Snubbies

ATeaM

I need info on all snubs, from the lightest S&W .38 to the heavy Ruger Sp101.

Whats the lightest snub for acceptable levels of recoil shooting .357 ?

Of the lightweights, how would you compare titanium vs aluminum vs combo metals ?

Which S&W airweight is most prefered ?

How do you carry your snub and what products/holsters are out their to help you with this.

Taurus vs Ruger vs S&W which one and why (no politics)?

I consider the only correct and viable 'snub' to be the S&W M38 Airweight Bodyguard (but that's just me, and perhaps a few others).
I trust my wife with one (or is it "I trust my wife's life with one").

There are no politics in a used S&W.

I have two Taurus 38 snubbies. One is Total Titanium, and the other is a Stainless Steel model. I have been very pleased with both. I always get compliments when I take them to the range....

my2taurus38s.jpg

The smallest and lightest .357 revolver right now is the S&W Model 60. I have one, and it's a nice piece. I had the standard 3 finger boot grip replaced with the smaller chief's special grip.

Regarding the smallest and lightest .38, it's the 342ti (and the like). I have one too. Nice to carry, uncomfortable to shoot.

However, I hear rumors that they are coming out with a .357 made of Scandium which will be about the same weight as the titanium .38. If they do, I'll dump both my J-frames and buy one Scandium gun.

Of the snubs, I prefer the S&W only because of the size and weight. I find that the Taurus and Ruger offerings are just larger and heavier.

Both of my J-frames ride in Galco ankle holsters. I can't speak highly enough of them, they are great.

I have a S&W model 642 (.38 Spcl) and a 3" model 60 (.357). The 642 is aluminum and weighs 15 oz. With FBI load (158 gr. lswc +P), the 642 HURTS to shoot. If you want to spend even more money, you can get an 11 oz titanium .38 spcl. That way it will hurt even more. And if that is not enough pain for you, you can get the new scandium 12 oz. .357 when the become available.

For a .38 spcl, I can't see any reason for something lighter than a 642. All you're doing is paying more money for more pain. For a .357, I can't see any reason for anything lighter than an SP101 or a 3" model 60.

Now I'm sure some folks are going to say "but you won't notice the recoil if you have to use it against a goblin." No argument there. But snubbies are not easy to shoot accurately so you must practice with them a lot. And you're not going to practice with them a lot if they hurt to shoot.

Save your money and get something a bit heavier.

M1911

[Edited by M1911 on 03-12-2001 at 11:51 AM]

Like lightsped, I love Taurus revolvers. I carry a Taurus 85 SS daily off duty in a Desantis holster with a thumb break. I put all of my other guns back in the safe (including a Kimber Ultra Carry). I carry remington golden sabres 125 +p. I also carry a bianchi speed strip in my strong side pocket. I love this gun. Super Reliable and idiot proof in stress situations.

1911 is correct, you've really got practice a lot with snubbies!!!

The KISS principle in effect!

I've got a model 60 (2 1/8") .357 with the full boot grip. I find it's comfortable to shoot with anything (any .38 or .38+P) up to the 110 gr magnum (Win. Silvertip). Above that, it's not much fun, painful even - I can't imagine going thru a whole box of 158 gr magnujms with it). As M1911 pointed out, it's not an easy gun to shoot well (nor are snubbies in general), so regular practice is a real good idea. Good luck, M2

I've got an 042 (Airweight Centennial hammerless) and two Model 38s, all in .38 Spl.

I can't even fathom how I did without an Airweight for so long. You stick one in your belt and you don't even know it's there.

My wife has a stainless Taurus 85 w/ concealed hammer. She is very happy with it, likes the three finger Hogue Monogrip, and can shoot .38 +P just fine with it. It is carried in a purse.

dA29706.jpg

snubbies

I can't speak to the .357 Magnum question, but...

After experimenting with a Colt Detective Special and a Taurus M85, I have settled on a S&W Model 642 Airweight.

The Colt is nice, esp. with six shots, and is well made. But at a compact 22-23 ozs. is heavy for a pocket gun.
The Taurus was also a good deal, and shot to point of aim for me. But its stainless construction was still a tad heavy. Heavy = don't carry as often = why have a CCW permit in the first place?

The S&W is the best of all worlds, IMHO. Gunsmiths like them, too. Good fit, finish, reliability, and warranty.

The enclosed hammer means it can be fired from a coat pocket, and there is no hammer to snag on a pocket draw.
(I don't worry about cocking the hammer on a snubbie for
a "long shot.")

I like aluminum over titanium because it is rust resistant but still allows enough weight to fire "serious" .38 rounds with no loss of control. I've heard from several people (though I don't know firsthand) the titanium S&W's are a real pain with hot loads.

I carry my 642 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. It's inexpensive, well-made, lightweight, breaks up the outline of the gun, and can be washed. Plus it has a strip of rough fabric to keep the holster in my pocket. If I ruin the holster, I buy another one for $11.

I shoot 158-gr. Plus-P SWC's. I know M1911 says they are a pain, but I have grown fond of them. Plus, I have confidence
in the slow-moving mid-weight. God forbid if I ever have to pull the trigger the last thought I want going through my mind is "I wonder if this is going to work?..."

My vote is for a S&W 642 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster stoked with 158-gr. Plus-P Lead Hollow Points. It's in my pocket right now, as usual, along with a back-up Bianchi Speed Strip or two. Or three.

A teaM

For years I carried a smith 36 in my pocket. The hammer always hung up when I drew the piece. I then bought a smith 642. Great gun, but heavy. I then got a 642 in trade, and consider this or it's blue brother, the 442, to be the optimum in pocket carry. I also have a model 38 which is a fine gun, but a pocket is almost as dirty a place to carry as the various ankle rigs. With the M-38 there is always an accumulation of pocket lint in the hammer shoud area.

The load that I have always carried is the Federal 125 nyclad. I have also used the Federal personal protection .38.

For the past four or five years, I have carried my snubbie in a Galco pocket holster. If this ever wears out, I will get a Kramer. Someone above recommened the uncle mike. This is a good holster for all the reasons enumerated above. Also, I have used the cheap uncle mike clip on nylon holsters. Use a razor blade and cut off the belt clip. It worked great as a pocket holster for a glock 26. However, I found the glock to be too thick to carry with any degree of comfort.

Given my druthers, I had rather carry a custom 1911 cocked and locked in an IWB rig. However I am a restaurant owner/chef and find a belt holster uncomfortable in the heat of the kitchen and too obtrusive for wear in the dining areas.(god forbid that some of my patrons would find out that I carry the means to protect them).

The ruger sp 101 is a fine gun but heavy. If I carried in a holster I would get something lighter like a Sig 220 or a kimber aluminum frame commander size...just kidding(perhaps)

I try to shoot my pocket piece at my weekly range session. However, I usually lose interest after about 10 rounds, then find something more comfortable to shoot, like a ruger. I have a Crimson Trace laser sight on a J-frame. The bragging rights are impressive, but I'm not convinced that this is a practical accessory.

At my local club, we have a j-frame defensive match every saturday. the event requires shooting one-hand off hand and weak side off-hand at 3, 7, and 10 yards. I find that participating in this match about 3 or 4 times per year helps me maintain confidence in the pocket gun.(it takes my ego a couple of months to get over the humiliation of seeing my score posted)

In closing, get one of the guns that you mentioned, a pocket holster for it and practice. Get in the habit of putting the gun and holster in your pocket when you get dressed and do not take it out until you get undressed that evening. Do not ever let anyone know that you are carrying. This gives away half the advantage of being armed.

Good shooting

Jay

Thanks guys, great input. I handled all models mentioned except for the Tauri and think I'm gonna go with the 642. I like the way the ruger felt, but its not something I could just throw in my pocket. Thanks again.

Glad to be of assistance. jaysouth is right on the money with his observations, especially the need to practice, esp. weak-handed and at various distances. I too prefer to carry a 1911 cocked and locked, or a .357 magnum. I would offer that if you like the 642, and are looking for something similarly simple in a belt gun, a stainless, hammerless 3" Ruger GP100 is a good choice, as is a Glock 19. Good luck and Best Wishes, LBC

I have both a Taurus Ultralite M85 (.38spl) and a Smith model 60 w/2 inch barrel (.357mag). The M85 points and handles well, no pain. The Smith tends to point lower than the M85, no pain with .38s, handles well with 125 grain magnums. To Mike in Va's point, a box of 158 grain maximum loads tends to make one aware of the power of the magnum loads hands tend to smart somewhat after 50 or so rounds.

My autos point much better than the snubbies. "Point and shoot" is dead on with Ruger P95 and P944. I guess I have practiced with them quite a bit more than with the snubbies and have grown accustomed to them.

Lots of luck!

WESHOOT2,

I don't know if the Model 638 is the same as the Model 38, but the former is what I have, shrouded hammer. I have to echo the sentiments I've heard here concerning S&W snubbies. They are wonderful guns. I like my Glocks better, but find I carry my 638 most of the time because it is so comfortable and very concealable. I think S&W's snubbies are the ultimate carry guns.

The 442 or 642 with Federal Nyclads is the best combination of weight, power and control. Yep!

The Ti series is light but recoil is too stiff and the 642 isn't that heavy.

The 640 is to heavy for pocket carry.

However, some friends like the Taurus. Haven't shot it, yet.

In the 38 I like the Tauras 85UL. This is the one that is 18oz. not the 13oz. one. The lighter 13oz. one recoils too much. Yes, recoil is an issue because you must train with a snubby to become proficient. Taurus has a great lifetime warranty.
In the .357 Magnum, anything lighter than the Ruger SP101 is too light and has trouble handling the recoil. I don't even shoot .357s in my Ruger GP100. The 38 at the range is perfect. For daily carry I have a Kahr P9 with 8 rounds of Corbon 110grn. and I feel well armed.

Per factory specs, the S&W 640 is 23 ozs., the S&W 642 is
15 ozs., and the Ruger SP101 is 25-26 ozs. with a 2" barrel and 27 ozs. with a 3" barrel. --LBC

Back