So I bought a few green mountain blanks...

jmorris,

Very nice machine work and interesting thread.
I can't comment on the welding as I do not claim to be a welder.
I have welded but not on guns, when it comes to that I farm that work out.
Thanks for posting this thread.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Well I finally had some time to play with this project again and modified a G2 forearm to work with the original frame and mounted it an and optic banged away at some steel until I had it close enough to put a group on paper. Not the best shooting 22 I have or the easiest to bench for groups because of shot to shot movement but the first photo is a 20 shot group at 60 yards (odd distance but just how far it is from the back door to the bullet trap).

IMG_20160404_125207_861-1_zpsp33jdd1f.jpg

For the Kiddo I mounted an aimpoint comp3 I had and even with the suppressor it's shorter than the 510 she has been shooting.

IMG_20160404_131128_434-1_zpsusx8vvyp.jpg

Nice work for sure.
Very impressive and far beyond the skills of most folks.
But wouldn't it have been much easier to just buy another .22 rifle?

Rem510RestoreDSCF0021-1.jpg

This is a Remington 510 22 bolt action single shot with cut down butt my brother got for $7 from another teeny bopper in the early 1970s.

Then he grew up. I repaired the stock for him.

Nice work for sure.
Very impressive and far beyond the skills of most folks.
But wouldn't it have been much easier to just buy another .22 rifle?

Sure, but I have several dozen .22's, no fun in that. Also, then what would I do? This was the stepping stone for the next barrel that will be .357 Maximum.

It will be the exact same "gun" (with a lot better trigger than almost every "kids" .22) and should be good for anything she will ever shoot, in that caliber, IF, she likes it.

Jmorris,

What looks promising is a very long throat single shot 357 max with boat tail bullet and as long as possible OAL for more powder volume.

This could take big game at a few hundred yards.

Back