So tell me about your K frame snubbies

The medium frame snubbies always struck me as too big. Compare the height of a M10 with a Colt Det. Spl. Unless you have oversize grips on the Colt it is much easier to conceal, yet still offers six shots of .38.

For the height of a medium frame revolver you could carry an eight shot 1911 that is flatter to boot.

The small frame .38s are good pocket guns. That "thinking man's" M12 is too large for any but a coat pocket.

The medium frame .38s do seem like nearly ideal trail guns though.

K frame snubbies are appealing; with that said,
especially the S&W model 12 Airweight .38 SPL.
And often times, when you do find one in LNIB
condition; the price is inflated. Seems like they
are disappearing from the market?

I still prefer the J-frame Smith & Wesson model
60 for deep cover concealment. I don't care for
hammerless revolver's; as most have terrible
double action's.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Accuracy/Schmacracy

My 2" Mod. 10 is a belly gun for quick reaction self defense. With the threat FOR WHICH I DEFEND, I sure don't need a tack-driver. It just has to go BANG every time I pull the trigger..and it does.
Just my 2 cents.

Ala Dan,

I don't care for hammerless revolver's; as most have terrible double action's.

So get the double action fixed by a good 'smith. Why have a hammer on a pocket gun? It's just going to snag on the pocket, and it's not like you're going to thumb-cock the piece in a defense situation. :confused:

4thHorseman

You guys know where I can get a holster for the model 65 for a 3 inch barrel? I could never find one anywhere.

With winter OWB season here, may I recommend Galco's excellent "Speedmaster"?

2" Model 64

I used to have a 2" Model 64 - Nice smooth operating revolver, but I have to admit, I like my SP101 better .....

My Pimp Gun...

I had one of the older nickel Mod 19s with a 2.5" bbl but quickly realized it was no handier than a longer tube so I 86ed it. In concealment it is Butt Size moreso than Bbl length that makes the difference. A 4" will go into any place that a 2" K Frame will.

I suspect that's why the S&Ws are mostly round butt now. People used to buy the square butt Chief's Special coz it looked cooler, however it was not as easy to conceal or did not point as naturally as the uncooler looking round butt. JMHO.

I use a Mod 66 2 1/2". I find it accurate and comfortable to shoot. I like it so much that there's another Mod 66 2 1/2" and a 3" Mod 65 LS just sitting in the safe with nothing to do.

Last edited:
Love my M-10-5, with a two inch tube and round butt. Much easier to shoot than a SP-101 or a "J" frame.
I drool at the thought of a M-64.

K-frame snubs are fantastic.

I've got a 19 2.5", and think it is fantastic.

Don't know why Inspector Callaghan doesn't like the 2.5s, unless it's the rather trivial matter (in my opinion) of full-length brass ejection. Proper ejection procedure should not hinge on an additional 0.5" on the ejector rod.

Happy New Year To All,

Hey Tam, I very rarely carry any gun the size of
a Smith 36-37-38-49, 60 or like's, in the pocket's of my
pant's; cuz it's just too darn bulky. I prefer IWB's or
miscule type belt slide option's.:)

And speaking of a good gunsmith, I don't know of any
here in central Alabama; since the recent death of Mr.
Harry Deal of Plaza Gun Work's?:eek:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Ala Dan,

When Ray G., who I believe is still at Simmons, used to have his own shop in Pelham, he did some pretty fair 'smith work, mostly on his own guns.

Bob C

4th Horseman,

I had Bob Mernickle make a holster for my 3 inch 64 ( when I still had it.) Holster model was PS12..

Mike M.

Back