So, do you tell the officer?

Parshal

Inactive
If you get pulled over for a traffic violation, do you tell the officer that you're carrying a loaded firearm? This assumes you have a CCW.

I would appreciate it. I have yet to see a need to disarm a permit holder who told me they had a gun. I have arrested a couple of DUI's who legally had a gun in their car and I gave them the option of me locking the gun in the glove box or putting it in property at the station for them to pick up the next day. Both ways worked out fine. contrary to what you see on the TV news, most cops are either pro gun or don't care. As long as you don't surprise us with the gun and it is legal (which is easy here in KY) you shouldn't have any problems.

Tennessee requires it, but I would do it anyway. It's the first thing I tell an officer regardless of his initial request.

I put both hands on the steering wheel and recite, very calmly, "I have a permit to carry a pistol. I have my pistol with me right now. What would you like for me to do?"

So far so good...

Mikey

Depends on the situation. If I am stopped and he wants me to stay in the car (as is the norm for traffic violations around here) then no, there is no reason at all to tell him. However, if he wants me to get out of the car, I would definitely tell him so he won't get panicked if he pats me down.

Wyoming doesn't require you to say a word. I have only been stopped twice and I very politely told the officer I was in possesion of firearms and where they were located. Both officers seemed to appreciate it and I was not cited (only warned). Once was for inoperative tail lights, the other for a lead foot.

Subsequently I was told when a LEO runs a check on you a check for CCW is automatically done. I suppose they appreciate knowing before the check is run and they will find out anyway.

Put yourself in their shoes for a moment: wouldn't you want to know? Besides, LEOs have way to much to worry about as it is...

------------------
...save the 2nd. No fate but what we make...

Fox, I agree. We are the good guys (except in Denver where they can confiscate your car even with a valid CCW - go figure). As an ex-LEO, O would apprciate that CCW guys& gals would just advise. If nothing else, it shows that they're "proven good guys."

I'm required by my issuing sheriff to state so anyway. Had three encounters so far with LEOs (2X sheriffs & 1X game warden) - zip problems. 1st sheriff was very interested & wanted to know all about the process 'cause he hadn't seen one before (a CCW card) - a good guy in my book.

The Police Officer who taught the required ccw course I took stated to hand the officer your permit along with your drivers license; that way there are no misunderstandings.

Best Regards

Sam

I always hand over driver licence and CCW at same time. No problems yet.

Once I was going way over the legal speed limit. It was at night. Pulled over as soon as I saw the blue lights. Turned on the inside lights, gave him my licence and permit. All he did was look at them for a second, and said "How about slowing it down a little", gave them back and walked away.

Let the LEO know you are one of the good guys.

Johnboy

Any time the conversation is official, yes. Asking for directions, or the time, no. Give 'em a break.

Erik

As a former Virginia Trooper, I have read this thread and would prefer Mikey's method of handling this situation. Revealing carry is voluntary in the Commonwealth, but I would always let the LEO know of my carry and ask what he/she would like for me to do.

As CCW owners, we have an obligation the assist LEOs. Gun owners need to support police efforts and help the law enforcement community fight the real criminals out there. These criminals are why we carry in the first place.

The instructor in my CCW class also said to hand the officer both cards. Thank goodness I haven't been in that situation yet!!

Mark

------------------

I was recently stopped by a sheriff's deputy one evening for a burnt out headlight. When he asked for my license and registration I also included my CWL. He briefly looked it over and then seemed to lighten up a bit, asking me what I was carrying. I was carring a Kahr K9 that nigt and he replied "nice little gun" and finished writing up the warning for the headlight and sent me on my. Never did aske to see or secure the gun.. The Sheriff in Orange county is decidely pro-gun. Know several shooters who have sheriff approved NFA weapons. Mark / FL

I've had one encounter since I got my CCW. I was pulled over for taking the "FasToll" a bit too literally. I kept my hands on the steering wheel with my window down and when asked for my license & registration, I informed him that I had a carry permit and that my gun was in a holster in the glovebox along with my registration and asked how he'd like to proceed. He asked what I had, I told him a SIG (he had a SIG), so he told me to just lay the gun on the seat and get my reg. I handed over my lic., reg., and CCW. He looked 'em over, handed 'em back, and said he appreciated me telling him (he would have found out when he called me in, as CCW is xreffed to driver lic., but I prefer that he hear it from me, right up front), and that he only really worries about the guns people don't tell him about. We chatted about SIGs for a couple minutes, he told me to slow down and enjoy the lovely evening, and that was it. So far, so good. M2

Hey, Big George, greetings from the communist north (Fairfax).

Yes, tell. I did a few times - and got out of the ticket each time.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

In SC, it's required by law to inform a LEO if asked for ID.

The only time I've had occasion to inform ans LEO of my permit/gun was when I was riding with a friend and he was stopped. Though not required by law to do so (he never asked for MY ID), I still informed him. He thanked me for the heads up and that was was that.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lewis:
contrary to what you see on the TV news, most cops are either pro gun or don't care. As long as you don't surprise us with the gun and it is legal (which is easy here in KY) you shouldn't have any problems.[/quote]

Lewis,

You've reaffirmed my faith in KY Police Officers!!

As has been mentioned, Texas requires you to hand over both. I have only been stopped once this year. I showed both to the officer as a matter of course. Before I could even say anything, I was asked if there were firearms in the truck. I explained I was returning home from a match and I had three handguns with me. The officer asked me where the guns were and I explained they were in the shooting bag in the club cab and one under the console. He told me to just leave them where they were.

The officer ran the standard check on me and then informed me how the road I was traveling changed speed limits a couple of times. We discussed the location of those changes. He gave me a warning.. and then grinned.. "So, how did you shoot and what kind of competion was it?"

In small town Texas, we truely have Peace Officers. :)

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper

I was recently pulled over because I was confused about what stickers go where on Georgia license plates (I was new to the state). I told the officer I had a gun and a pistol permit. He seemed surprised. My mistake was telling him that in that order. I should have mentioned the permit first and then the gun. He took the gun, ran the serial number, found it wasn't stolen, told me I had placed my year sticker on top of my month sticker, placed the gun on the ground next to my door, and told me I could pick it up after he drove away. Overall, he was very pleasant and didn't cite me though I wouldn't expect to be cited for such a minor violation. Also, I kept my hands where he could see them at all times - hanging out the window. Next time I will just make sure I mention the permit before mentioning the handgun.

Back