people) attacked me." You are thus immediately identifying yourself as the victim. It also helps get the investigation off on the right track. follow that by...
  2. Saying something like, "I will sign a complaint." You are thus immediately identifying the other guys(s) as the criminal(s). Follow that by....
  3. Pointing out possible evidence, especially evidence that may not be immediate apparent. You don't want any such evidence to be missed. Do not forget about...
  4. Pointing out possible witnesses before they vanish. They are not likely to reappear on their own volition. Conclude by....
  5. Saying something like, "I'm not going to say anything more right now. You'll have my full cooperation in 24 hours, after I've talked with my lawyer."

I don't pretend to know the laws of each and every State but it would be a pretty reasonable guess that if that State issues CCW Permits, then being able to defend yourself against a deadly force with deadly force is within the parameters of the law.

The above statement takes most of your scenario into play except being dragged into a alley after being struck from behind. If you get struck from behind that you simply have no situational awareness and now you must scramble for survival. If you are on the ground, and he is standing up, roll like you never rolled before, go for your gun and shoot the crap out of the assailant.

As far as the police are concerned, call them immediately. Tell them you were assaulted by a guy with a knife that attempted to kill you. You were afraid for your life and you may have suffered great bodily harm from the blow you received. Get yourself an ambulance ride to the nearest hospital and call your lawyer from there. Say nothing further until legal counsel has arrived.

No, no. I don't think you guys understand this yet. Every piece of advice I have ever gotten from the police on this is to:
1) Give the nice man with the knife anything he wants.
2) Tell the nice man your name and try to make person-to-person contact.
3) Beg for your life on your knees if you have to.
4) Remember what he looks like so you can be a good witness later, if he doesn't kill you.

Then, later at his trial after you have testified, as he is posting bail, his lawyer can find out your name and address.

So, now I revert to my experience and training as an LEO. Not much of this is going to be good news. However, it's what you can reasonably expect to happen if you shoot the dude.
The cops responding are going to have a few questions for you. Answer these questions. Name, DOB, address, what happened, do you have a permit (if needed) for the weapon. Remember, they are hearing only one side of the story. The dude you shot ain't talking. Pray that there were a few witnesses to back you up.
As a Cop, the only facts I have, is that someone has been shot, and I am talking to the guy who did the shooting. Therefore, I will secure the weapon, preserverve the evidence at the scene, and take the shooter into custody. Let the Detectives work out all the details.
You, as the shooter, had better be ready to have a really long talk with the Detectives at the station. From their point of view, there are still too many unanswered questions. It all boils down to whether they believe your story.
They will, in all probability, call in the ADA on call, and get him involved. After all, a homicide has taken place. They can't make the call as to whether or not it was justifiable. That's the DA's job. He will then, probably pass the buck on to a Grand Jury. They will be the ones to make the final determination as to whether you go to trial, or not. This could take weeks.
As this is a homicide, you may not be eligible for bail, and be waiting to find out their ruling as a guest of the County, while trying really hard not to become overly friendly with the big guys with all the tattoos.
OK, Grand Jury comes back with a No True Bill ruling, and you are released. No criminal charges. Go home.
Now, you can expect to be sued in Civil Court. After all, you killed the "sweet, hard working, God fearing, church attending" child of a grieved parent.
I can go on all day, but the point that I am trying to make is that it behooves you to do everything within your power to avoid pulling the trigger. If you really have to, ..........
I can assure you, that this is going to cost you a fortune in legal bills, and might take years to work itself out.
Bye the way, you should have already done some research as to who the best criminal lawyer in your area is. You are going to need him.

You were walking down the street at 10:00 PM. As you passed an alley, you were struck from behind, dragged into the alley, and knocked to the ground. Looking up, you saw a person with a knife standing over you, demanding your money. You are armed with your usual CCW.

1. What actions are you legally justified to take?

A reasonable person could articulate a fear for his life based on the violent physical attack and the knife threat. You would be justified in defending yourself with deadly force.

2. If you use deadly physical force, what do you do next?

Check for immediate threats, such as accomplices, and call 9-1-1. I would advise the 9-1-1 operator that someone had attacked me and tried to rob me, that I defended myself, and the suspect was incapacitated at the scene.

If the criminal isn't dead, and you feel that you are capable of providing lifesaving assistance, you may attempt to treat him/her until emergency services arrive.

3. Do you really know the law in your location as it pertains to use of force?

Yes.

4. What do you say to the Police when they arrive?

"Officer, this man attacked men (point out criminal), and threatened me with that knife (point out evidence). I am licensed to to carry a firearm and I defended myself."

Any further specific questioning would be met with an acknowledgement that I want to cooperate fully, but that I would like to have my attorney present before consenting to a detailed interview.

Last edited:
Back