So... 50 on a budget??

Avoid Valley Ordnance

I'm using an IJK scope on my Valley Ordnance but I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep it. I think the zero is walking a bit but I'll post more later.

Also, make sure you get a limbsaver or something like that to reduce the bruising in your shoulder. Without it, I couldn't shoot more than a dozen rounds before my shoulder was too tender to shoot the Valley Ordnance anymore. The Barrett and McMillan aren't anywhere near as bad (compensators are much more efficient). Could shoot those all day. Also, Valley Ordnance .50BMG will only cycle the top end Hornady rounds. I've tried 6 other types and I only get 20% to cook off (and this is a bolt action! It should go boom every time). Primer strikes are much more shallow than a Desert Tech, McMillan or a Barrett.

SWFA sells the Super sniper for about $300 and is the cheapest scope I would use.

I don't know where people are looking for ammo but there are places selling it for $2 each when on sale and about $3 regular. Match ammo sells for $5-$6 each if you look around for it.

As with any expensive ammo, reload it to keep the price down.

I have a Barrett with a Steiner scope. Lot's of Nightforce's and Leupold.
Most of these scopes are $2-3K.
There are a couple that use a Bushnell scope because of their "No Questions Asked Lifetime Warranty" (Effective January 1, 2016).

If you buy one of their higher end scopes (Like the Elite Tactical) then they reportedly hold up better than many but not like a Steiner, Nightforce or Leupold. But with the warranty, if you can afford some downtime, it might be a deal for you.

SWFA sells the Super sniper for about $300 and is the cheapest scope I would use.

^^ This. I'd sure want more than 10x at any range you'd want to be shooting a .50 (something around 1K and beyond). Go with the SS 16x or 20x fixed.

If mirage is likely to be an issue, might go with the 16x.

Back