Snubbie .50AE?

buzz_knox

At this weekend's gun show, one of Hamilton Bowen's employees was there displaying the only .50 snubnose titanium revolver in existence (according to him). This is the same one that Gary Paul Johnston covered in an article shortly before Gene Pretzeus' death was announced. Didn't ask for all the specs as I was too awed by the light weight and the thoughts of the pain that would come with shooting it. Looked like a SP101 on steroids. I would love to try it out.

I just don't see how it would really be effective.

You'd lose so much of the powder/power from the short barrel it would be more logical to go with a snubbie .44 Mag., I'd think.

Not to mention that the fireball would be enough to scorch a city block.

Mike, it's snubnose, titanium, 5 shot .50 AE revolver that has a $2,500 price tag on it. By definition, it's impractical and not something anyone would ever carry. But, it would be FUN for a moment or two! Besides, I always wanted to own a flamethrower.

What's the symbol for a wicked grin? :) doesn't cut it.

Even for a devout big-bore fan like myself, there are limits. You can impress people with a USEFUL gun, too, can't you? I don't think we even need to discuss the practicality of such a beastie.

Freedom Arms has made up some Backpacker Models, 3" ejector rodless barrel, in .50 AE (I think), and .454 Casull (for certain). Not titanium, but sure enough impressive.

Doc Hudson

Matt,

Actually, if I saw someone with that gun, I'd laugh my butt off. I'm not kidding. I also chuckle when I see people with Desert Eagles.

I'm sorry, but most people look plain silly when trying to fire field artillery off hand... :D

Good Grief Mike Irwin!

I'd thought this was a gun forum for all members of the shooting sports? Many people do enjoy the challenge of controlling a handgun capable of delivering a quick ton of energy, Hamilton Bowen is an artist at his trade in big bore handguns as are Linebaugh, Casull, Clements and many more. For any readers here that feel as insulted as I, head out to sixgunner.com and visit with the likes of John Taffin and Jim Taylor of the Shootist Society..Roy

You know, if some punk pulled out a snubbie .50AE I know old Crocodile Dundee would just smirk and pull out one of these. :D Now this would be most impressive:

m82pistbig.jpg

Good Lord, Alaska Roy, don't be so sensitive.

I'm allowed to have opinions on what I think looks strange, ugly, humorous, etc.

I'm also allowed to express my opinions, even if it differs from the opinions of other board members, as long as I express it within the boundaries of decorum and decency.

I'm truly sorry that you've found offense with my view, but I really have to ask this (and I'm not being a smart ***), what do you care what I think?

For the record, among other things, I also get quite the kick out of:

1. Gangbanger wannabes who mount laser sights on Bryco, Jennings, Lorcins, or High Points.

2. Young "studs" who swagger around with their "big, bad & kick ass" AK-47 clone as if they're the toughest thing ever to set foot on the planet.

3. People who are shooting a 9mm and are overheard to say "Damn but that .40 Short & Whimpy wouldn't even knock down a house fly."

4. People who are overheard to say "That (insert gun name here) is a piece of CRAP! It won't work no matter what!" Ask them if they have one, or have shot one, and most times the answer is "No." Uh huh.

5. People who say "I've put 200,000 rounds through my (insert gun name here) without a SINGLE malfunction or cleaning or whatever." Ask them if they keep records of the number of rounds they've shot and most times the answer is "No." Uh huh. (I, FWIW, do keep those records.)

You get the idea. I really don't think this board is designed to be one big circular hug (or another circular activity, for that matter).

It's a place to express frank opinions on subjects relating to firearms. Not everyone may hold the same opinion. That's why it's an opinion.

Welcome to the boards. I hope to see more of you here. --Mike

A .50 AE revolver. Maybe not the most practical, but if I HAD to have a snubbie and if I really only had 1 shot...

KABLABOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!

Only if I were to be caught in the flame wash, Runner.

Just looking at that photo make me crack up. I am NOT kidding. I was laughing out loud.

Roy,

December was a year ago, I had the pleasure of visiting with Jim Taylor for a couple of days. We went to his range there on the J-T and he let me play with some of his toys.

Two cylinder fulls of full power hunting loads from his Bowen Custom .475 Linebaugh convinced me that I had no need what so ever for a boomer that big. The recoil made the FA .454 seem tame by comparison.

After shooting those big booers for a while, I figured I'd better shoot something that I was more accustomed to and that would not rap my knuckles so bad, or I'd have a world clas flinch next trip to the range. So I pulled out my old S&W M-640 and did a little practice. Nothing to brag about but it did remind my hands that boom did not have to mean pain.

Now here is the really funny part. Though that .475 made my knuckles puff up like balloons, it didn't faze Jim for an instant. However, when he gave my snubby .357 a trial, five shots turned the web of his hand red and he gave it back with a "Thanks but no thanks." Ain't it funny what we can get accustomed to shooting?

BTW, when Jim came down to the CSA 2000 Shoot last
September, he brought a bunch of creampuff loads @ about 900 fps for everyone to play around with. Much more comfortable than the same bullets at 1300+ fps.

Mike,

Though those Desert Eagle horse pistols weigh a ton, they shoot with less recoil than a light .38 Spl revolver. At least the .44 RemMag I had a chance to shoot was a pussycat in the recoil department. My objection to them for my personal use is the fact that I could not use cast bullets due to the gas sustem.

Doc

"Shoot with less recoil than a .38 Spl."

Uh, no, that's not correct, Doc. Laws of physics make that impossible. The recoil that you feel with the .50 is a slow, unstoppable upwards roll. It's spread out over time due to the nature of the action, but it's still recoil.

They MAY shoot with less felt recoil, but that too, is up to the hand of the beholder.

I've dumped a couple hundred rounds through the DE .50, a few dozen more through the Freedom Arms .50 AE whatevermodel revolver (and more than I care to remember through a couple of Linebaughs creations).

What gets me grinning about them, other than the fact that they're fun to shoot?

The SHEER SIZE OF THE CHUNK OF STEEL needed to encapsulate these cartridges. A Desert Eagle .50 AE with a fully loaded magazine weighs around 5.5 pounds. Hell, I've got a .30-06 that only weighs a few more ounces than that!

I'm surprised no one's picked up on that.

Field artillery = big?

Thank You Doc and Mike Irwin-

Doc Hudson, since you mentioned the little J frame in .357 can be uncomfortable I'll go with the crowd,it stings me too! The Desert Eagles I've shot are veeerry straight shooters but your right about the cast bullets, have you shot any of the LAR Grizzlies? Have two in .45WM and foolishly sold the bigger .50ae and now I found out that they've discontinued them? Prices have gone nuts in town on the LARs so been searching the net. Still got somespare mags for the .50ae so that's a good excuse hey? The gun in question, Bowen's .50ae I think was on his old webpage? If that's the critter then i tryed to buy it a couple years back but they didn't feel comfortable having the gun out there with handloads? Oh well, it's getting late here. Good night, Roy

I believe...

the quote I liked the most from the .50AE snubbie review went something along the lines of "...it can get kind of hard to keep it out of your face at times".

For some reason, that just conjures up a delicious mental picture of a band-aid over a fresh hammer-spur-shaped boo-boo on someone's eyebrow... ;)

Mike,

I was not speaking of the .50 AE Desert Eagle. I've never shot one of them. The .44 RemMag I shot was loaded with 240 gr. JHP's and were downright comfortable to shoot. I still say it had less felt recoil and less muzzle flip than some light .38 Special revolvers I've shot. And I mean light revolvers with heavy loads, not light loaded cartridges.

Roy,

I've never shot one or the LAR Grizzlies in any caliber. Semi-automatics just don't attract me as much as revolvers. I only shot the Desert Eagle out of curiosity. I am not knocking the huge handcannons in .475 and larger, but they just so not fit any of my needs. If I can't handle a situation with a .45 (LC/or ACP), or .44 (SPL/or Mag), or a .357 Mag, I will break out a rifle and settle things quickly. It is easier on my knuckles that way.

Tamarra,

I visualed more of a Red Badge of Courage type of turban shaped bandage. :)

Doc Hudson

Back