So....I'm a terrible shot. Help?

The time it takes to pull the trigger is not long enough to think/react on a single stage or the second stage of a two stage trigger. You commit when you start to pull.

My local CMP club offers great basic instruction for free to new shooters that show up to their weekly shoot. Not as detailed as a two day Appleseed, but free and weekly. If you showed with a 30-30 they'd probably let you shoot it but not report the score. If not they would lend you a carbine. Might look for a similar club in your area for the specific firearms you want to learn. Most competitive groups around me offer some help to new shooters, but not great like the CMP shoot. One of the top shooters there will put up his rifle and sit right with a new person until they are scoring with all their shots.

Can't teach you to shoot better without witnessing how you currently shoot. The technique's taught to shoot accurately are many. Bad habits are hard to overcome without some other pointing them out. When pointed out then you know you must improve on that/those bad habit/s or reconsider your involvement in the shooting sports. Just saying. Any part of The Shooting sports is a serious endeavor. Safety and accuracy are paramount.

You should be able to find an NRA instructors class schedule in your area at this site. Take a BASIC rifle and pistol course for starters. Most instructors are happy to help with any after class information or questions. That is your first step. You will be familiarized with the workings of most firearms and safe gun handling. You will also get practical range time where the instructors are present to coach you. After that, it's up to you to get that practice.

https://home.nra.org/

You certainly don't want to train in bad habits. Lessons, not a bad idea. Hunter Safety Class, another must do and a lot of states now use an online version before needing to attend any kind of classroom.

I shoot a 7mm Rem Mag, and boy let me tell you from the bench she kicks like a mule. But, I intentionally shoot this gun knowing it's going to kick me. I spend a lot of time, when the weather permits, firing this gun specifically so I don't get a flinch.

Nothing surpasses time behind the trigger. I also take a rimfire 22 of some sort with me because repeated shots behind the 7mm heats up the barrel and wears on the shoulder.

Keep in there, you've already taken the first step by asking for advice. Never stop learning.

Mike

You may wish to consider the purchase of a good quality air rifle and/or air pistol.
Other than recoil control, all the basics of marksmanship are there, and you have the convenience of being able to practice at home whenever you wish.
Hey, that's my line.
Actually the modern blow back airguns have about the same recoil as a .22 rimfire.
A couple of mine might have even slightly more.
And are at least as accurate at home practice distances.
Welcome to the 21st century.

Focus on your form. If possible, I'd advise you to spend a lot of time with the Ruger 22/45 and to get your hands on a 22LR rifle if possible. Learn how to hold a gun from a friend or from a youtube video. Learn the following from an experienced friend, or even a good youtube video:

1. How to properly hold a firearm, including how to position your body
2. What to look at when you're aiming
3. How to pull the trigger properly

Then practice those three over and over. It's like anything else involving muscle memory, the learning curve is very quick. You'll go from novice to decent very quickly... then it's a long road to actually be "good".

Ps. Even dry firing (practicing your trigger pull without the gun loaded) can help and costs nothing.

+1000 on all the posts that recommend you sign up for a safety course.

As you strive to improve and are focused on shooting the target, you don't want to learn or perpetuate bad habits.

Buy a .22lr rifle - A Ruger 10-22, or Marlin 60. Put Tech-Sights' GI style aperture sights on it, and SHOOT IT a lot.

Go to an APPLESEED shoot near you with the above-mentioned rifle and you will get some good instruction on the fundamentals.

Find someone to teach you how to shoot a rifle. It's all about position, grip, sight picture, trigger control. The same for handguns. Then practice dry firing. Don't start shooting off hand. Start from a bench, move to kneeling, sitting, then finally standing (off hand). Learn from them how to shoot with a sling. Once you've learned correct form then dry fire a lot, go to the range. Buy a 22 practice with that. Then put some rounds down range with your high power rifle, then end with the 22. Build confidence. Anyone can learn to shoot. Now is the time to get some help before you build bad habits.

Best of luck,

Back