So I bought a new rifle

Shadow9mm

I reload 30-06 and the supplies are mostly the same as 308, except for the brass. So i have been kinda browsing the 308 bolt guns here lately. Saw this little rifle in the gun shop today and it followed me home. Mossberg Patriot with a Vortex 3-9x40 on top. I'm a sucker for wood and a fluted bolt. Got her home and cleaned the barrel and action well. Ran the bore scope down and the barrel and was very happy with the very minimal machining marks. Gonne get her broke in tomorrow with some factory ammo, then time to start working up some loads.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Patriot.jpg
    Patriot.jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 281
That's a hot little number. I've never seen one before. Kudos.

Be sure to give us a full range report.

BTW, fellow Hoosier here.
Will go, hoping to get her to the range tomorrow to zero and break in. only have 20rnds or Winchester hunting ammo, but that should be enough. Got brass on the way to start working some loads up.

Just finished re-mounting the scope. It was canted, rings were loose both on the scope and to the base. The base was well mounted with lock tite but there was oil under the bases. I cleaned everything up. put lock tite under the bases and on all the screws. leveled the scope and torqued everything down to 15in-lb (per vortex 15-18 in-lb. did not want to over do it.) all square and tight now.

Even though I am not in the market for a new (to me) rifle that one would have gone home with me too...I too am a sucker for the fluted bolt, never owned 1..

Look down the page a little and you'll see the ussues stagpanther has had with his Patriot.
Indeed and mine is in there too.

Shadow9mm- if you ever take the action out of the stock, use a torque driver to re-tighten the action screws. The magazine guide is plastic and over-tightening the rear screw will bust it right down the middle-

I called Mossberg and one of the things I asked for, was factory torque specs for the Mossberg Patriot. Since certain versions of the MVP share the same, basic plastic 'magazine guide' I thought I'd pass this along. Per Mossberg, synthetic stocked Patriot action screws should be torqued at 25 to 30 inch/pounds, plus or minus 5 pounds. I did not inquire about MVP specs but if you have a plastic stock, it is likely a safe setting. I over tightened mine and broke it. Mossberg is sending me a replacement...

Edited to add- Mine shoots real well and I'm keeping it. But it sure ain't as pretty as Shadow's Patriot.

Got a couple of the same rifles, abit in the synthetic stock and chambered in .270 Win., for my boys.

Just had to re-mount the optics, because most of the screws were loose.

MOA shooters.

Red

Got her out today. The Vortex Crossfire left a lot to be desired. Rather disappointed. Glass was clear. Rather than the black ring I am used to getting when I am too close I was getting a white hazy ring. Clicks were super mushy and indistinct. Scope was having trouble adjusting. Would adjust left to right and get a vertical shift. happened several times while me, and my shooting buddy, tired to get it sighted in.

I struggled with flinch a good bit, trigger is light and I was really anticipating the recoil. Got some work to do on that count. My buddy was able to get a 1moa group out of it. Fired about 45rnds total. Good start.

^ I feel your pain. I went through three well regarded scopes last year with similar, unpredictable adjustment issues- or they simply wouldn't stay zeroed. Funny, my old Bushnells and Nikons didn't have any of those problems.

I finally coughed up the difference and got the basic 3-9-40 Leupold Rifleman. It's an excellent, crystal clear scope with predictable friction lock adjustments that accomplish a precise 200 yard zero in 10-12 rounds.

My Patriot came with a Dead Ringer 3-9x40 that went straight in the 'spares' drawer.

^ I feel your pain. I went through three well regarded scopes last year with similar, unpredictable adjustment issues- or they simply wouldn't stay zeroed. Funny, my old Bushnells and Nikons didn't have any of those problems.

I finally coughed up the difference and got the basic 3-9-40 Leupold Rifleman. It's an excellent, crystal clear scope with predictable friction lock adjustments that accomplish a precise 200 yard zero in 10-12 rounds.

My Patriot came with a Dead Ringer 3-9x40 that went straight in the 'spares' drawer.
Ended up ordering one of the primary arms 4-12x44 FFP mil. My buddy had the same model, different reticle. Worked great today, crisp clear optics. Crisp clicks that did what they were supposed to. and really like the side parallax. Its a touch heavy at 23.9oz (compared to the 14.40z of the crossfire), but its a fairly light rifle. It may end up on a different gun eventually. Really liked his scope, and been wanting to try mils.

When you buy a rifle with a scope already mounted on it, I recommend taking it off and remounting it as if it were brand new. Scope mounting done right is a personal process IMO. Even on my loaner guns for family who come hunt on the property, once they choose the rifle I take the scope off the day before the hunt, we go out and remount it to their preferences and sight it in ( once you get proficient you can site in to Minute of Deer in 5 shots)

Looks nice. My oldest has one in .243Win and it has been a good shooter.

When you buy a rifle with a scope already mounted on it, I recommend taking it off and selling it and getting a decent one. :)

Back