So How Many Here Prefer Sabot Over Round Ball for "Primitive " Hunting Season

So you'd no longer have an issue with a caplock shooter (or inline) using a saboted aerodynamic modern projectiles during regular season(s)?

Use what you want during regular season. I think inlines are an abomination but that's just me.

i'd say that lyman book is way off base. 14.5" of drop at 200 yards is BS lol. It drops 10" by the time it hits 150 yards in our .54cal Hawken.

I don't care for inlines either. It's just a modern rifle loaded in a traditional way. I prefer a caplock and am interested in a flintlock eventually.

I don't care for the BP seasons having been hijacked by inlines as it defies the whole idea. But it has been and there are advancements that I can understand the benefit of.

So you'd no longer have an issue with a caplock shooter (or inline) using a saboted aerodynamic modern projectiles during regular season(s)?
Don't know about the "no longer" part. Ndver did have a problem during regular firearms season.
I had a runing discussion with a hunter education director in my state about this very subject. Actually a friend of Tony Knight, the recognized father of "modern muzzleloaders". His reason for using the scope mounted inline was that he wanted to use a firearm capable of a clean kill. I told him that eas also my goal, but within the range that I kniw I am capable of with my muzzle loader.
The introduction of, and the evolution to what inlines are now has created "just another week" of deer hunting because they are so close to modern cartridge rifles.

"The introduction of, and the evolution to what inlines are now has created "just another week" of deer hunting because they are so close to modern cartridge rifles."

I certainly agree. It takes from what was originally intended.

It is what it is !!!

I also knew or spoke to Tony Knight and one of the things that "we" can all be grateful for is he stopped the butchering of SideLocks by drilling and tapping the barrels for scopes and bending the hammer ear to accommodate scopes. I would agree that the MMLs are not "In the Spirit" nor have they ever made any pretense of being so. In-Liners could give a rat's backside, what we think of the MMLs and for the most part, have no idea of what we are talking about or when we mention Traditionals. It's like yelling in a strong wind and we might as well save our breath. ...... :cool:

MMLs are not "in the spirit", MLs in name only and far from a primitive weapon but here to stay. ..... ;)

Last range visit, I was shooting one of my Seneca's next to an in-liner. He came over and asked me for some basic questions as he just got his MML and didn't know squat about them. He was a heck of a nice guy and I proceeded to help him. He actually had a pretty nice rifle but even at that price, would not buy one. "If" interested, take a look at what he had and have to admit that he was shooting some fairly nice groups, not knowing much about them. ... :)

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/muzzleloaders/impact

Be Safe !!!

As for me, I go the other way. I shoot my flintlock in regular rifle season. I don't even bother with "muzzleloader season".

Same when I shoot game with magnum revolvers. It's just a regular hunting season for me. i use what I feel like using, and I do fine.

Back