So I just tried to headspace a Yugoslav Model 48

^^

Post-war, means it's the M48 or M48A- mostly manufactured for commercial export.

It also means it's an intermediate length action like the M24, and a 98K "type" (large ring, large shank) bolt would be roughly 1/4" longer and it would be obvious if the bolt were "incorrect" as to it's compatibility with the action.

Mismatched, likely and could certainly be a cause for the inadequate headspace.

What happens to the sights when you tighten down the barrel? The solution is to remove the barrel, ream it, reattach the barrel to the receiver and check the headspace. Now, if there's a super long reamer (or some way to extend it), the receiver can probably stay on.

If you have a barrel vise capable of pulling the barrel this would be preferable IMO. Make sure there are index marks, pull the barrel and clean up the threads, put the "go" gauge in the chamber and snug the barrel up lightly by hand. Feeler gauges between the receiver ring and barrel shoulder will tell you how much deeper the chamber needs to be (again, making the necessary allowances). Because the receiver face will not be true be sure to check several spots.

If you go too deep- the shoulder will need to be set back one full revolution to get the sights clocked, then breech, followed by reaming. Much more work than you'd like to get into.

Several years back, these rifles were available for next to nothing from Century Arms U-Fix-it category. Most of these didn't have bolts. There are several intermediate length bolts that will fit the action, but have to be sightly modified to work. Numrich sells these and are in stock.

Numrich also has a replacement barrel with sight bases for $45.

TK

Last edited:
Post-war, means it's the M48 or M48A- mostly manufactured for commercial export.

It also means it's an intermediate length action like the M24, and a 98K "type" (large ring, large shank) bolt would be roughly 1/4" longer and it would be obvious if the bolt were "incorrect" as to it's compatibility with the action.

Mismatched, likely and could certainly be a cause for the inadequate headspace.

And before that it was suggested a reloader/smith order a bucket of bolts. I made a shop call, seems a builder/resource man was having trouble determining the length of his chamber in a Rock Island 03 period correct 1911. He had 20 head space gages, all of the go-gages allowed the bolt to close and none of the no go-gage would allow the bolt to close. But still he wante4d to know the length of the chamber from the shoulder to the bolt face.

I gave him a choice of 3 different methods; he handed me the box of head space gages so I offered to modify his dies to measure from go to infinity. Anyhow, his chamber was go gage length +.0025" meaning he had .0075" clearance between the bolt face and case head. He wanted less so he wanted to find another bolt. He had no less than 100 03 bolts so I offered to measure each one for their ability to change the length of the chamber. I have 35 new repayment 03A3 bolts; problem I assured him I did not have a bolt that would off set the length of a chamber .0025" and I offered to check all 100 of his bolts. again I told him I doubt if one of them would correct the length of the chamber and he needed a straight handle bolt. He says he found one from John Beard.

And then the question: If the length of the chambers requires shortening, how will grinding/modifying the correct the problem?

And then I offered to form cases for his chamber, I offered to add .005" to the length of the case from the shoulder of the case to the case head. That would give him .0025" clearance. I must have seemed a little eager, he is the only reloader I know that has a hydraulic reloading press, his reloading press has a most interesting story.

F. Guffey

Back