So I bought a new rifle

Looks nice. My oldest has one in .243Win and it has been a good shooter.

When you buy a rifle with a scope already mounted on it, I recommend taking it off and selling it and getting a decent one. :)
I normally would, but It was a vortex crossfire II, I figured it would be decent. It was not. It now has a Primary Arms 4-14x44, mil dot reticle, with adjustable objective on it. Much better glass.

Vortex PST and up, good. Below that, it is a gamble.

PA and SWFA are some budget leaders. If the Crimson Trace optics stay at the steal prices, they are great for the coin.

So quick update. Seems to be picking copper up on the fast side. Total round count is around 120. Did a normal cleaning with a carbon/copper bore cleaner after the first outing of 80rnds. Have fired 40 more since then. Noticed a good bit of copper buildup near the end of the barrel before cleaning. Forgot to take a pic. But Doing a deep cleaning now.

Also the creep in the trigger before it breaks is really annoying me. I pulled the stock and took a look at the trigger group. gonna have to find a tutorial to take it apart.

On a side note, when taking the gun apart the front action screw was finger tight. The action bolts had what appeared to be a drop of red locktite but it was very thin and crusty, I don't believe it was doing anything.

Upon reassembly I applied blue lock tite and after torquing to 25 in lb per mossberg I found I could not remove the bolt. The rear action screw was protruding up into the receiver. I took a file to the screw and shortened it just a touch. but this also makes me think it was not properly torqued either....

While I had it apart I adjusted the trigger. It went from 2.75lb down to 2lb even. Hoping the adjustment might take a little of the creep out.

Just for fun here is an updated pick with the new scope and EGW 20moa rail.
attachment.php

Attachments

• PSA scope.jpg
    PSA scope.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
Got to the range yesterday. No match ammo but some good hunting ammo and some pmc bronze fmj. Only able to get 1.4moa between my buddy and me. Pmc bronze shot poorly. 8moa from my gun. 4 moa from my buddies. His rifle shot tge hunting ammo at 0.51moa.

I hate the trigger. Gonna buy the timney drop in. Reducing the trigger from 2.75 to 2.0 eliminated the creep, but its too light.

I've got two wood stocked Patriot's and love them. First in was a 243. Got it in a plastic stock and ordered a wood stock right away. Great shooter, stays right around 1/2" wit Hornady 75gr V-Maxs. It shot so well I got another and this time came with a wood stock. 308 I bought just for shooting cast bullet's in. No problems at all with it! My heavy rifle for jacketed bullet's is a 30-06 and has been a long time. Actually though it doesn't do much more than a 308!

No such luck here, but I am having a lot of fun with the gun. It has turned a touch more into a project rifle than I had intended but I am enjoying it and.

going forward
I ordered a bedding kit. going to get that done in the next week or so. it might not help a lot, but it should help. its a cheap upgrade.
going to get a new trigger in about 1 month. I just really don't like the trigger in the gun.
still working up my match loads. have about 2 more testing session to go until they are dialed in.

I ordered a bedding kit. going to get that done in the next week or so. it might not help a lot, but it should help. its a cheap upgrade.
going to get a new trigger in about 1 month. I just really don't like the trigger in the gun.
still working up my match loads. have about 2 more testing session to go until they are dialed in.
You might want to take a look at what I did to my patriot stock.

Well, the bedding compound is in and it's clamped together with plenty of mold release compound. Was not able to fully bed the action due to the stupid mag well, but it should be a lot better

Back