Snub Nose Revolver Questions

In the eye of the beholder...

I think shiro's gun looks pretty cool, myself....

Definitely not a "me, too" looking J-frame... I like that.

-tubeshooter

Tyro,

Good advice, but I'd say that depends specifically on the type of porting you have.

If you have barrel center top line porting, your advice is spot on.

But, if you have the type of porting (Magnaport?) that comprises holes of slits on either side of the barrel center top line, you might make the situation worse by canting the gun.

Quite frankly, I've yet to find a handgun that really truly benefits from porting or another form of muzzle braking, other than competitive guns and some of the UBER-magnums.

As for the politics of buying S&W, I support the ban (my S&W's were all pre-sellout), but am of the opinion that if you are intent on buying a gun to defend your life (as opposed for playing and competition), you should get the best, and S&W is the best even if they are a bunch of turncoats.

Dang, Rock-Jock, truer words have never been said.

That's why I'm glad that there is a HUGE market in used S&W handguns out there! :)

As far as having a ported barrel...
If I ever HAVE TO draw my gun and HAVE TO fire it,I think muzzle blast would be well down on my list of things to worry about.

NotBubba,

While I agree that blast and recoil would normally be the last think you'd have to worry about if you were to have to draw/fire a handgun, the potential for making your situation worse by possibly blinding yourself with the porting has to be considered, IMHO.

In a gunfight, you can do without your sense of smell or hearing, but if you lose your sense of sight, your situation just got a LOT worse.

Porting on a defensive handgun is, really, a solution looking for a question.

I think I'm going to do some testing. In a couple weeks I'll make it back out to the range, and I'm going to see what kind of damage debris and flame can do from the ported barrel on my Taurus 617. I'll also do it with my my 4" ported barrel on my K40. I'm not going to use my own body as the test, I'll hold my pistols away from my body as usual, but maybe have someone stand back with a piece of cloth or paper stretched on a stick (to keep a safe distance away from the shooter) over the porting to see how it reacts. I'll also see what a "minimun safe distance" from the porting (on these two models) would be. I'll post my results as soon as I have them, or maybe someone else has already done this or can do it sooner.

I just tested my new Jack Weigand customized SP101 with ported barrel and Ashley Outdoors Big Dot Tritium front sight. Jack recommended using Winchester Silvertips to avoid compromising the tritium sight with lead splatter. I used 145 gr .357 Silvertips. No problem at all. No problem with recoil shooting .357s. Easy to shoot tight groups with it. I could not be more happy with any gun than I am with this SP101.

Runt,

Remember, it doesn't take more than a grain or two of something hot and sharp to give you a lot of trouble.

I, actually, HAVE shot a Magnaported S&W snubbie from a high retention position.

I wear glasses, so my eyes were at least protected, but a chunk of something hit my nose hard enough to bring a bloodspot. Something hitting the eye that hard can do some seriously painful damage.

I think Tyro's advice is pretty good, as long as you're cognizant of what kind of porting is on the gun before you start training yourself to do that.

But, as I said earlier, I just don't see the reason for porting on a small defensive handgun like this.

One of the Titanium .41 or .44 Mags. maybe, but I'm not going to be picking one of those for CCW. Physically I think they're way too big for me to easily conceal.

I'm SORRY Shiroikuma!

I'm sure it's precious to you and it's true beauty is internal. Pretty is as pretty does.

I never meant to demean one of your pride and joys. I did specify ( I'm pretty sure ) that it was what the FACTORY HAD DONE that I found abhorent.

My Cobra, my Police Positive, my nickeled Diamondback, my nickeled Python target, my SAA - they show Quality.

What the factory did to your poor gun was blasphemy. And sorry again, but I stand by my earlier assesment. Your poor gun did get hit by an ugly stick.

Shiro..

That looks like a "business gun" as in its all business. I've seen so many police pistols from the 20's to the 60's with that sort of "homely look' many have the finish worn off or have been extensively re-blued or parkerized. They were 'carryguns" before anyone called a small concealable firearm by that term. Rubber band carry was pretty common for a long time on many of those.. though I would NOT recomend the practice today.

I've always wanted a Colt Detective Special because it held 6 rounds instead of 5, and was available in 357, hope it will be available soon again.

When I've carried an SP101 I used a bianchi hi-ride moulded nylon holster its fast but a bit bulky i'm also a fan of G-slide style holsters

I am extremely happy with my S&W 342. I don't find the recoil to be much of a problem at all. I shoot it fairly accurately and it carries oh so perfect.
Thanks
Michael Goeing

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. and that's me! :) He he. I admit it could look more finished, but then I'd be afraid to take it anywhere cause it might get scratched. As it is, who would notice?

I wanted the agent for a seriously small snubbie that is all "pocket gun" I don't think anything fits the bill better, though I do kind of like the Kahr P9 too. I also think stock Colt DS have much better triggers than S&W J-frames, though I've tried custome tuned j's that were very nice. Personally I really like the light smooth trigger of a colt DS. The sights are MUCH better too. I painted the front blade orange and put two white dots on the rear sight. Huge improvement in any kind of less than perfect lighting. The T grip is because it's hard if not imposible to bet nice "boot" grips for the out of production Colts' unlike the J-frames. It helps a lot with control with out bulking up like a Rubber grip.

My agent is definately a "beauty is as beauty does" gun.

so there Rusty! ;)

LOL

shiro

Back