snubby question

Dr. Rob

MY 2 cents. In my opinion a .357 in a snubby is not much better than a .38 since the powder doesn't have enough time to burn.
Some of the powder from a .357 will be forced out of the barrel. You need a longer barrel to give the powder enought time to burn and create velocity that gives a .357 magnum an edge. Expect a loud bang with a hefty recoil and a large flame which comes from the powder burning out of the barrel. Don't get me wrong a .357 is nice to have since it shoots .38. I own a total titanium taurus .38 and it works great up to 75 feet. recoil is low accuracy is good and flame is minimal even with the ported barrel.
My friend has a taurus tacker .357 with 4" inch barrel and the sound is a bit much due to the porting however recoil is very mild. If you really want some fun try shooting .45lc or .410 shotgun shells out of a derringer. In any event pick a gun that you like and can shoot well.

My advise is to get a Detective Special, Cobra, Agent, or Commando and load up with standard .38 Special 158gr cast SWC loads.

Recently picked up a 686 Plus seven shot .357, with a 2-1/2" barrel.
A little bit big but fun to shoot, even with 125 gr. magnums.

Honestly I figured a 357 rated gun would be able to handle all the +p I'd want to put in it. (as in FBI load)

Yesterday I decided I needed to know more about all these neat guns. So... off to the shop i went and got a 2001 gun trader's guide and went shopping.

The model 13/65 looks exactly like what I want. Fixed sights, 6 shots.

However.. I also came a cross a Consignment 4 inch Model 10 HB that looked VERY nice, light turn ring on the cylinder, crisp edges ($250) I've also seen some 2 inch model 10's on line. Any thoughts about the model 10?

I read up on the Colt Commando the FIRST version was a 2 inch milspec parkerized Police Positive, the second issue is a DS with a parkerized finish.

I LIKE the low drag front sight on the "newer" d-frame, and the shrouded ejector rod. The tall adjustable sight models don't make much sense to me.

I have seen several "agents" and "cobras" but many look well worn for the money. Thanks for all the replys.. I'm still looking around.

Bottom line is, I like Colts. However.. that Smith has me thinking.

The Model 10 is probably the best .38 deal out there. It is a very high quality gun. With all the police trade ins still out there you can get a great deal on one (if you don't mind some wear to the finish you can get one for $150-200 in great operational shape- to get one that is cosmetically nice too would still be under $300).

Back