smokeless powder in Cap and Ball- why not???

Black powder burn MUCH faster than smokless

BUt under pressure or contained smokless burn rate changes and black does not.
Smokless as the pressure goes up the burn rate goes up which caues the pressure to go up which causes the burn rate to,,,, well you get the idea.
For cap and ball revolvers I use a volume measure, Its a flask with a tube and a spring loaded valve.
I can get consistant loads to with in 1 or 2 granes of black and for round ball shooting thats really good enough,
The big thing with volume measurements you need to make sure they are completle full before dumping them in the chamber.
I for one would never even think of using smokless in a black powder gun.
There was one stupid person at the range that I shoot at several years ago blew a colt repo into about 20 parts.
The range officer confisgated the gun and what they found in one or the remaining chambers still full of powder was it was 1/4 filled with smokless and the remainder was black FFF.
This num nuts said he was trying to get the black powder to ignite faster.
He actualy fired two rounds before parts of the gun was inbedded in his face and hands.

why not

so why doesnt anyone make a cap and ball revolver that will stand the high pressure smokelss loads? seems like it'd be a lot cleaner.

Not enough demand. People who shoot frontstuffers generally want the BP experience as well - unless legislation confines them to muzzleloaders.

Back