So, do you tell the officer?

The one time I was pulled over while carrying, I handed the officer both my licence and carry permit.

The officer looked at the permit for a second, said "Huh" and handed it back.

I got a written warning for a burnt out headlight and nothing at all was said about weaponry.

I guess this fellow wasn't a shooter, but it was a non-issue none the less.

I have had some friendly discussions about the merits and drawbacks of various handguns and carbines with the officers I have come in contact with through the years, and I do think most are reasonably pro-gun. :D

------------------
We all have it coming, kid...Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven

RikWriter is right.

From a legal standpoint, you only duty is to answer the officer's questions while you remain in your car.

BUT, if he asks you to exit the vehicle, the prudent and safe thing to do is to disclose that you're carrying with permit and it location.

you don't want to get a rookie all excited with an itchy trigger finger when you don't have to.

In Seattle, one too many officers have been on the wrong side of the gun debate and hassled an otherwise law abiding citizen because they were intimidated.

Keep your trap shut unless you have to.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rat turds powered by mouse farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

Just did this yesterday. A friend and I were coming back from the range. A group of "professors" - ha ha - Judge :) , we were enjoying ourselves. After some TX BQ for
a late lunch, my buddy was driving me home.

As we came over a slight rise, there was the local law. We got pulled over. As my friend, was driving, in TX, he had to get out his
license and CHL. I got out mine also.

When the officer came to the window, my friend give him both and I said I have a chl
also. He asked if we were carrying our weapons and we said Yes. He asked if we were coming back from the range. He saw the muffs on the seat. Yes, we said. But my buddy still got the ticket.

Macondas, I had the pleasure of meeting Lewis once (I bought a knife from him) and indeed we are lucky in KY to have officers like him.

Mark

------------------

Thanks for the kind words guys. I am very glad that most everyone here has had positive experiences. Take care.

As stated, Texas requires display of both DL and CHL (when carrying).

Even if I am not carrying I will show my CHL. THis immediately lets the officer know I am not a convicted felon and have no "record"b whatsoever and thus a "good guy".

I've only been stopped once for speeding on that damn US59 around Nacogdoches. 55 to 70 MPH changes about 9 times in 12 miles. Anyway, when I displayed my CHL and DL the officer didn't even blink. I was very pleased at his reaction, or rather the lack thereof.

Be safe.

CMOS

------------------
GOA, TSRA, LEAA, NRA, SAF and I vote!

My state requires disclosure, so I do.

The more interesting question is this scenario, which actually happened to me. In my fair city, many local cops moonlight at security gigs for $15-25/hour, wearing full city LEO uniforms. One day I entered a gun show here, and the "security officer" there (wearing police uniform) asked me to "check" my gun (which really means unloading and putting a twistie thing in the action) with him after I attempted to enter, upon paying the entry fee (I was wearing a fanny pack). Now I'm in quite a dilemma, and my mind is racing because I'm madder'n a wet hen for being "disarmed" at a GUN show of all places, yet I wanted to make sure I complied with the "disclose your CCW to police officers immediately when in contact with one" thing in my state CCW law. My initial instinct was to go with the flow and say "OK", here's my gun, since I felt reasonably safe from criminals at a gun show. However, the decisive factor in causing me to resist disclosure was the fact that I didn't think I'd be asked to disarm, and therefore my pistol was chamber loaded as usual. I immediatley envisioned a huge scene when the LEO discovered it loaded,and envisioned myself detained in handcuffs and possibly charged with some crap - because I know how sensitive LEOs can be about loaded guns. On the other hand, though it didn't enter my mind right there, I later decided that this LEO was NOT working in his capacity as LEO, but ONLY in his capacity as a PRIVATE citizen security officer, which would negate the disclosure requirement in my view. So the dialogue ended up going something like this:

Security Officer ("SO"): "Check your gun here, sir"
Me: "What?"
SO: "You need to check your gun in here".
Me: "What makes you think I have a gun? Can I enter the show?"
SO: "Sir, you need to check your gun or I can't let you enter"
Me: "I don't have a gun. Do you have any evidence that I have a gun?"
SO: "I know you have a gun"
Me: [Turning and walking back toward door worker] I want my money back."
Worker: "Why"
Me: "This officer won't let me enter. He says I have a gun but I don't."
Worker: [Looks toward SO. SO shrugs] "[relctantly] OK, here" [gives money back, I leave.]

Though this SO was very polite and probably considered "reasonable" by the gun show owners, I found it unreasonable for him to assume I was armed just because of a fanny pack (i.e. no "probable cause" - applying here only as an analogy), and upon reflection, I don't think I had any duty to either tell him the truth voluntarily, or even after asked directly. I have never attended that particular gun show again. Of course the question that intrigues me is, if he had arrested me, found the gun, and charged me with the failure-to-disclose-CCW-thing, would I have been successful beating the charge based on the fact he was not employed by the city at the time of the gun show incident, despite the uniform? In fact, I would have argued he had no right to wear that uniform when not on duty, but not sure if this is valid argument...

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited January 07, 2000).]

Foto, as an experienced gun show attendee, I am surprised the SO picked up on your fanny pack or would not allow you in without checking it...they never do that here in Florida. Of course, every retired person walking around in shorts here carries a fanny pack, so...
Personally I always carry in a show...I am not violating the law, and I really could care less about their policy.

Futo,
May I suggest that you post your 'experience' at the gun show as a new thread so more members of TFL can see, relate and discuss? I'm sure there are others who have faced similar situations. I know I have...

------------------
...save the 2nd. No fate but what we make...

I would always tell the LEO, as situation dictates.

Lewis-damn! Glad I live in KY. Lock-up a fellers gun to secure it for him, I feel that is a little above and beyond! I do not condone DUI, but as a LEO when you catch as man slipping I think securing his gun( or any other valuables) for him is very honorable.

Later
Daren

[This message has been edited by Daren Thompson (edited January 07, 2000).]

Back