snubby question

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
I've been toying with the idea of picking up a used snubby preferably in 357, preferably that holds 6 shots.

I'd LIKE the Colt Magnum Carry.. since its stainless.

But what else is out there?

Any thoughts of what's to like/dislike?

All makes/models are welcome.. I'm listening.

Model 13/65 3" or Model 19/66 2.5" are the top of the heap in .357 carry guns, IMHO.

Colt Magnum Carry: Neat idea, but I've had so many bad QC experiences with recent-production Colt wheelguns that I'd be leery. (SF snubby with barrel screwed on crooked, Anaconda that refused to time and developed noticeable endshake in less than 100 rounds, etcetera)

Dark horse candidate: Taurus 606 is nice, and Taurus 617 gives 7 rounds in similarly-sized gun.

Smith Model 19, 2½", round butt. Six shots and fits in pocket holster. Smooth, accurate and satisfying.

Sam

Had a Colt Magnum Carry and just traded it.

Like you, I thought a stainless six shot Colt would be great. I'll stick to my Cobra and .38 Special +P.
The Magnum Carry I had was not at all like the older Colt snubbies. The action was lousy, felt like it was full of sand. The fit and finish were well below what I consider acceptable in a Colt.

Look around you may find a 2-1/2 inch barrel Colt King Cobra Stainless. Bigger and heavier than the Magnum Carry, IMO more suited to .357 Magnum.

Take Care

I've always been a Colt Man, but.......the SF-VI/DS-II/Magnum Carry wasn't one of Colt's better efforts. It was a "last gasp" attempt to stave off bankruptcy.
I bought an SF-VI and was disappointed in the design. Quality was good, but I had issues in the new lockwork, and the poor design of the muzzle of the gun. The squared off muzzle was so sharp that it could actually slice your hand open.

I modified mine to a close version of the Detective Special, by re-radiusing the muzzle, attaching a ejector rod head, opening up the rod window in the barrel shroud, and cutting a lead for the rear sight.

The gun was acceptable, but I was dissapointed since I really wanted a stainless "D" frame Detective Special.

If you do consider buying the Colt, take a look at one before buying blind. You might do better with one of S&W 's various models, or the Ruger SP-101.
Yet another option, which I intend to do soon, is to buy a Colt "D" Detective Special and have it hard chrome plated. I did this years ago, and was totally pleased.

I've got a S&W model 13. It's the first 3" snubbie I've owned. Is it me or does it balance just about perfect? It's a sweet little piece.
Had a Taurus model 617 seven shot. Excellent snubbie magnum. Beautiful bluing job, nice grip and a very smooth trigger that really surprised me. I was very impressed with this revolver. Good Luck, J. Parker

Sam,

This is not intended as any kind of flame, but I have to ask. What in the world kind of pockets do you have that a 2.5" 19 is a pocket gun?

Only 140 lbs. Have holsters fitted to assorted pockets and guns. 19 snub works fine in front or hip pocket.

Sam

Yes I liked the older version of the D frame Colt as well, and I like the bigger grip of the Colt. But the idea of a 2 inch King Cobra?? (might as well lop off the barrel of a 1917 Army and make a Fitzpatrick special).

Ok so a model 19/66? Or a model 13/65?

Were these ever made in stainless?

I agree with Tamara, for the most part. 2.5" S&W model
66's and 3" 65's are hard to beat.:D I can't speak for the
Taurus?:eek:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Obligatory pitch for Ruger Security Six; Service Six or Speed Six. Unfortunately only available used but used is cheap and cheap is good. Also I must admit to the superb qualities of the S&W K frames. You can't go wrong with Ruger or pre ban Smith.

Taurus makes a lot of great 357 snubbies. There are also a lot of options (like: regular, concealed hammer, CIA).

I am also looking into getting a 357 snubby and I think I am going to end up getting the model 617 ported titanium fixed sight.

John

Ok so a model 19/66? Or a model 13/65?

Were these ever made in stainless?

The Model 19 and 66 are blued and stainless versions of the same gun. Same holds true for the 13/65....the 65 is the stainless version of the 13.

The Model 13 and 19 and their stainless counterparts are excellent designs, and very serious carry pieces. A 2 1/2" Model 19 is next on my list, to keep my 4" model company. A Model 13 with the 3" heavy barrel (the old "FBI gun") is the ultimate toting revolver, but those are not easy to find for just that reason.

And then some really diligent searching may turn up a 3" model 66. I have two of them. I love the way they balance, and the extra 1/2 inch of barrel is the ticket to improved accuracy for my old shooting eyes.:D

I love my S&W Model 65LS with a 3" barrel. It balances perfectly, I don't think I could find a gun that feels better in my hands. It is very accurate. The three inch barrel is much better for accuracy than the 2" and it is still very concealable (though if you put it in a pocket it would probably have to be the only thing in that pocket and it wouldn't fit all pockets- but seems to be the perfect size for IWB). It doesn't seem to be a problem that it has fixed sights as opposed to adjustable as it seems to go exactly where you point/aim it and you don't need to worry about anything causing your sights to go out of alignment. I absolutely love the wooden grips on the LS model. Nothing not to love about this gun. A very happy owner here :D. Check one out for yourself.

S_W_65_LS.art

Last edited:
I bought a taurus model 605, 357 with a 2.25 inch barrel.

It goes bang everytime for only $249!! Oh yes, for picket carry, I got the concealed (chopped) hammer.

Take a gander at a Taurus .357 CIA (Carry It Anywhere). I purchased the .38SPL version.

2" SS 5 shots
Concealed hammer
Rubber Grips
Full underlug

Disappears in pants pocket or coat pocket.

Lighter than a Ruger SP101.

Just started with CCH so I've a lot to learn.

NIB $319 plus the usual taxes and fees.

Call me the lickiest guy around but my Magnum Carry is a fine snubbie. Must not have been made on a Monday morning. The grip didn't fit it well but I found a nice set of wood grips at a gun show. Shrunk it down right nice!

Dr. Rob:

I have one (Colt Magnum Carry), nice gun.

The double action is not good but the single action is really crisp (out of the box).
The grip (with hogue rubber) is outstanding.
The gun is reliable except in very fast double action because the trigger didn´t return all the way; I know that it´s my fault but the design do not help (I improve it with Dremel works). I never have that problem with my S&W (three) revolvers and Python (1).
It´s accurate (after +600 rounds / 5 shots in 3" at 15yds).
I normally use Winchester 110 grains (white box).

To round the edges is a "must", otherwise you´ll have a "knifegun".

I read (year 2001) an article (advertisment !) in Guns&Ammo about C&S dehornig works (about $90 + handling).
Since I´m not in USA I made several works on it by myself and the handgun is ok.

Notwithstanding, I prefer my S&W 66 as defense snubby (over Python and 686, both with 2,5" barrel).

Don´t let it pass if you like it (I keep mine because I like and enjoy it, BUT IT´S NOT MY NIGHT TABLE OR CC WEAPON, I consider S&W better for that purpose). Remember that you´ll have to invest several bucks to improve its action.

Good luck !

Back