So barring any political reasons, how much life does the revolver have left in it?

I'm a hunter. Hunting deer with a revolver is about the only way to go. Yes, there are some autos that will work. They just aren't as versatile as a revolver. Fifty plus whitetails and counting......they aren't dead yet. They'll rule for hunting for a very long time to come.

I own three 9mm guns, a 32 acp and 3-4 22 autos. Thats all the semi autos I need. I have no plans to buy more. I own around 20+ revolvers and am always on the hunt for a new one if I like it.

When I go to Cabelas, a gun store or a pawn shop it is the revolvers in the case that catch my eye. I look at every single one of them. The auto at best get a passing glance.

A six shoot revolver will do all I need for SD. I like that I can go shoot 100 rounds and come home with 100 pieces of brass to reload. I like the way a revolver feels in my hand. A large bore revolver in my hand feels like a "mans gun". The only auto that gives me that feeling is a 1911 and I don't even own one.

I don't care what the cops, FBI or military use. Their handgun needs are different than mine. A revolver will always be my first choice. And only choice.

And when the new Ruger GP-100 in 44 special comes out you can bet I will have one. Muy pronto.

The chambering of .357 magnum in "J' frame sized revolvers may have exacerbated the decline of the revolver. While they sell well, they leave a very bad taste in the mouth (and hand) of most people that shoot them.
;)

The chambering of .357 magnum in "J' frame sized revolvers may have exacerbated the decline of the revolver. While they sell well, they leave a very bad taste in the mouth (and hand) of most people that shoot them.
If you took a poll to get that info you missed a lot of people. Cabela's seems to have trouble keeping them in stock. I just bought one today. I've shot them many times over the years and had no ill effects. However, they aren't for the less experienced or timid.

Well I own many more revolvers than semi-autos. I carry the Glock 19 as my duty sidearm (police officer) and I carried the Beretta back in my Army days, but when it comes to everything else it's revolvers. What will the future bring for revolvers? I really don't know.

This excludes budget conscious folks who are living with the compromises of a revolver due to price, etc.

Think you could point me toward all those revolvers that "budget conscious folks" are buying because they can't afford a Glock?

I'm "budget conscious" but I can't seem to find any, new or used.

Last edited:
Do people still buy single-shot rifles and shotguns? Do people still buy bolt-action rifles and pump-action shotguns?

IMHO revolvers are the best SD option for "non-gun" people who will seldom if ever practice. Revolvers are preferred for hunting. There are people such as myself who feel more comfortable with them due to decades of experience and/or personal preference.

They are all but dead for LE and military use, but I would bet money they will still be manufactured on a large scale and profitably 100 years from now.

I think you might even see a resurgence in revolvers.

Let's face it, the current political climate (regardless who's in the White House over on your side of the Pond) is that guns are suffering from an image problem with a lot of the voting public.

The worst hit of those are the auto-loaders. After all, they feature most in the much-maligned video games, action films, TV series as well as being frequently used by maladjusted people who go on rampages.

The upshot of that is that it is entirely likely that there is restriction of these types of guns to appease the uninformed, opinionated, masses. If that happens, law-abiding gun owners would logically turn to revolvers

I'm no expert, but I'm of the opinion that any reliable handgun is pretty much the equal of any other reliable handgun for personal self defense. Since no one wants to be shot, any reliable gun is equally a deterrent to the assailant or burglar.
That kind of situation is very different from a military combat scenario where two well trained, well equipped, and determined factions, are confronting one another and are willing to accept casualties. Obviously, in this case, the auto-pistol has advantages that cannot be ignored.
But for personal and home defense and hunting, the revolver has some real advantages.
The last time I looked, the cheapest center-fire ammo was 9mm Luger, primarily for auto-pistols, with excellent availability. At the same time and place, the second-cheapest, and close in price, was 38 Special, primarily for revolvers, also with excellent availability.
To me, the market looks flooded with auto-pistols, and they were selling real well. I do wonder, with the outcome of the election, if the demand will drop and if the market will shift a little towards revolvers from where it has been.

I suggest that the revolver will be around as long as the auto. The auto is considered better for military and police work, it holds more rounds. Other than holding more ammo it is generally inferior to the revolver in all other ways. Generally speaking, it's less accurate, heavier for a carry gun, less powerful, it's even uglier in most cases.
Except for spray-n-pray the revolver is best.

Do people still buy single-shot rifles and shotguns?
I would if someone made a quality one, not made in China, and didn't cost over $300.

Do people still buy bolt-action rifles and pump-action shotguns?
Completely different here. Bolt action rifles and pump action shotguns have been a staple for hunters and shooters all over for 100+ years. The handgun market is dominated by pistols and revolvers meant for self defense. Times having changed, technology having improved has put the semi auto pistol over the revolver as a better defensive gun and also in some cases, a cheaper option and the same goes for bolt action rifles and pump shotguns versus semi auto: they're cheaper.

If people could buy good, brand new revolvers for the same price as they could a semi auto pistol that holds 10 or more rounds, the semi auto will still be a more popular choice with the general public.

There are a lot of hand loaders out there, and the revolver is simply the easiest, and most versatile platform for hand loading. I load for .38sp, .357 mag, .41 mag. and 9mm in handguns and the 9mm is by far the pickiest, most difficult, and least versatile one to load. Plus you can get matching lever actions for some nice rifle revolver combos.

Don't the H&R/NEF companies still make single-shot rifles and shotguns, or are they made overseas now? I still own two or three of them.

IMHO purchasing a short-barreled pump shotgun for SD instead of a semi-automatic one with a magazine is similar to purchasing a revolver instead of a semi-automatic pistol.

"The sun never sets on a Webley revolver"

This is true. Using the Webley as an example, it is a gun that was invented well over 100 years ago and a version of it (the Mk IV in .38/200) is STILL used by some police and security agencies around the world, mainly those with British government influence.

I am currently using one for home defense. I put trust in it's time-tested reliability and the ability of a rapid reload with modern speedloaders due to the top break action. This is just one example how the classic revolver is still useful even today. There are new revolver models being released all the time, just check the new stuff from Ruger, S&W, and others. Revolvers are very useful handguns. Here is my Webley Mk IV on home defense duty:

20161204_220022_1.jpg

Interesting thoughts all. I totally overlooked the Kimberly K6.

I am a gun guy. If it has a trigger and propels a projectile I like it. I have a soft spot for wheel guns and I was just musing.

I have more guns than I can shoot ranging from 1911s to tactical Tupperware and so on. I was just thinking about how the rise of the polymer pistol vs old school steel and wood. I love my HK tactical Tupperware but I basically see it as disposable to an extent. I don't see my subsequent generations using them, hell I don't even know if they will be viable enough to shoot as the polymer outgasses.

When I pick up an all steel and wood revolver I see a tool built to last generations. No magazines to lose/track down and generally a robust piece of long lived industrial art if you will.

Sure the average tactical Tupperware is more robust and reliable in the short term/adverse conditions but I feel like a run of the mill GP100/686 will be shot by some historian LONG after I am gone and long after the last gen 1 Glock has become too brittle to remove from its hermetically sealed case.

And there's the days I don't want to chase brass. ;)

Again I was just musing out loud.

Don't the H&R/NEF companies still make single-shot rifles and shotguns, or are they made overseas now? I still own two or three of them.
They went out of business a while back

Poo. :(

I always liked their single-shot shotguns a lot. I have probably hunted with my single-shot NEF 12 gauge more than any other firearm.

The chambering of .357 magnum in "J' frame sized revolvers may have exacerbated the decline of the revolver. While they sell well, they leave a very bad taste in the mouth (and hand) of most people that shoot them
And thats why I carry the measly weak 38 spl in my 357 J-frame for faster follow up shots if ever needed.;):eek: I do concur that 357 out of a J-frame is a turn off.
There was a time that I only shot my revolvers when I didn't want to chase brass down on the range. Then one of the shooters at the range looked into and started an ICORE club at our range. Now I've taken over as match director for ICORE and we shoot monthly. I also will shoot revolver at our steel matches and USPSA matches. Its great picking up 6 pieces of brass at a time, hell can even use a magnet to pick them up.

Last edited:
Back