So I kind of suck at shooting pistols

This happens because of your change in focus. At 10 yds, most folks are blasting. At 25yds, you really have to aim. At 50yds, muscle control through the squeeze becomes hyper critical.

Returning back to 10 yds is bringing that trigger control back to short yardage where you can really apply that smoothness and be faster because of it.

Extending the yardage is helping you break the skill down to digestible bites. That is the key. Jerry talks about minimizing everything that is not shooting or something like that.

Agreed. After pushing myself to 100 yards with handguns, I can get a pretty decent group at 10 yards with any half decent handgun as fast as I can pull the trigger.

I was shooting handguns competitively for a long time and enjoyed good coaches and mentors. Eventually I carried the torch on and coached others and I observed a wide range in performance, while a couple of people had no problem to get 15 rounds into the black of the UIT pistol target at 25 meters the first time that they picked a handgun up, some needed years. The ones that performed well from the beginning and could incorporate the formerly given instructions into their shooting, were also excelling in other sports that required coordination.

A very good friend of mine was among those unfortunate guys that hovered around 80 to 83% and it took a lot of one-on-one training to get him to shoot 90%. Especially helpful was video footage of him shooting and intermittently using snaps caps.

What also helped him to go back to the basics and one of the best ways to learn them is free!

https://www.bullseyepistol.com/chapter1.htm

...and FWIW, group size means very little. Scoring is done differently on paper for accuracy and speed. A hit in the A-zone or if the plates fall, make time is the ultimate factor. Standard falling plates are 8" in diameter and 10 yards for handguns is the minimum safety distance for properly angled targets.
We usually shot at 15 yards and to build up the speed to shave just one second of the six hits, it takes a lot of rounds and eventually each shooter will hit his personal "ceiling".

Back