So tell me about your K frame snubbies

I have a snub 19 and it is fast becoming one of my favorites. I had an identical 66 that I just never got used to, but this 19 is great.

I have a Model 12 Airweight...what some folks call "the thinking man's Chief Special". Six rounds in a light package, blessed with one of the best DA triggers I've ever felt on a wheelgun.

Very classy totin' piece, that.

sw12.jpg

That is nice lendsringer, how much does it weigh? Comparing it to a J frame, do you find the recoil more comfortable in spite of the light weight? Thanks for your help.

Would you consider 3" a snubbie?

I'm trying to catch up with lightsped's posts of his Taurus 85's... ;)

swpc13.jpg

I can't get enough of this gun; it has everything I want in a totin' piece. (Although I don't tote it near as much as I should...)

I have a 2 inch S&W model 64. The larger grip makes all the difference in shootability over a j-frame. Now, if S&W will only make a Scandium or Titanium 2.5 inch fixed sight k-frame with a coil mainspring so that the grip can be made about 1/2 inch shorter for ease of concealment.

That would be the perfect carry revolver for me.

sox,

A 2" Model 12 with steel cylinder weighs in at 18 ounces.

Very early alloy-cylinder guns are much lighter, much more valuable, and much unsafe to shoot. ;)

Lendringser

You have a not too common and fine instrument in the model 12.
I have a new-even if it is 40+years old- factory sieplate which is only for your gun. If you ever ruin the one on yours then give me a line. It is not a inflated money thing with me--I do not operate like that but you will have difficulty in locating those md 12 parts.
I have seen them warpted and rendered unservicable by handgunners who allowed oil to dry inside of them. The oil virtually seals the seams where the side plate fits the frame. In order to remove the plate a certain amount of pressure has to be used to remove it and that is when the part will warp.
Don Mallard

Funny. Not ten minutes ago I was getting dressed to go out for the night and got my M12-1 out of the safe. Mine's an old flat latch with factory grips and a Tyler T. :cool:

19, 2½ roundbutt. Great carry, easy shooter, very accurate. Will outlast many stainless and other alloy guns.

Sam

I have had, in the past, a two-inch Model 10, a three-inch Model 13...wish I had it back, come to think of it...and a two-and-a-half inch 19 and a 66 w/same barrel length...to my way of thinking, the THREE-INCH "K's" are the way to go...Model 10,12,13,19 or 66...after having used the two and two-and-a-half inch barreled guns, I believe the IDEAL "K" snubby would be a THREE-INCH Model 13/65--if you like fixed sights--or a THREE-INCH Model19/66--if you prefer adjustable sights, like I do...the guns I have always been most ambivalent about are the TWO-INCH "K's"...the Model 10/64 and the Model 15,especially...if you're going to have the larger, harder-to-conceal adjustable sights, might as well go to the THREE-INCH barreled guns with their full-length ejector rods...just my two cents' worth....mikey357

I have a nickel 2.5" Model 19-5 that I purchased new in 1986. I'm still trying to remember why I bought it in nickel, but I think it was because there weren't any blue ones available at the time. I recently put a pair of checkered Hogue coco bola bantam grips on it and have been using it for CCW when I'm not carrying my Series 70 Colt Government Model.
I think the 19 is an excellent gun and is extremely accurate with quality loads. At the range I usually shoot .38 Specials through it, sometimess +Ps, and occasionally some .357s.

I have an older model 65, 3 incher. The firing pin is in the hammer. I did the trigger work to get rid of a gitty feel right before let of. It was annoying until I fixed it. I like it very much, but tend to carry the smaller colt 6 shoot more.
You guys know where I can get a holster for the model 65 for a 3 inch barrel? I could never find one anywhere. Any ideas that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg? Thanks.:)

Blade-tech made an IWB for my 3 inch mod 65, it was a little long but I cut it off with a Dremel tool. I found a Bucheimer for 2 1/2 inch 19 or 66 on a closeout table, got it for less than $7.00 including tax but the edge of the barrel shows. My 4 inch model 19 rides in it just fine but has to be raised much higher to remove from holster. I haven't found a web site for Bucheimer, maybe they went out of business, they made some great stuff. Many custom makers advertise models for 3 inch but are pricey. Barrell also shows in Uncle Mike's super belt slide. Leather is like good wood, a joy to look at but synthetic materials are cheaper and more durable & waterproof. I suspect a leather IWB wouldn't smell too good at the end of summer. I enjoy looking at fine leather makers catalogs same as the Leopold brochure with custom rifles. There's bound to be old models out there since FBI used the mod 13 a few years ago.

RS2, aint nothing prettier than a nickel snub 19. I bought one on auctionarms a couple of months ago and there is another there now. Do I need 2?

maxwayne - I'm glad there's someone else out there with a taste for the nickel snub. I used to wish that I had gotten a blue one, but this one has grown on me - it's a keeper.

I think it would be very cool to have a matched brace of nickel snub 19s. Perhaps in a double shoulder holster? Let us know when you buy the second one.

I love my S&W 65 LS. I got the Ladysmith because I prefer wood grips and these particular wood grips are very comfortable for me. It is a 3" barrel .357. This is also one of the best looking guns I've seen (matte stainless finish, very nice and very comfortable rosewood grips), though now that I've seen the picture of that blued S&W Tamara has I think it may be a bit nicer :(.

The 3" barrel is long enough that it is highly accurate. This particular revolver is as accurate as any 4" I've shot. It is short enough that it is still a snubbie and very concealable and it handles very well. With the K-frame you give up some concealability vs. the J-frame but you get a stronger gun that can hold 6 instead of 5 rounds. In fact, the K-frame is strong and heavy enough to comfortably handle most .357 loads and all .38 loads (even the hottest +Ps or +P+s are very comfortable). With all but the hottest .357 loads this gun will last as long as I want it and with .38 +Ps it will probably last forever. Probably the most versitile gun around. When I move to a CCW state this is probably going to be my primary carry gun 80-90% of the time.

About the only thing I think a smaller J-frame may be better for is if you want to carry in your pocket (thus I will eventually be buying a used J-frame or a Taurus 85 to compliment this gun- maybe the S&W 60). Certainly a good combination to have when I move to a CCW state.

S_W_65_LS.art

Last edited:
Back