Sniper rifle suggestions please?

I don't think you'll be able to stay under $1200.00 with the extras you are looking for.
Try that Tasco SS before you knock it, I've got one on my back-up rifle and I'm a Leupold man myself. It's much better than the $300.00 price tag suggests, optically as good as that overpriced Springfield Armory stuff, and tough as nails. The turrets are a little stiff when you first turn them, but run them up and down a few times and they get easier to turn.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

Saw a guy walking around a local gun show over the weekend with a lightly used Remington 700 VS in .308 heavy barrel (all parkerizied) on a black synthetic stock w/sling, topped off with a Leupold tactical variable power scope in matte finish. He was asking $950.00

I'm positive he would have taken less. All it needed was a harris bi-pod and you'd be good to go.

I just put together my own "sniper" rifle recently. If economy is really your number one priority, you may want to go the same route I did. I watched and waited for a sale on the Savage 10FP Tactical in .308. The local sporting goods store finally put theirs on sale for $389. (The suggested Retail on Savage's website is $462) I immediately went down to put it in layaway. I know there are going to be some replies because I mentioned Savage, but the way I see it is that I am an excellent shot with a rifle but not a competition shooter. This rifle will outshoot me, at least until I can afford to get a customized .50 cal.
I then purchased a Harris swivel bipod ($90), a BSA 4-16x40 target scope ($119), Weaver mounts and rings (about $35), and a hard case that seals against the elements ($59). I also purchased a box of Federal Gold Match ammo with the Sierra 168gr BTHP. I purchased all of the reloading supplies to reload with the Sierra bullet. I already bought the die in anticipation of this day.
All told, I spent about $900. Mind you, I would have spent less is I didn't include the reloading supplies in my grand total. Since the Remington 700 is about $300 to $400 more, I would guess that you could put together that rifle for under $1200.
One word on the scope, I love it. My decision to buy this scope was based primarily on the economy. I couldn't justify spending more on the optics than on the rifle. I have never owned a Leupold or Springfield scope, so I can't comment on those. I just know that I can see the target clearly at 300 yards, and that is where I wanted to set the zero at for now.
If anyone would like, I can post my results from the first day of shooting after I go.
So, to sum up, if you really are a college student like me and are more concerned about the economy, this post may help you out. Otherwise, my opinion is that if you are going to spend the money, go all the way and never buy another "sniper" rifle.

My long range deer rifle is a Rem. 700VSF in .308 - Leupold 6.5x20x40 AO scope with finger click dovetail elevation knob - Redfield mounts - a little trigger work -palm swell(from Brownells) - home made bipod and hand stop combo -
By shopping around and taking my time building up, I've got less than $1,200 in it. I know I'm nuts but I turned down $3,000 from a guy at the range who saw me shooting it.

Anyway, I'm happier than a fly in s*** with the rifle. On paper, It prints clover leaf 3 shot groups(or better) at 200yds nearly every time. (concrete bench, sandbagged). Anything else is my fault - not the rifle.
When shooting seriously, I normally use 173gr. DCM bullets and Fed.(fire formed) cases put together with Lee collet dies.
When plinking, the Fed. factory loads with the 168gr. match bullets are ok.

[This message has been edited by animal (edited May 03, 2000).]

What kind of difference are we talking by having Leupold 2 piece dual dove tail bases on my Rem 700 VS vs. those Mark4 $200 bases?

I have a Remington 700 VS in .308 and if you want a good cheap [precision] rifle base with plenty of upgrade options later (the parts I am sure can be sold to help with the costs of upgrade), that is the way to go. I got mine out the door for $710 after taxes and fees. I just put on my Springfield 6x40 I got with my M1A for $109 plus Leupold dual dovetail bases ($15 out of MidwayUSA) and low 1" rings ($21). I have the Harris Swivel 9"-12" bipod that I got for around $80 (please get the swivel, the fixed bipods can never compare) So I guess we are talking just about $1000 for this gun package.

Of course as soon as I get the funds I am going to spend around $500-$800 for a new Leupold scope. But just the opening group I shot with this gun is enough to make me very happy.

3 shot group at 100 yards from Remington 700 VS with .308 168gr HPBT match moly, 41.5 grains of 4895, Federal brass, and CCI primers. These are the 6th, 7th, and 8th shots I ever shot out of the gun straight from the box.
Rem%20700%208125.jpg

[This message has been edited by El Rojo (edited May 04, 2000).]

you didn't disable smileys, maybe this will work.

Guess it didn't you must have done somethign else wrong, i am very interested in seeing the pic, you can email it to me at Smoney@iolinc.net if you would.

thanks

[This message has been edited by smoney (edited May 03, 2000).]

Gentlemen:

Might I suggest that the term "sniper rifle" is something better not used, unless the discussion deals with "military weapons" and their use related to things that the military is paid to do, "break things and kill people", when it fights.

For the civilian, might I suggest any of the following terms: Precision Rifle, Target Rifle, Competition Rifle, maybe even Tactical Rifle or ANY combination of the above, other than Sniper Rifle.

Remember all the problems over "our use", incorrect use at that, of the term "assault rifle", as with "assault rifle matches" and how it has haunted us since?

For instance, that scoped deer rifle that you have used for years and years, magically becomes tomorrows "sniper rifle", the next candidate for restricting or banning. Let's not give tha anti gunners any ammunition, pardon the pun.

Alan

THANK YOU ALAN!

I long on today and fine yet one more topic with "Sniper Rifle" in it. Give me a break! Only DOD has Sniper Rifles... which are used offensively, LE has Counter Sniper Rifles (used defensively). All us others have Precision Rifles used to shoot ittle bitty groups at range.

Functionally the same... but, as our anti-firearm friends have so expertly used to their advantage, titles are everything.

Went by the range today to borrow a sight tool and there was a guy there with a new, out of the box Remington 700 LTR. He put four shots into a single hole that was very little, if any, bigger than the .308 projectile he was firing. It honestly looked like one .308 hole. The other three groups he shot while zeroing probably measured no more than 1/2 inch as he walked the POI in on the POA.

I was looking to build a 20" police precision rifle but I don't think I could build one any better than that out of the box LTR. Especially not for what he gave for it. I think he said $780?? I am looking for one to buy now. He let me handle it and it was the best out of the box rifle I have ever held in my hands. Tooooo schweeeeeeeet!!!! :D

I gotta have it!!

------------------
For Sale: SIG P220 - see handgun classified forum.

Georgia TFL'ers get together:
May 20, 2000-From 3pm to 6pm
http://www.wolfcreek-gun.com

R6...aka...Chris

Clint Tickler : Heavy, fully free-floated, fluted barrel. Stock is Kevlar composite with full - length aluminum block bedding.
Rem.700VSF is basically the same as the 700VSSF except it has a matte black finish instead of being stainless.

"Sniper Rifle" ? Mine is a long range Deer Rifle. :)

OK Alan, my Lee Enfield No 4 (T) and M1D are sniper rifles and why not? They're military and were issued for such purposes. My HS Precision with free floated 26" fluted barrel, Phrobis scope with Mark IV rings and base is a .308 caliber Varmint rifle. Thank you for the clarification.

I used sniper rifle for a vaiety of reasons, one being that the purpose of using it will be in sniper training courses, and for sniper matches, (carlos hathcock) benefit match at. storm mountin, wv. a tactical rifle is like an AR 15 usually, percision long range rifle would work i guess.

does LTR mean light tactical rifle? whats the barrel length? it is a steel bbl, right?

BTW distances to be shot are from 500 to 1000yds.

thanks guys, keep em coming!

Back